|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

For the taller player.....in regards to distance from the ball

I belive a famous golfer from not too long ago uttered the phrase "You can never set up too close to the ball." I have also found that several of the tours taller players hit practice shots with rulers on the ground so that they can make sure that they are not getting too far off the ball.

I'm 6'1 and I seem too think that one of the biggest issues a tall player faces is getting to far off the ball. Being taller I have a more upright swing. I find that if I cheat back from the ball in my set up I have a tendancy to take the club too far back to the inside and around my upper body which spells doom (slice/push city). Am I on the right track here? I mean a shorter player can get away with standing a bit further from the ball since their swing seems to be more around and flatish then a taller players upright swing.
    Last edited by Tee'd Off; 01-11-2005 at 05:06 AM.

Too close to the ball

The person I heard (on t.v.) saying you can never be too close to the ball was Jeff Sluman.
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Tee'd Off
    I belive a famous golfer from not too long ago uttered the phrase "You can never set up too close to the ball." I have also found that several of the tours taller players hit practice shots with rulers on the ground so that they can make sure that they are not getting too far off the ball.

I'm 6'1 and I seem too think that one of the biggest issues a tall player faces is getting to far off the ball. Being taller I have a more upright swing. I find that if I cheat back from the ball in my set up I have a tendancy to take the club too far back to the inside and around my upper body which spells doom (slice/push city). Am I on the right track here? I mean a shorter player can get away with standing a bit further from the ball since their swing seems to be more around and flatish then a taller players upright swing.
    I am also the same height and require a club that is between 1/2 inch to 1 inch longer then standard. It means that with a longer shaft the swing weight usually increases so depending on your ideal swingweight, a different shaft can keep things within your specifications. Especially graphite shafts because they are so much lighter then most steel shafts. Getting checked for Swing speed is a given and you can speak to a club fitter who knows these variables and get a shaft that is designed for your height, and the length of your arms. If you are wide chested it takes a little reach away from the ball and this is why a longer shaft can be necessary. If you are reasonably slim this would not be as big a deal, but the length of your arms still needs ot be factored in.

Some guys just like to hit standard clubs and widen their stance. I'm not too fussy about this option because it can make for an unnatural set-up. However for some it works fine.

At 6'1" you have little to concerned about as it relates to extreme height causing problems with your swing. I have played with tall players all my life (6'5" and 6'7") and at 6'1" I don't think I would have my height in my thinking about swing problems.

YES, having your clubs checked for lie and length is an excellent idea, but this applies to all golfers - of average height and Short/Tall.

Have your clubs checked - and be careful about considering increased length shafts as this can change the swingweight consdierably.

My friend who is 6'7" has clubs only 1/2 inch longer than normal but they are 3 degrees upright. Of course, his arm length comes into consideration on this particular club set up as it does with everyone.

Once you have confirmed that you have properly fit clubs, I'd get a lesson or two and focus on set up. This is likely the issue you face.

At address, if your arms are hanging relaxed and your hands are in line below your Adams Apple, you are fine.

You can make more space for the driver if you want. But I don't.

Thread Information