|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Tiger playing Titleist ball

Hello

A few weeks ago i watched Tiger playing a tournament, one of his shots (a chip shot) was replayed in slow motion, and i could see what i believe was a Titleist ball. Is it possible? Is he playing Titleist again?

You must of been seing things he is contracted to play the nike one he definetly wasn't playing titleist.
    Feels just like it should.

I'd be very surprised also.

I think Nike is paying handsomely for the swoosh ball to be in his bag and would have substantial penalties (termination of contract) if he did otherwise...

Eldrick is under no contract to play Nike Equipment at any time.

He can play whatever he needs to be successful. That's written straight into his contract.

The fact that he plays Nike equipment speaks volumes for the strides that Nike has done in the golf world.

Personally, I think it all sucks.

R35
    "35 on the front, 50 on the back....I love this game."

Im sorry rock your one of my best friends n the forum but your wrong he is getting 40 million to play nike he can not play any other clubs and wear any other clothing untill his contract expires he plays a titleist 3-wood but that is the only club that isn't nike. He is not allowed to sign calloway,taylormade and many other leading brands equipment its in his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by The master
    Im sorry rock your one of my best friends n the forum but your wrong he is getting 40 million to play nike he can not play any other clubs and wear any other clothing untill his contract expires he plays a titleist 3-wood but that is the only club that isn't nike. He is not allowed to sign calloway,taylormade and many other leading brands equipment its in his contract.
    Geeze, this must be a lie then:

"Tiger Woods is restructuring his contract with Nike to more than double its current value, paying him between $80 million and $90 million in the next five years, according to a published report.

Nike's decision to renegotiate the deal was accelerated by two of his TV commercials -- including one depicting Woods bouncing a golf ball off a club head, Golf World magazine reported in its Aug. 27 editions.

Woods' original five-year contract with Beaverton, Ore.-based Nike, signed in 1996, was for $40 million. Since signing that eye-popping deal, Woods won the 1997 Masters and this year's PGA Championship, reached the world No. 1 ranking and raised public consciousness about the sport of golf.

Woods also has a contract with Titleist to play its clubs and balls, and Titleist officials felt the TV spots created the impression that Woods was endorsing Nike's golf ball.

Titleist sued Nike on June 25 in U.S. District Court in Boston, alleging the ads violate Woods' exclusive contract to endorse Titleist balls and clubs.

Golf World also quoted unidentified sources at Titleist as saying that the Fairhaven, Mass.-based company will cut its financial obligation to Woods in half, to $2 million a year, and will no longer have its name on his golf bag.

Mark Steinberg, who handles Woods' affairs for International Management Group, told the magazine that the conflict between Nike and Titleist over the ads was the impetus for both deals to be restructured.

"There would have been renewal talks in the next eight to 12 months anyway, but this way there are no lawsuits and no damage to Tiger Woods, Nike or Titleist," Steinberg told Golf World.

The magazine quoted the Titleist sources as saying the company long felt it wasn't getting enough exposure for the money it was paying Woods because his hat and shirt contain either the Nike swoosh or the logo of his clothing line.

Golf World also reported that American Express or Rolex are likely contenders to replace Titleist as the name on Woods' golf bag."

Dude, it's well known that he has an open ended contract with both Nike and Titleist.

R35

I read that in a article in golf monthly it may be crap your story sounds good so im wrong. Were is that article from.

Yeh, but it'd be pretty ironic, since he helped develop the One ball...In addition to the TA series.

Love that TW hat, too. Wonder if it has a built in sweatband?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott K
    Yeh, but it'd be pretty ironic, since he helped develop the One ball...In addition to the TA series.

Love that TW hat, too. Wonder if it has a built in sweatband?
    are you mocking me?

Ocean Course Santa Barbara...better than Pebble Beach
    hey master...rockford is right on this one....

tiger even did advertisemnts for nike a few years ago where he talked about how his contract with nike says he can play any manufacturer he wants...and ended with a quote from el tigre to this effect.."that ought to keep the pressure on the folks at nike"...meaning to make some great equipment or he will just switch...

that's why he started playing the titelist driver again last year , remember that..?..

i just bought the nike forged wedges 50 and 62 degree...they are on sale now at 69.99 at the golf warehouse...they are very nice...nicer even than my cleveland 900s form forged gunmetal...

i'm keeping my 56 cg10 wedge though...cleveland...soft baby soft...
    Last edited by Czar of the Short Game; 12-17-2004 at 05:13 PM.

The clip mentioned wasn't of Tiger Woods, it was by Nick Faldo showing the effect of spin in different lies in the rough. They just happened to show it after a Tiger Woods shot, and the spinning Titleist logo is what he pointed out as being the effect of the lie.

Woods still plays the Nike One Gold TW and can play any equipment on the market he wants to (remember when he went back to his 975D after struggling with the Ignite last year for a little while?)

Done a bit of reasearch Rock your correct he can play any equipment, but has to wear nike clothing it is in his contract. And yes your right I remember when he went back to the D earlier this year he lost about 20yrds with it.

if he was smart he would have switched

Quote Originally Posted by The master
    Done a bit of reasearch Rock your correct he can play any equipment, but has to wear nike clothing it is in his contract. And yes your right I remember when he went back to the D earlier this year he lost about 20yrds with it.

I don't care if he has to wear a mini skirt, he doesn't have to play Nike equipment. That's what this whole thread was about.

So he plays Titleist balls, so what? Is he back? Sure, back to back wins seems to give that impression. And choosing 3 wood and 2 iron over the driver off the tee shows he's starting to realize the weakness of his game.

Thread over.

R35

Thread not over he is not playing titleist balls, he is playing the nike one, and he has enough money to pick any company and not get payed by them, obviously nike are looking after him well or I think he would be playing a full bag a titleist sticks.

What im trying to say is if Titleist and Nike were ofering him the same amount of money who do you think he would pick the titleist clubs he played in 99,00 or the nike clubs he played in 02,03,04 I think we all know the answer he obviously wants more cah no one can have enough money.

Im sorry if that post doesn't make sense im falling asleep kind off im in the middle of watching reservoir dogs

Now thread over.
    Last edited by The master; 12-18-2004 at 02:55 PM.

I got a contract with nike. But I have to give them $20 for 12 balls. It was a crummy contract

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by kirksey74
    I got a contract with nike. But I have to give them $20 for 12 balls. It was a crummy contract
    That's brutal. Maybe after it's up you can renegotiate a better deal.

Like, you have a contract with Nike, yet they allow you play a ball that actually performs.

Nice work. I like the sarcasm there.

R35

Bottom line is Tiger doesn't play Titleist balls, he has used Nike balls since 1999 and before that he used the Titleist Professional 90. Tiger can play anything he wants, and if he wished to play the ProV1 you can bet he would have done it years ago rather than now.

in the cycling racing world...

In pro cycling they often "rebadge" bicycles and equipment. For example, the first couple years Lance won the Tour de France he was supposedly riding a Trek in the time trials but it was actually a Litespeed repainted and logo'ed to look like a Trek since he was under contract to Trek. Does this go on in golf? Wouldn't it be simple to get some say Titleist balls imprinted to look like Nike?

Sometimes they'll use a different driver than their contract, but use the contracted club cover for the benefit of the cameras. I personally observed this by following one of the top pros around a year or two ago. The cover said, "Cleveland", but he was playing a Taylormade driver.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Yes Dork that would of been Vijay does he still do it, many tour players do it.

According to Adam Barr of TGC, Vijay was just recently hand delivered a Launcher Comp made to his specs prior to one of the last few tournaments.

Not sure how it went, or if he even played it.

Thread Information