|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Backspin: How?

Backspin: How?

Hello!

I wonder if you could give some tips on how to make the ball spin backwards when it lands on the greens? Is it very difficult?

Thank you!

Backspin is almost always generated when you strike a ball. Things such as the loft of the club, compression of the ball, swing speed, swing angle, etc. will all affect how much back spin is generated when you hit a shot.

You will most likely see a ball "spin back" on a green when you hit a high wedge shot into a somewhat receptive green.

A lot of back spin on the green is not always desired and it might be better to worry about having the ball have enough spin to stop where it lands rather than worrying about it rolling back 10 ft.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by cuco747
    Hello!

I wonder if you could give some tips on how to make the ball spin backwards when it lands on the greens? Is it very difficult?

Thank you!
    if you dont mind cheating, you can use these.

http://www.intheholegolf.com/Merchan...n%20the%20ball

#1) good wedge with good groves
    #2) low compression and soft cover ball (Maxfli Revolution Tour = insane spin)
    #3) receptive greens
    #4) hit down on the ball
    #5) faster the controlledswing the more spin
    #6) gt77 is right. too much spin is bad.

The course i play on has very receptive greens this time of year. Normally I would hit a 60 degree wedge from 100 yards but I get about 30 feet of backspin. So hit an 3/4 56 degree wedge a little past the pin and get about 5 feet of backspin. When the greens get firmer in the summer I'll go back to hitting my 60 for more stopping power. I love doing it. It's one part of the game I feel like I have the greatest control.

On a similar note I played around a little this past weekend checking spin for myself on five different balls.
    Maxfli Revolution Tour had 20 to 30 feet of backspin.
    Precept U-Tri Tour had 20 to 30 feet of backspin.
    Tiliest ProV1x and ProV1 5 to 10 feet of backspin
    Topflite XL rolled forward 5 to 10 feet.

It was wierd that there was no noticeable difference between the ProV1x and the ProV1.

I did not do any distance check with the driver because I not a mechanical arm.

it made me mad today with my backspin. I hit a excellent drive, about 310 and i was 80 yards out and there was a big lipped bunker right infront of the green with the pin tucked tight to it. So, i took the 60* and hit an absolutely beautiful shot and hit it 2 feet in front of the pin and about 3 foot right and, and that ball spun all the way off the green and into the bunker.

I guess it was my fault....

I bogeyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hello!

Thank you!
    Use an open faced club.......you know a sandwedge....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm open faced club sandwedge.

REally though it has lots to do with your swing speed (more speed = more spin) your lie (clean lie = more spin because of cleaner contact), and hte type of ball. The type of grass on a green could affect it as well.

Relaly though in actual fact you don't need to have it spin back trying to play those kidna of shots is foolhardy. It's much better and easier to let it run up to the hole, instead of hitting it past and hopeing it will spin back the right amount if at all. Thoose shots look nice but are hard to execute and even harder to control.
    Serenity NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hello!

Thank you!
    Here's a little article that might help. Basically, it sounds like you need to make sure your grooves are good and clean, and use a soft ball. And, of course your angle of attack on the ball.

I once saw Jack Nicklaus at a tournament practicing on the range. He was hitting little 50 yard punch shots, and when the ball landed, it would hop back about 3 or 4 feet. And, this was in the fairway!

I never have been able to spin the ball back. It bites when it hits the green and stops maybe 3 or 4 feet past the divot mark. But, I've never had one pull back in front of the divot mark.

Article

Thread Information