|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Reoccurring Theme on GR...

Isn't it funny that about every 6 months, some fresh fish come to the forum that both Monty and Roscoe just have to rag on so hard that either or both of them have to be banned for?

This isn't the first time this has happened, and it's not really that suprising. The scary and confusing part of all of this is that because of thread locks and unequaled treatment between all of those on this site by the moderators has alot to do with these events unfolding. This point comes merely from observation, not from experience.

Now, i'm not defending Monty or Roscoe or Buddha or The master or Quentin or myself or anyone for that matter. It's just unfortunate that there are "grey areas" when it comes to objectional content on this site when in fact it should be black and white. You talk someone down, see ya. No if's, ands or buts.

Personally, I would love an "Off Topic" forum where anything goes, where one would expect to be ridiculed for asking stupid questions or posting hideous pictures. I, for one, would be one of the first to sign up. If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at? And if you can't take the heat, get out of the "off topic" forum.

I've found many instances of "moderator favoritism" on this forum, and it's somewhat disheartening. As much of a couple of jerks that Monty and Roscoe both were, they really did provide alot of entertainment for many of us on this board. It's just unfortunate that there wasn't a forum present that invited it, plain and simple.

A simple measure of creating a lobby where people could go to ask equipment questions plus another for golf/life/everyday related comments and threads would be welcomed with open arms.

I don't know about the rest of you, but don't you feel as though we've all been here before?

I'm not calling anyone out here, and perhaps i'm just stating the obvious.

Personally, I think the board needs a facelift.

If not, i'll see you guys in 6 months when I write this same thread.

Just my $0.02. Remember, that's Canadian, so it's really more like 1.4 cents.

R35
    "35 on the front, 50 on the back....I love this game."

I would sign up the second it was brought in I like to have a laugh and if certain people can't they can stay out of it, I origginally had this idea about 2 weeks ago, buddha notified Dork, Dork notified Francios and Francios said it could be easy done so I don't see the problem, it would be a great idea there will be a lot thess flame wars and we can make the forum a better place for all thats just my $0.02 which is about a shilling, half a penny.
    Feels just like it should.

Quote Originally Posted by rockford35

R35
    Actually, we're up to about 1.6! A few weeks ago it was probably closer to 1.75.

Moderating has turned out to be a far more difficult and time consuming process than I ever imagined when Francis asked me to do it. I try to be fair, but to be completely fair and objective is humanly impossible. How some people are treated also can depend on how they respond to private mails to and from me about their posts. When someone responds with, "I'm sorry. I'll tone it down", and then they actually do it, they are going to be treated differently than someone who basically spits in my face.

The fact that some people are repeat offenders creates a greater problem than someone who gets carried away, apologizes, and changes his tactics.

If newbies or lurkers want to ask a question, they should be able to do that without getting jumped on and insulted. I have some experience with teaching. Yes, some questions are the same ones that we've heard many times before, but it is the first time that person has asked that particular question. They have a right to an answer, even though any particular person has the privilege of NOT responding to the question, or just ignoring the thread entirely.

It is time for people to stop, take a deep breath, and move on with a little consideration for their fellow human beings. Feeling so superior to the rest of the world that one feels entitled to insult and degrade at will is not healthy.

I whole-heartedly agree , Dork.

However, if someone jumps on a newbie, then ban them for a certain amount of time.

The fact that this is often overlooked is just the beginning of a melting pot of "oh, if i can do that, now i'll push the envelope further".

I'm not pointing fingers, but if Francis needs more mods, he should ask for them. I, personally, would like to be a mod, but I would never be selected because even I have been known to toe the line. Impartiality is few and far between, and it's unfortunate that there aren't more of you around.

I just wish there was an area where you had fair warning for experiencing abuse. I think alot of the longtime members would be slabs on concrete in a place like that, never moving. And, you'd offer an area for newbies and current members to ask "serious" golf questions.

It would also make your life much easier, I would suspect.

Easier said than done. I know.

R35

Rock, nice post. I was only here for the last edition but yes, this one was very similar.
    The idea of an anything goes forum would be intertesting. That way if a thread got out of hand it could be moved rather than locked or deleted. Maybe even name it Satans corner.

Q, you haven't been here for several months and part of what you've missed was Monty offering good advice most of the time. Regardless of what else you think of him, he does know golf.

That said, there doesn't seem to be a reason to attack newcomers just because they ask a question that's been asked a hundred times or that seems silly to most of us. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to poke a little fun, just no need to attack.

Like most of you I've looked around at other forums and participate at one other. But, I always find my way back here. GR has always had an edge to it that other forums, that I've visited, don't have. I hope it doesn't lose too much of that.

Thanks Dave.

I think alot of regulars feel the same way that I do around here, besides those who couldn't turn away from Monty and Roscoe when they came at them. I think it's happened to all of us, just some don't take it as personally.

And I agree about your words about Monty. They guy can play. And he knows more about the game than 95% of the guys and gals here.

GR is a great forum. It's just unfortunate that the 95% of the posts here are from about 20 people and the other 5% are from the other 400. Some of the little guys just get in the way and don't understand the people here or the "rules".

R35

Yeah nice post rock. Dork not to take anything away from you, you do a phenomeal job and I doubt any one else could do it any better but that is a good suggestion by rock you said yourself it is a difficult job, so why don't you ask francios if rock could help you he appears to be a good candidate no history of flaming, are jumping on new-comers it could give the board a chance to evolve and become better just my thought I know it means nothing but anyway.
    Feels just like it should.

My hope is that without the badgering and insulting of people who ask honest questions, there WILL be a greater number of people who post here. This board has been dominated by a few people who mainly engage in flame wars, but offer almost nothing constructive to anyone. Maybe it will change, maybe it won't. We can all hope.....

Isn't it funny that about every 6 months, some fresh fish come to the forum that both Monty and Roscoe just have to rag on so hard that either or both of them have to be banned for?

This isn't the first time this has happened, and it's not really that suprising. The scary and confusing part of all of this is that because of thread locks and unequaled treatment between all of those on this site by the moderators has alot to do with these events unfolding. This point comes merely from observation, not from experience.

Now, i'm not defending Monty or Roscoe or Buddha or The master or Quentin or myself or anyone for that matter. It's just unfortunate that there are "grey areas" when it comes to objectional content on this site when in fact it should be black and white. You talk someone down, see ya. No if's, ands or buts.

Personally, I would love an "Off Topic" forum where anything goes, where one would expect to be ridiculed for asking stupid questions or posting hideous pictures. I, for one, would be one of the first to sign up. If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at? And if you can't take the heat, get out of the "off topic" forum.

I've found many instances of "moderator favoritism" on this forum, and it's somewhat disheartening. As much of a couple of jerks that Monty and Roscoe both were, they really did provide alot of entertainment for many of us on this board. It's just unfortunate that there wasn't a forum present that invited it, plain and simple.

A simple measure of creating a lobby where people could go to ask equipment questions plus another for golf/life/everyday related comments and threads would be welcomed with open arms.

I don't know about the rest of you, but don't you feel as though we've all been here before?

I'm not calling anyone out here, and perhaps i'm just stating the obvious.

Personally, I think the board needs a facelift.

If not, i'll see you guys in 6 months when I write this same thread.

R35
    That's not what I remembered you wanting at shottalk.com. Why does this place need it, but that place doesn't? Go bring it over there if that's what you want. Can't Sling make that happen for you?

Rock, assuming the idea of going through a OT board where anything goes happens, how many newbies you think will go there to get slapped around? It will only be the GR oldies going at each other and even that will start getting stale sooner than later.
    Monty and Roscoe provided great entertainment but they should have known where to stop. I hope they get reinstated because as someone said above, Monty did have good golf advise to give.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin
    That's not what I remembered you wanting at shottalk.com. Why does this place need it, but that place doesn't? Go bring it over there if that's what you want. Can't Sling make that happen for you?
    Calling the kettle black, aren't we?

I seem to remember you telling me to get off someone's johnson.

It was great when you weren't here.

R35

I am unsure which 'new member' got ragged on so thoroughly by those guys. Can you let me in on it?

I would love to know which new member Montagle tried to drive away from the board.

Thanks,

Goalvy Besson

Quote Originally Posted by Sherm
    Recurring...
    Ya, I know.....that was a legit typo....after the original rant, i wasn't about to care much about it....

Thanks Sherm.

Were you been?

R35

Still wondering who the fresh fish was that got tore to pieces.

Humor me, I wrote you 22 pages on blades vs. cavity, how about you name this fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Besson

Humor me, I wrote you 22 pages on blades vs. cavity, how about you name this fish?
    Yeah. Out with it.
    there are probably only a couple of golfers that should refer to themselves as the master. I am sure it is not anyone on this board.

I had a rivalry (which was friendly and htere were posts to prove this) with Classic.
    I was nice to Master and told him I admired him for showing up for that match.

I am at a loss as to who the fish was. I am excited to make amends with the fish though, once I figure out who he is.

It wasn't just one person, there were many. I was one of them but in a way I deserved it ( I'm sure people rember My Caps Fetich When I First Arrived). Were is the blades vs cavity backs article, I have yet to see I'd like to though????
    Serenity NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Quote Originally Posted by Slice of heaven
    This besson man is not good?
    He's very good and genuine. Ask him any question and he'll answer it for you. Very, very helpful, SOH. You'll grow to love him like the rest of us. Right gang?

BTW, it amazes me that everyone who called him a jerk in his two day absence are suddenly quiet and kiss ass. Grow some balls.
    I keeps it real.

Hey, I made the attempt.

Instead I got extreme sarcasm that Monty is known for. It wasn't unexpected, mind you.

I'm just not opening up that jar anymore. It's done. Today is a brand new day.

R35

Yeah, I just don't understand how someone can get their jollies from treating people like garbage. I guess the one thing I haven't learned in my 28 years is you can't change people like that. They perpetuate their own unhappiness in life; nothing I say will change that. I just don't like being a prop to boost someone's low self esteem. I would hope others don't either. I'm taking a stand. I might have caused undue drama on this site, but I'm taking a stand.
    I keeps it real.

Good stuff buddha you sir are my new hero.

All the power to you.

I'll just site ildy by, watch the sparks fly.

I also have to be ready to answer quality questions like:

"I need a new set of irons. I play 40 times a year and shoot in the mid 90's. I have an old set of Golden Bears. What irons should I be playing? I want to be able to shoot mid 70's. I'm 5'11 and 180lbs. Thanks."

My interpretation:

"I need new irons. I play alot considering I live in Canada. 40 times a year is nothing in the southern US. I have my Dad's old clubs. I have no clue. I want the impossible. If it helps, i had chocolate milk for lunch. Thanks.

Good luck in your quest Buddha. You and Sam will need all the help you can get to get to the fires of Mordor. Once there, throw the ring in.

One poster to rule them all.....

R35

I had a rivalry (which was friendly and htere were posts to prove this) with Classic.
    I was nice to Master and told him I admired him for showing up for that match.

I am at a loss as to who the fish was. I am excited to make amends with the fish though, once I figure out who he is.
    Monty, how could you have a "Rivalry" with Classic when he had but a handful of posts and he claimed he does care to post enough here?
    Is the rivalry a result of Classic calling you a beeyotch?

"I need new irons. I play alot considering I live in Canada. 40 times a year is nothing in the southern US. I have my Dad's old clubs. I have no clue. I want the impossible. If it helps, i had chocolate milk for lunch. Thanks.
    R35
    LOL thats too funny. Choclate milk eh! do you think it'll help my short game?

Quote Originally Posted by buddha33
    He's very good and genuine. Ask him any question and he'll answer it for you. Very, very helpful, SOH. You'll grow to love him like the rest of us. Right gang?

BTW, it amazes me that everyone who called him a jerk in his two day absence are suddenly quiet and kiss ass. Grow some balls.
    buddha:

I hear you... I pissed you off early on and apologized to you. Did the same with Montagle.

Like Tennisbumbishop, I made light of (what I felt) was a very rich vein of comedic material - while not belittling him directly.

I am just that kind of personality. I am not going to be drawn into a flamewar with someone....While I do have a more firey side, it takes much, much more than an internet golf board to bring it out.

My parodies are intended to be amusing while not insulting the person directly.

Like roasting someone for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo35223
    buddha:

I hear you... I pissed you off early on and apologized to you. Did the same with Montagle.

Like Tennisbumbishop, I made light of (what I felt) was a very rich vein of comedic material - while not belittling him directly.

I am just that kind of personality. I am not going to be drawn into a flamewar with someone....While I do have a more firey side, it takes much, much more than an internet golf board to bring it out.

My parodies are intended to be amusing while not insulting the person directly.

Like roasting someone for dinner.
    Actually, Bravo, I don't think you've ever done me wrong. At least not that I can remember. It was me who read some of your posts incorrectly and acted without class. I believe I've done the same with LBC, who I've since learned is a pretty decent guy. I regret my incorrect presumptions about both of you.

I've noticed a pattern on this site. Newbies arrive and are presented with an interesting, yet sometimes insulting atmosphere. Because of the bonding and "been there, answered that" comradery of the senior class, newbies are often heckled or chastised for their newness. Some put up with it, some don't. If they do stick around through the iniation, they're soon part of the community. The master and Mahalleday can attest to this cycle.

The point of this observation is that because of the initial insulting atmosphere, people are either completely turned off from this site, or can gather bad first impressions. Those who stick around will learn that most in our community are pretty friendly and helpful.

Except, Rock. He'll always be a jackhole.
    I keeps it real.

Unfortunately, Roscoe is posting as "Slice of Heaven" in an attempt to make fun of newbies and naive questions. He's been re-banned.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

You bastard. And that word again, jackhole.

Where's The master when I need him. That guy could interpret a few words slammed together in a heartbeat.

My garage door broke tonight. -36 with windchill. I'm suprised my hands work my fingers were so cold. Big fat mitts and small bolts don't go hand in hand.

R35, er, Jackhole35

R35, er, Jackhole35
    I like it. Much more fitting.
    I keeps it real.

Im'a warm my hands up in your fiance. Jerk.

Or, Feonce as The master calls her.

I thought he was talking about someone from Destiny's Child for a minute there.

R35

"Im'a warm my hands up in your fiance. Jerk. "

I don't quite understand. Could you explain more? Is a fiance an oven? Or a fireplace or something?

-36 with windchill. That's aint so bad! I like it when my legs sting and burn because it's so cold. Or, when you can go outside and throw boiling water into the air and it comes down as ice pellets. I did that...I think it has to be like -35 air temp. This is in degress F for those of you non-U.S.ians. People who worry about windchill are the same people who can't break 150. I have factual information to support that.

Actually, I had car trouble this weekend and was working on my car in -5F weather. That was temperature. Wind was about 20-25mph...probably about -30 to -40 windchill. It was horrible. Needless to say, I won't be golfing outside for a few months. So, I'm glad you got your garage door fixed and I wish you luck with your frozen hands...are they still puffy and itchy?

I've noticed a pattern on this site. Newbies arrive and are presented with an interesting, yet sometimes insulting atmosphere. Because of the bonding and "been there, answered that" comradery of the senior class, newbies are often heckled or chastised for their newness. Some put up with it, some don't. If they do stick around through the iniation, they're soon part of the community. The master and Mahalleday can attest to this cycle.

The point of this observation is that because of the initial insulting atmosphere, people are either completely turned off from this site, or can gather bad first impressions. Those who stick around will learn that most in our community are pretty friendly and helpful.
    Well you just pegged it - and your description is quite indicative of humans (males in this case) in group behavior - commonly known as "sociology".

Your description of the phenomenon is on target. Many come on and only a few - have what it takes to last. (I am not Defending it - just "calling it as it is".)

As a result, those left standing get the respect of the others.

Rather Darwinian - don't you think??

I'll just site ildy by, watch the sparks fly.
    We're gonna start charging. We can't afford to keep this a free show without audience participation.
    I keeps it real.

We're gonna start charging. We can't afford to keep this a free show without audience participation.
    Pay Buddha by Paypal. You send him $10. Paypal keeps $9.75, and he gets 25 cents....
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

My lawsuit is still in progress for those of you who defamed my character. You know who you are! And if you don't, pay me anyway! See, if you pay up beforehand I won't file the lawsuit against you. If you don't, because I have so much emotional distress from being made fun of on this forum, you're going to pay! My lawyer is the guy that helps famous people get out of drug convictions. Can't think of his name. So, y'all better be worried. That's right! Start shakin'! Oh, and if you feel like paying me, say $500 dollars to make things better, just let me know and we'll figure out the best way to get me the money. By the way, I'm totally serious. No joking at all. None. Not even the smallest bit. I swear. I'm deeply hurt.

Thread Information