|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Poor Arnie Palmer...

So I'm just chilling at home with my gf tonight, and we're watching Back to the Future III on TBS.

What ad is on RIGHT NOW? Invacare. You know Arnold's glory is gone now that he's hawking powered wheelchairs.

Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Silver
    You know Arnold's glory is gone now that he's hawking powered wheelchairs.
    Don't feel too bad for him. He's getting endorsement deals at 75, and still gets all the names he wants to go play with him at Bay Hill. He can't need the money, so he's choosing his spots.

Besides, it's one way to keep his army rollin' along.

Arnold Palmer is my favorite golfer of my lifetime. It may irk some that he is doing wheelchair commercials instead of Penzoil and it makes one wonder why he is.

He must have a reason and I am sure it isn't because he needs the money. Maybe he believes in the product and thinks his endorsement will actually be some help to people, who knows what his motivation is.
    Last edited by Slingblade61; 01-09-2005 at 05:58 AM.

Talking Give The Guy a Break now.......!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver
    So I'm just chilling at home with my gf tonight, and we're watching Back to the Future III on TBS.

What ad is on RIGHT NOW? Invacare. You know Arnold's glory is gone now that he's hawking powered wheelchairs.

Sigh...
    Give the guy a break now, have you priced a set of tires for a GulfSteam 4 Jet lately?
    Go for it Arnie!

Yeah; Arnie is one ad endorsement contract away from a freeway onramp cardboard sign!
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Talking Let Me Know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Yeah; Arnie is one ad endorsement contract away from a freeway onramp cardboard sign!
    Dorkman53,
    Let me know which ramp he is setting up at!I could use the endoresement and any change that falls out of the Big Gulp cup LOL.

I didn't mean that he's poor and needs the money, it's just sad to see someone that we all grew up idolizing now peddling wheelchairs.

It'll be like seeing Wayne Gretzky start doing Depends ads one day.

There probably isn't anybody in the golf universe more loved and revered than Arnold Palmer. He is a true gentleman, and from all reports he treats everyone around him with grace and courtesy. If he wants to pitch motorized carts, I have no problem with that. It does seem a bit of a disconnect, but he does make an effective spokesperson for seniors. He would certainly have more credibility with someone in that demographic group than someone a lot younger. I agree, though, he isn't doing it because he needs the money......Come to think of it, Jack Nicklaus is pitching prosthetic hips, and he, too, most likely didn't eat Thanksgiving Dinner in a downtown "mission"!
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Well I appreciate Arnie's accomplishments but he's done his time. He made enough contributions to golf where he won't be forgotten any time soon. One can only imagine how important it would be to fill in ones life after the loss of one's spouse. I hope he doesn't take up a spot at he MAsters this year, there must be a young man out there who needs the break and had earned a spot to play there. As much as Arnie was great, and I have one of his signature putters, that in itself is as good for the game as letting a younger player take his place in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    There probably isn't anybody in the golf universe more loved and revered than Arnold Palmer. He is a true gentleman, and from all reports he treats everyone around him with grace and courtesy. If he wants to pitch motorized carts, I have no problem with that. It does seem a bit of a disconnect, but he does make an effective spokesperson for seniors. He would certainly have more credibility with someone in that demographic group than someone a lot younger. I agree, though, he isn't doing it because he needs the money......Come to think of it, Jack Nicklaus is pitching prosthetic hips, and he, too, most likely didn't eat Thanksgiving Dinner in a downtown "mission"!
    Great points made dorkman.

Fyi

I was flipping through this month's Golf Digest and they have the Tour money list for '04. "Poor Arnie" is number 3, behind Tiger and, I think, Phil. I do remember he made $23 million last year, the vast, vast majority of it from "golf-related earnings."

I guess he can afford those skins games down at Bay Hill...

Thread Information