|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Shafts.

Shafts.

I want to reshaft my srixons with project x 5.5 as they work very well in the snake eyes. Also want to lengthen them a half inch. Thinking if I get a set of 6.0s and soft step them once, should get the increase in length plus play fairly close to the 5.5s. Am I correct?
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Never had any experience with project x shafts, only True Temper stepped shafts. The old rule of thumb for stepping is that each step changes the flex by approximately 1/3. So a 6.0 soft-stepped once should play around 5.7 given the same playing length. Now when you cut the shaft to play longer or shorter, you will be making it play softer or stiffer respectively. Depending on the shaft and how sensitive you are to flex. a half inch longer soft-stepped 6.0 might be your ticket with just one soft step instead of two. I assume you would be buying the 6.0's used to save some bucks. If not and you're buying them new, why not just get a set of 5.5's?
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Thanks mongrel. Looking at getting some pulls off the bay and easier to find 6.0's in a standard length than 5.5s +1/2.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Found some uncut 5.5s 3-pw cheap so problem solved.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

As I may have mentioned, my wife bought me a 14.5 degree Cally X Hot Pro 3 Deep. It came with a PX 6.5 shaft on it. As with all graphite shafted clubs, I took it to my clubfitter to check out the performance and see if there is something better. More to just figure out if the off the shelf shaft is drastically unsuited.

Off the rack, the club is very long, about 43.5" which is close to driver length. This fitter said that the PX 6.5 wasn't a "made for" and that it's a very good shaft. The first thing the guy did was cut it down by 3/4". I took it to the range the next day, but didn't really get any good results. It was supposed to be about 50* but it was only about 40 and there was a 25mph crosswind. Everything looked like crap, and not just 3 woods. Plus, I use 3 woods off the tee much more than off the turf, and all the ranges around here are full on mats this time of year. Couldn't find a proper tee height.

Doing a side by side with my current gamer, I think the 3 deep is slightly better off turf. I may have to wait until it's warmer and the SPCC range opens up to really evaluate this thing.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Lopping that much shaft off the butt end probably made the swingweight 4-5 points lighter. In order to compensate for that loss and have the shaft perform as designed for that head, around 7-10 grams should have been added to the tip end of the shaft.

My trick for making a good iron/hybrid/fairway wood tee for the rubber mat range is to find a rubber range tee that sits flush with the top of the mat or make one with the box cutter I keep in my bag. Then I'll take the filter of a smoked cigarette, stuff it into the rubber tee hole, and then insert a short wood tee in the filter. Works like a charm.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Lopping that much shaft off the butt end probably made the swingweight 4-5 points lighter. In order to compensate for that loss and have the shaft perform as designed for that head, around 7-10 grams should have been added to the tip end of the shaft.

My trick for making a good iron/hybrid/fairway wood tee for the rubber mat range is to find a rubber range tee that sits flush with the top of the mat or make one with the box cutter I keep in my bag. Then I'll take the filter of a smoked cigarette, stuff it into the rubber tee hole, and then insert a short wood tee in the filter. Works like a charm.
    Good point on the swing weight. That's one of my gripes with FW wood shafts to begin with. Too light.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

How are you guys faring with the Polar Vortex? The media seems to think we are at the dawn of a new Ice Age in the north and east.

We just hope it brings some nice snow. If it takes a new Ice Age to improve conditions I'm for it.
    GR lives...

I can safely report that the polar vortex has been over for a week and only lasted about 60 hours.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    How are you guys faring with the Polar Vortex? The media seems to think we are at the dawn of a new Ice Age in the north and east.

We just hope it brings some nice snow. If it takes a new Ice Age to improve conditions I'm for it.
    As HB testifyed, it was intense but short. Back here near DC, it was a real mean mo-fo. So bad that when I got to work in the morning of the first Vortex Day when I had to walk the half mile from parking garage to office building in -30* windchill, I went on the internet and researched cheap condos on the northeast coast of Florida for about an hour.

There are upsides with a New Ice Age. A real one like with glaciers coming south and covering developed land destroying all infrastucture and building improvements. And a goodly percentage of humanoid population would be extinguished, too. One man's catastrophe is another's opportunity. When the ice fog clears and the glaciers recede, it will be an unparelled opportunity for re-development of both humanity and humanity's things. Just think. All the slums will be gone. In fact all cities will be gone. All infrastructure including worn out overcrowded highway. Above ground electrical transmission infrastructure. Polluted rivers. Poorly designed golf courses with bad holes. Obsolete restaurants and other commercial buildings.

It would be good to get the contract to rebuild all the stuff. And there might be some cool fossils too. I wonder how much you could sell the petrofied skeleton of Justin Bieber for on Ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    As HB testifyed, it was intense but short. Back here near DC, it was a real mean mo-fo. So bad that when I got to work in the morning of the first Vortex Day when I had to walk the half mile from parking garage to office building in -30* windchill, I went on the internet and researched cheap condos on the northeast coast of Florida for about an hour.

There are upsides with a New Ice Age. A real one like with glaciers coming south and covering developed land destroying all infrastucture and building improvements. And a goodly percentage of humanoid population would be extinguished, too. One man's catastrophe is another's opportunity. When the ice fog clears and the glaciers recede, it will be an unparelled opportunity for re-development of both humanity and humanity's things. Just think. All the slums will be gone. In fact all cities will be gone. All infrastructure including worn out overcrowded highway. Above ground electrical transmission infrastructure. Polluted rivers. Poorly designed golf courses with bad holes. Obsolete restaurants and other commercial buildings.

It would be good to get the contract to rebuild all the stuff. And there might be some cool fossils too. I wonder how much you could sell the petrofied skeleton of Justin Bieber for on Ebay?
    The stratosphere doesn't concern me but if I see the troposphere headed my way I'm heading south. Perhaps it's not too soon to buy a place in Costa Rica for my family friends and me.

I could see placing his skull at the bottom of a toilet with his jaws open and pointed up but other than that I'm stymied.
    GR lives...

OK Mongrel. Pulled the heads by hand which was a piece of cake and started rebuilding. Dry fitted everything and checked the swing weight. Of course the first one was D0. My other set are at D4 so now have to wait until the tip weights get here to finish them. Could have used lead tape but since they are all apart using the tip weights instead for a neater look. My buddy has a shaft puller so I ordered a new Motore F3 for my driver. I could get caught up in this club building shite very easily.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Also got Pure grips with the airgun for dirt cheap off of ebay and love it. makes
    tinkering with the clubs much easier and cheaper as it doesn't ruin the grip.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135 View Post
    OK Mongrel. Pulled the heads by hand which was a piece of cake and started rebuilding. Dry fitted everything and checked the swing weight. Of course the first one was D0. My other set are at D4 so now have to wait until the tip weights get here to finish them. Could have used lead tape but since they are all apart using the tip weights instead for a neater look. My buddy has a shaft puller so I ordered a new Motore F3 for my driver. I could get caught up in this club building shite very easily.
    Four swing weights light means you are going to need an 8 gram tip weight, right? When I did my latest MX 25 reshafting, I did a club, weighed it, and then took it out and hit it. Then I added lead tape until it felt right. I am thinking that if this cold weather lasts longer than normal, I might just re-pull the irons I already shafted and substitute tip weights for the lead tape. And since I used the old ferrules and nicked them up pretty good pulling them, it might be a good idea because now my clubs all look like the golf equivalent of the automotive "rat rods".

Yes, club building for yourself can get expensive if you don't watch it. That's why I'm lucky to have a shop nearby that does a lot of reshafting of woods and sells all its graphite shaft pulls for $15 each no matter what the shaft. I've got an Aldila RIP Gamma in my gamer Titleist driver that in no way should work for me and my modest swing speed but for $15 I gambled on it and it has been better than any of the other 10 I've played in that head.

Didn't really know which weight to get so just ordered half a dozen each of 10, 8, and 6. 1.99 per half dozen. Figured I'd put everything together, weigh it, then epoxy. Found a website where just plug in the balance point and weight of the club and it figured out the swingweight. Won't be golfing here for at least 8-10 weeks so got plenty of time to tinker.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135 View Post
    Didn't really know which weight to get so just ordered half a dozen each of 10, 8, and 6. 1.99 per half dozen. Figured I'd put everything together, weigh it, then epoxy. Found a website where just plug in the balance point and weight of the club and it figured out the swingweight. Won't be golfing here for at least 8-10 weeks so got plenty of time to tinker.
    I used to use that website until I found the formula that calculates inch grams with the table that converts that number to swing weights. It is quicker for me to weigh a club on my gram scale, measure the balance point, subtract 14 and multiply and then consult the table than it is to get on the internet and enter the weight and balance point on the website. Since my wife occupies the computer most of the time. You can find the formula and a whole lot more on Dave Tutelman's website. The guy is a real golf club scientist.

Thread Information