|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

*8 Bounce - - - Too Little? Too Much?

As you know I'm trying to decide which degree of wedges to go with when I buy my Vokeys: 52*/56*/60* OR 52*/58*.

I really like the two wedge system...usually the fewer choices I have the better (because I have fewer decisions to make on the course) and that would allow me another club in the bag.

The only problem I have with the 52*/58* is that both of these wedges come with 8* bounce.

Is 8* bounce too little of bounce to use when getting out of sand or deep rough?

Is 8* bounce too much bounce to use out of fairways?

Thanks for any help you can give.

TBB

If you are going to go with a 2 wedge system (plus the pitching wedge in your iron set, I presume; really a 3 wedge setup, technically, though the "pitching wedge" in most iron sets is really a "10 iron") I'd go with a higher bounce on the 58. That's the one you'll tend to use out of bunkers, and something in the 12-14 degrees of bounce might be more suitable for that purpose.
    Good luck.

Another consideration

I know this is getting a little picky, but you might want to take into consideration the type and amount of sand in your bunkers when making a decision on this.

As noted above, the majority of golfers have very substantial bounce in the club they use from bunkers and a loft of around 56-58. This is due to the fact that most bunkers have fluffy sand that is fairly deep. The additional weight is essential to help the club make its way through...

I have a friend (3 index) who recently moved to Charleston, SC). He told me he took his high bounce 56* wedge out of his bag because the courses in his area have bunkers with less sand. He is able to get out of bunkers fine with a low bounce wedge, which he also uses for approaches, chips and pitches. This enabled him to use one less wedge and have availability for another club somewhere else in the bag.

I recommend that you have only one high bounce wedge in your bag and use low bounce for the remainder. High bounces wedges are much heavier than low bounce and hitting a heavy club off the fairway or around the green will take quite a bit of adjustment on your part. This is why almost all golfers have low bounce wedges for approaches, chips and pitches and a high bounce for sand. The fewer things to think about the better.

Go ahead and BUY YOUR WEDGES and let us know how you like them.

I agree with the opinion about low vs. high bounce wedges with firmer or softer sand. Another factor to consider, though, is hitting out of greenside rough. A high bounce wedge will offer more protection from "submarining" a pop-up shot from sliding right under the ball. For greenside pitches I prefer a low bounce wedge for short grass and a high bounce wedge for thicker, deeper grass or a spongy soft lie.

Thread Information