|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Beginner Set-Please Help

I am a beginner only started to play golf for 2 months. I am thinking of buying a cheap Second hand iron set myself rather than using my friend's iron.

I saw a few beginner set in a Pro Shop, please help me to see they are suitable for me

Ping - Zing 2

Cobra - Gravity Back

Mizuno - T-Ziod Sure

Thanks

The sets you mentioned are all good for a beginner.
    I think a few aspects are important:

1) are the irons long enough for you? The lenght of the irons is dependable on the distance between your hangs and the ground (if you stand up straight). Aks your local pro is you need longer clubs. P.S. don't forget the putter! A putter which is too short or wrong putting stance will cause back problems!!!

2) if you know what you need (see point 1) then look at whta you think are good looking clubs. Since you picked up golf 2 months ago, just choose what feels good. You probably won't notice any (significant) difference in distance, feel, trajectory etc.

Don't let the golfshop employee talk in into any 'marketing blabla' (an absolute beginner are a nice prey for sweettalk), if you like the game a lot and start lowering your handicap you probably will buy a new set in about 2 years. Then buy something "bettter", since your swing will be more constant the newer technology will be noticed much better.
    "I'll always remember the day I broke ninety. I had a few beers in the clubhouse and was so excited I forgot to play the back nine."

Driver: Nak NP-1 9.5* Graphite Design Tour AD I-65 stiff
    3-wood: Alpha V5 15* Fujikura Rombax 7W06 stiff
    Irons: Miura Tournament Blades i2-PW TT DG S300
    Wedges: Mizuno MP-R 52* and 56* True Temper S300
    Putter: Scotty Cameron American Classic VII Napa Custom
    Ball: Taylormade TP red LDP

Those are all good sets. Check shaft flex. I would go with too soft before too stiff. The gravity backs have really strong lofts, and that would be a turn off for me personally, but you may like that feature. I cannot remember, but those Mizunos may be forged, which is a benefit to some who claim superior feel, but forged irons also wear faster, and are more susceptible to changes in loft and lie from normal play. I don't think you can go wrong these days with used clubs, as long as the shafts fit your speed and swing characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie6768
    I am a beginner only started to play golf for 2 months. I am thinking of buying a cheap Second hand iron set myself rather than using my friend's iron.

I saw a few beginner set in a Pro Shop, please help me to see they are suitable for me

Ping - Zing 2

Cobra - Gravity Back

Mizuno - T-Ziod Sure

Thanks
    If youre just getting a feel for the game, try looking at garage sales. It seems like every other one I go to has an old set of clubs for sale, including the bag. Sometimes they are fairly new if the owner just bought himself a new set. I got a great set of irons 3-PW for 25$ that way. Many sets with a bag go for about 10$. Negotiate down the price, they want to get rid of them. Then when you upgrade later, no big loss.

starter set

Tommy Armour 845fs irons are great starter irons. You could probably find a used or even new set on ebay for around $100. A good TaylorMade driver (R580 line) $100-150 ebay. Maybe a hybrid club (20-24 degree, taylormade, nike cpr). Cleveland 588 wedge (56 degree to start, add a lob or gap later). Putter of choice. You are set to start. Get your swing speed tested. 95+ stiff shafts, 95 or below - regular flex.

Thank you for your advice.

In terms of $$$

Ping Zing 2 (regular steel) - USD 160.00

Cobra (regular graphite) - USD 125.00

Mizuno (regular steel) - USD 140.00

Which one shall I buy?

Thread Information