|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A range nightmare

Last night I went to the driving range to prepare myself for a match on Saturday which I‘m very keen to do well in. It was quite busy with your usual mixture of golfers and I ended up in a bay between to big guys both with full monty Cobra drivers. Judging by the perspiration on their foreheads and the whiteness of their knuckles it seemed that it was reasonably important to them to be the longest hitters on show, I’m sure you’ve all seen the types. I began my usual routine hitting a few wedges to warm up with then working my way through the clubs, hitting the ball fairly well. All the while I could hear the other two guys constantly grunting, sometimes cursing and occasionally screaming “Who’s the Daddy” (made that last bit up).

I felt very relaxed and confident in how I was hitting the ball, then I reached for my driver. It was at this stage I noticed there was absolute silence either side of me, clearly both guys had decided to pause and see what my driving was up to. I quite enjoy this added pressure as it helps to re-create some of the emotions experienced on the golf course. Anyway I stood just away from the ball doing a couple of full practise swings trying to imagine the shape of the shot. Out of no-where my 2nd practise swing just shaved the top of my ball resulting in it toppling forward, off the mat and bouncing onto the concrete (LOUDLY AND ABOUT 8 CHUFFING TIMES) before coming to rest in a bed of stones 3 feet in front of me. I heard both guys trying to muffle their laughter but didn’t feel it would have helped my cause to explain it was a practise swing that went wrong. All of a sudden I was one of 3 perspiring, white-knuckled golfers and after 2 further snap hooks I returned to some smooth wedges, with my r7 firmly between my legs - so to speak.

I guess it could have been worse, I mean I could have shanked my approach to the 17th during a match straight at my opponent and cracked his ribs - only ever did that once m’lud.

Any other stories?
    Last edited by corbo; 01-11-2005 at 10:11 AM.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]I know what I hate and I don’t hate this.[/FONT]

About 3 years ago we moved. I played no golf, not even trips to the driving range for about 3 weeks. But did my arm muscles ever get stronger for all the lifting. I went back to the range knowing I would be just killing the ball. I ended up right in front of an old friend and former professional collegue on the driving range. I immediately got the worst case of the shanks in my life. I probably hit 25 shots in a row with identical shanks! I changed clubs. I changed tempos. I hit half and quarter shots. I took extra practice swings. I hit more shanks. Tin Cup had nothing on me!
    I was at least 30 balls into my bucket before I started making solid contact. Ouch!!!
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

The only two times I have ever been struck by a golf shot was at the range.

Once a guy shanked one from about 100 yards left of me and caught me in the top of the left foot. Perfect golf ball shaped bruise.

The other time was a covered tee and some dumb college girl popped one up and it hit the roof and then hit me in the back of the neck.

Both hurt.

The range is dangerous for many reasons.

I was hit once on the range by a ball. Somehw the guy behind me hit me square in the back right on the spine. It was super. The guy ran away, not sure why.
    Serenity NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Only time I've ever been hit was on-course. Hit right in the collarbone during a downswing. The kid that actually hit the ball was about 16, and he disappeared. His dad (the one that never thought to yell fore) came over looking for the ball and seemed a bit disinterested about the actually "someone got hit" part and less interested that his son had ran and hid. Since he was so interested in saving the TiTech that left its mark on me, I helped him find it, went and found my ball and waved at him a lot as I passed him the rest of the day.

Damn that hurt.
    Please, just call me Schemp...

I hit my Dad once when I was little. 3 iron to right shoulder from about 160 yards. he thought I could not hit it that far and just stood there.

I tried with every ounce of my being to hit Roscoe once. I was so angry and shaking so hard I missed the shot. You know how right before a shot you look at the ball, the target, the ball, and then fire?
    Well, I looked at his skull, the ball, his skull, and fired. It was a gap wedge from about 115 and I had every intention of keeping it low and braining him. Flat missed it.

I don't get angry like that on course anymore.

This topic has piqued my interest. What is m'lud?
    I keeps it real.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha33
    This topic has piqued my interest. What is m'lud?
    Short for "My lord" methinks. Should be done while knuckling your forehead...?

Damn anachronistic Brits ;o)

Friend of mine got nailed in the head on the course. Honest to god, he swears that his memory has been total **** since the incident. I believe him too, he's always asking "what's the next hole like?" on courses that we've played dozens of times and that we played the weekend before. Not sure where the ball came from, but I think it was the next fairway over and someone teeing off hit an errant ball into his fairway. Poor guy.

He's the same guy that nailed a crow out of the air though - on the same course as he got hit, strangely enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott K
    Short for "My lord" methinks. Should be done while knuckling your forehead...?

Damn anachronistic Brits ;o)
    Yep, a curious Brit expression for "my lord", while pleading innocence or for leniency to a judge in court. I would imagine this expression was first introduced around the same time, if not the same day, as “methinks” probably was!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver
    He's the same guy that nailed a crow out of the air though - on the same course as he got hit, strangely enough.
    I know someone who "got a birdie" on a water hole. He hit a hapless greenside duck. Killed the poor beastie instantly.

I went to the range and hit almost an entire bucket of balls with my wang hanging out of my shorts. No, not the leg part (I wish!), the fly.

Oh, and don't worry, there was a lovely lady watching her BF hit balls just two tee boxes over.

I'll remember that day as long as I live. It was very warm, as I recall....

R35
    "35 on the front, 50 on the back....I love this game."

Quote Originally Posted by rockford35
    I went to the range and hit almost an entire bucket of balls with my wang hanging out of my shorts. No, not the leg part (I wish!), the fly.

Oh, and don't worry, there was a lovely lady watching her BF hit balls just two tee boxes over.

R35

You are sure glad it wasn't cold lol...

Quote Originally Posted by rockford35

R35
    Bteer that happen then than on a cold day...

Ha Ha bdcrowe you know what they say great minds think alike put it there brother.

Quote Originally Posted by The master
    Ha Ha bdcrowe you know what they say great minds think alike put it there brother.
    ;)

. They say there's no two people alike we just changed that.

I suspect poor BD Crowe is calling the Samaritans...

The worst range experience I've ever had was TONIGHT, Just got back and I'm happy.
    anyway, Im hitting my 7 iron and the guy beside me watches me and my every move, I came to the conclusion that he was either a homosexual or he was just admiring my swing.
    Anyway i was in my back swing and that's when a ball flew out of no where and hit my right in the left butt cheek. And I yell out DANGIT WTF WHAS THAT , the guy beside me had shanked it and hit my in the butt, i don't know how he did it, but he did it, really hard. He started to panic and said he was really sorry, anyway he gave me two free bags of balls and he left as fast as he could, I really felt sorry for him.
    That is something i'll always remember

The funniest thing i've ever seen was a guy was hitting balls with his driver, he sliced one over the net, and hit a cat in this guys yard.
    It killed the cat and the owner walks over to the range and beats the guy up,
    The cat part was hilarious, but the guy the hit the cat didn't think it was funny after he got his block knocked off...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The first time go thit with a ball I was working at a golf course. There was a giant party and we were up still at like 4 in the moring all drunk and such. This other guy and I had to work at 6 so we decided to grab two others and open the proshop grab our clubs and play as much as we could before work. I as playing awsome, beating the assistant pro even. The a-pro and I had our cart parked a bit i front of thsi guys ball but off in the rough by the tress. some how he managed to hit it between our clubs on the cart and hit me right between the shoulder blades. That hurt.

On the plus side the guy that did it wa the bartender at the resort the course was at so i got somwe free booze for a timE out of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by kirksey74
    The worst range experience I've ever had was TONIGHT, Just got back and I'm happy.
    anyway, Im hitting my 7 iron and the guy beside me watches me and my every move, I came to the conclusion that he was either a homosexual or he was just admiring my swing.
    Anyway i was in my back swing and that's when a ball flew out of no where and hit my right in the left butt cheek. And I yell out DANGIT WTF WHAS THAT , the guy beside me had shanked it and hit my in the butt, i don't know how he did it, but he did it, really hard. He started to panic and said he was really sorry, anyway he gave me two free bags of balls and he left as fast as he could, I really felt sorry for him.

The funniest thing i've ever seen was a guy was hitting balls with his driver, he sliced one over the net, and hit a cat in this guys yard.
    The cat part was hilarious, but the guy the hit the cat didn't think it was funny after he got his block knocked off...
    Damn Kirksey, where do you live again? Judging from this and other stories youve posted, it sounds like there is a lot of angry people your area who like to fight, arising from bad golfers.

I hate to admit this but I've hit someone on the range before...it was a practice swing that I just nipped and it skirted into the back of somebody's knee...after the initial shock he seemed ok...I was pretty embarassed...I didn't want to hit the rest of my bucket after that...

Quote Originally Posted by kirksey74

Maybe he was gay and maybe that wasn't a ball you felt on your butt.
    there are probably only a couple of golfers that should refer to themselves as the master. I am sure it is not anyone on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Golf Bunny
    I hate to admit this but I've hit someone on the range before...it was a practice swing that I just nipped and it skirted into the back of somebody's knee...after the initial shock he seemed ok...I was pretty embarassed...I didn't want to hit the rest of my bucket after that...

Meh, don't sweat it. That's how I warm up before every range session!

R35

I have been hit twice on the course. Once in the head from about 20 yards away and once in the knee when somebody threw a putter after missing a short one. The pain from being hit in the head with a golf ball was profound.

Too bad in was a Pinnacle to boot.

The funniest story though was when a friend of mine hit a goose with a shot from about 160 away. We saw the geese all over the green and were too far away to shoo them off. So he pulls the trigger and the shot looks good - heading straight for the middle of the green where a gaggle is located.

Hits a goose in the hindquarters and the animal starts limping across the green - following his compadres who are making hay toward the pond.

After about seven lurching steps, the beast keels over to the side - and just lies there.

The entire time we are on the ground hyperventilating with laughter.

It gave us additional excuses to open another bottle of vodka for a toast....

The beast sprang to life 60 seconds later and joined his crowd in the pond.

just another day at the office.

[QUOTE=Bravo35223]I have been hit twice on the course...additional excuses to open another bottle of vodka for a toast....
    QUOTE]

This sounds interesting. How many bottles tend to get opened in your round?
    And you say you've only been hit twice?

In certain parts of Scotland when they open a bottle of spitits (vodka, whiskey etc.) the cap simply get scrunched up and thrown away. IOW the bottle gets finished! Sounds like you and Scotland are going to get on just fine in 2005. LOL
    You know me you know the score. Keep them satisfied in bed and they wont bother your golf - wise words from The Master, Feb. '05

Quote Originally Posted by corbo
    Any other stories?
    i was practicing from the sand bunker last fall at the country club. there's two bunkers on this practice green, each with a flag close to it. the two bunkers are on the same side of the green, about 30 feet apart. i was aiming for the flag on my side, and two kids were practicing out of the other bunker to the flag closer to them. when i was done, i went to pick up my practice balls from my end of the green. one of the kids blades his shot, and it hit me square in the right deltoid muscle. didn't hurt too bad, and fortunately wasn't a bad bruise. i didn't beat them up either...

[QUOTE=Irishgolfer]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo35223
    I have been hit twice on the course...additional excuses to open another bottle of vodka for a toast....
    QUOTE]

Sounds like you and Scotland are going to get on just fine in 2005. LOL
    Well you are giving me some hope as a vodka drinker that I will not be shown the door there....

About five years ago I gave up beer because it is so fattening. I have never liked pilsner beers very much and always liked ales such as Bass or Newcastle or Sierra Nevada. I was having weight problems and discovered that ales can be extraordinarily fattening. My doctor told me that swearing off beer would help.

I have grown up in a wine-drinking family. My father has over 2000 bottles and collects wines in the year they are bottled and saves them for consumption in the years where they are best. As a result I have been lucky enough to drink quite a bit of fine wine over the years. But if I have just one too many - it just destroys me. Not only that, I cannot sleep on wine. It wires me up.

So - five years ago - I became a vodka guy. Its cheap, you can mix it with just about anything and you can tolerate it. Everybody now knows that when Bravo is around in a social setting- a vodka glass will not be far behind. I can drink several, sleep like a baby and wake up ready to go.

As a generality - I do not drink on the golf course. Never at my club. And I rarely have a drink there after playing because we are morning players and I don't drink before 5:00. So my regulars there do not associate me with alcohol.

On the other hand, in my traveling group - The Mouthwedge - I do drink in the afternoons. It was in the Mouthwedge tournament two years ago when the guy hit the goose and I was having a great time with my plastic pint of vodka.

Now this same guy who hit the goose is going with us to Scotland and he is a Single Malt Scotch snob. Talking about all these brands that I haven't a clue about - and frankly don't care to learn.

I just hope that when I am there this Summer - that I can drink my vodka and not be seen as a strange American who drinks neither Scotch or Irish (whiskey-whisky) and abstains from beer as well.

Well maybe an ale or two.....but I'd gain ten pounds in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter mcgavin1
    Damn Kirksey, where do you live again? Judging from this and other stories youve posted, it sounds like there is a lot of angry people your area who like to fight, arising from bad golfers.
    I live in West Monroe, Louisiana, this happened at a city course range, not a private course. so there are s that attack that place with clubs and beer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by onetime
    Maybe he was gay and maybe that wasn't a ball you felt on your butt.

that is a possibility

Hit...Twice in One night, in the same spot!

[FONT=Arial]Just this summer I had my first horrible experience at the range. I never imagined that the range could be so dangerous. I just got done hitting a decent ball, standing in my aftershot "freeze" and THUD! OUCH, right in the ribs. Huh? Was that a rock? At this point I'm dazed for like 5 minutes. I finally get my wares about me again.
    Hit two more balls and on the third one, SMACK right in the same spot! At this point I'm stark raving mad! I walk down the line of golfer and noone knows who or more importantly
    WHY someone's ball twice managed to find my ribcage. So, yeah, the next two or three times I went to the range, I felt like I was walking through a nightmare.
    Quote Originally Posted by corbo
    Last night I went to the driving range to prepare myself for a match on Saturday which I‘m very keen to do well in. It was quite busy with your usual mixture of golfers and I ended up in a bay between to big guys both with full monty Cobra drivers. Judging by the perspiration on their foreheads and the whiteness of their knuckles it seemed that it was reasonably important to them to be the longest hitters on show, I’m sure you’ve all seen the types. I began my usual routine hitting a few wedges to warm up with then working my way through the clubs, hitting the ball fairly well. All the while I could hear the other two guys constantly grunting, sometimes cursing and occasionally screaming “Who’s the Daddy” (made that last bit up).

I felt very relaxed and confident in how I was hitting the ball, then I reached for my driver. It was at this stage I noticed there was absolute silence either side of me, clearly both guys had decided to pause and see what my driving was up to. I quite enjoy this added pressure as it helps to re-create some of the emotions experienced on the golf course. Anyway I stood just away from the ball doing a couple of full practise swings trying to imagine the shape of the shot. Out of no-where my 2nd practise swing just shaved the top of my ball resulting in it toppling forward, off the mat and bouncing onto the concrete (LOUDLY AND ABOUT 8 CHUFFING TIMES) before coming to rest in a bed of stones 3 feet in front of me. I heard both guys trying to muffle their laughter but didn’t feel it would have helped my cause to explain it was a practise swing that went wrong. All of a sudden I was one of 3 perspiring, white-knuckled golfers and after 2 further snap hooks I returned to some smooth wedges, with my r7 firmly between my legs - so to speak.

I guess it could have been worse, I mean I could have shanked my approach to the 17th during a match straight at my opponent and cracked his ribs - only ever did that once m’lud.

Any other stories?

So here's my hero story which is loosely range related. When I was a kid we had a big match against another club. It was a knockout tournament called the Fred Daly Trophy, (named after a famous Irish golfer). It's a 7 a side junior matchplay tournament for all the clubs in Northern Ireland.

[The Master will fill in all the gaps here. I'm sure he is playing in it this year].

Anyway before this match against Shandon Park, which was a 1/4 final, we were warming up on the practice ground. I was hit a few chips onto the practice green. I was unaware of one of our team, a kid on the reserves, who was trying out a few Michelson like lob wedges, you know the shot, full swing, face open, ball takes off vertically and drops like a feather, right? Wrong, the kid bladed his attempt, and the ball took off and hit me on the up, sending me to the ground like a sack of potatoes. Anyway I came too a few minutes later with blood pissing out of my head and seeing stars.

By right I should have been carted off to the hospital for a stitch or two, but the team captain, an old army guy, took a look at it and claimed it a mere scratch. So despite the fact that there was blood all over my club shirt and I was undoubted concussed I played my match. I can't remember much about the game, but for the fact I was beaten on the last green, in front of a small crowd. Imagine what they were saying, "boy that match must have been a tough one" and "no love lost between those kids". LOL.

As far as I can recall that's the only time I have ever been hit by a ball.
    You know me you know the score. Keep them satisfied in bed and they wont bother your golf - wise words from The Master, Feb. '05

Quote Originally Posted by Irishgolfer
    Imagine what they were saying, "boy that match must have been a tough one" and "no love lost between those kids".
    .... brilliant

Sorry if this is a bit boring if you are going to make smart remarks don't bother chiming in.

Yeah Fred daily is the best competition around I’m number 2 this year we drew Lisburn in the 1st round I love the opening hole there it is class a drive and a mid iron into a par 5 gota watch for that lake on the right you can't see it hitting your approach.

Yeah Fred daily is still a 7 man team consisting of the best 7 juniors in the club, Fred daily is a famous golfer from here who won the open in 1949 and is known for his nice little draw he consistently hit of the tee.

This will be my 2nd year of being on the team we lost a lot of good players this year, I have played 8 matches lost won 8 lost 1, it is flat matches match play lowest man out first highest out last so it is usually a fair match unless your playing Hollywood or city of Derry wow they have both got some of the best players in Ireland on their team this year, heard of Rory Mcllroy IG of +4 awesome, Darren Clarke hooked him up with tour preferred, custom made everything. He goes to the range mainly the same time as me you should see him hit a ball it really is just like a tour player.

Anyway I was playing Fred Daily last year Castle Hume 3 hour drive so we had to leave at 6am.So we left everyone meting in the club car park we made of stopped at some dodgy roadside garage for a fry eat that felt sick. We set off again and got we got stopped bye the police about 10 minutes later, keeping in mind some old dude looks after the team and drives really slow. And the other car was like 30 miles ahead of us, so were driving up some road and all of a sudden the police stopped us for the guy beside me not having his seatbelt on this took about 10 minutes in total hmm a strict cop. So we get on with the trip and are about 30 miles away with 15 minutes to go and what do you know we get a flat tyre im getting impatient so he phones the other guy taking up the other half of kids to comeback who is already there and help him fix it he was old and didn't know how so we finally get it fixed turn up for the match 30 minutes late. The effers claimed the first 2 matches ahh we were all shouting. Anyway they still played their matches number 1&2 after the rest of the team had gone out we ended up being 4-3 down after the first leg then when we played the return leg we won on holes and we winded them up so much at the after meal they all nearly broke into tears it was hilarious.

I love Fred daily as it is great fun and love going to play all the different courses it is good experience and great when you get to stay overnight.

Sorry for the poor grammar and spelling.

PS: IG I think port Stewart are in the other half of the draw I will check to see if there is a possibility we can play them.

I have no idea what you just said but somehow I think Fred Couples was invloved.
    there are probably only a couple of golfers that should refer to themselves as the master. I am sure it is not anyone on this board.

Fred Couples? I thought it was John Daily (sic)

(and yes, I know Fred Daly isn't the same as John Daly)

careful guys, you don't want to rile up the sexist loudmouth moderator. He has a soft spot for the kid. I guess he is just following the example set by his daddy. Which is kind of sweet until you consider the sexist and hot headed posts he made in the past.

I still haven't been told how he made moderator. Did Dorkman drop the ball?

I still haven't been told how he made moderator. Did Dorkman drop the ball?
    You asked about this a couple of days ago and nobody replied.

This changeover got by me also. It happened over the holidays when I was very light here.

From what I can tell - Dork decided to give it up and (I think) they asked for volunteers.

After everyone took one step backwards - Quentin was the only one left. Francis made him moderator despite a very substantial flamewar with Monty last Fall.

About a week ago I was asking the same thing. In any event, here we are.

Dork - is this a fair description of events or have I got it all wrong?

I don't think Dork stepped back at all. He was just looking for help.

No one stepped up, except Q who had actually asked Francis in jest. Q was surprised when the "super moderator" title and responsibility was bestowed upon him.
    I keeps it real.

Come on guys give him a break, he got it fair enough he has done a good job so far hasn't been banning people like mad or anything he is stepping in when a flame is occuring which is what he is meant to do. Dork needed the help he got it, the guy isn't gonig to start any flames now, he got it nothing you can do about it now.

Quentin/ Wormburner informed me yesterday that if he knew how to figure out IP addresses the way AOL writes them, that I would already be banned.

Then a higher up from consumer review informed me that moderators can't actually ban anyone, they can just delete posts, and request banning from higher ups.

regardless, if I am going to get my posts judged by a guy with the kind of history Quentin/ Wormburner has, then I have nothing to fear.

he can say I was impolite or flamed someone, but as long as I sneak some really ugly words about women who work for me and my dad in there, I ought to be safe.

Hiya Quentin!!!!! How's the office today?????

So, is that how Montie became Besson? I'm too lazy to see if Montagle screenname is gone.

Montie was ALWAYS Besson. But the username Besson went AWOL when the board switched formats a year or so back.

Montie got a bunch of his posts deleted and then francois finally gave him back the screen name that went missing.

I think his thoughts were "Here is that screen name you wanted, enjoy the new moderator".

So he hooked me up while he took me down. Kind of clever on his part.

Oh yeah, all women suck and should not have jobs and should stay indoors and wait for me and my dad to get home and then feed us.

Got to keep it PC you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Besson
    Montie was ALWAYS Besson. But the username Besson went AWOL when the board switched formats a year or so back.

Montie got a bunch of his posts deleted and then francois finally gave him back the screen name that went missing.

I think his thoughts were "Here is that screen name you wanted, enjoy the new moderator".

So he hooked me up while he took me down. Kind of clever on his part.

Oh yeah, all women suck and should not have jobs and should stay indoors and wait for me and my dad to get home and then feed us.

Got to keep it PC you know.
    This is just wrong but hilarious.

And here I thought Quentin's dad owned the board.

I felt like a mother of quintuplets; a bit overwhelmed. The "moderator" role on most golf boards would be a snoozer. Here, because of some colorful personalities and multiple personalities there is a lot more potential for things to get really ugly quickly. I'm glad to have help, but my role is basically the same. It's just that I don't have to feel quite so personally responsible, since someone else can also be "minding the shop".
    The vast majority of those on this board agree at least intellectually that posts should be reasonably polite, free of gross obscenity/vulgarity, and have some semblance of a point. Nearly all posts fall into the "reasonable" category. Profanity and flame wars are highly contagious, and left unchecked quickly dominate the board. This turns off most reasonable people, and the posts are then dominated by a few determined, resourceful flamers.
    I like to see a wide variety of topics by a large number of different posters. Otherwise, things start to resemble one board I can think of where it's just a small cluster of friends talking about a lot of crony issues. Anyone not in the inner circle feels like an outcast.
    The best way to encourage widespread participation is to have a board that is friendly, receptive, and open to new and older members as well. To achieve that, a basic level of courtesy is mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Otherwise, things start to resemble one board I can think of where it's just a small cluster of friends talking about a lot of crony issues. Anyone not in the inner circle feels like an outcast.
    The best way to encourage widespread participation is to have a board that is friendly, receptive, and open to new and older members as well. To achieve that, a basic level of courtesy is mandatory.
    Well I never......!

What you described is not altogether a bad thing, tho I don't exactly know what "crony issues" are...

Quote Originally Posted by LBCGolf
    Well I never......!

What you described is not altogether a bad thing, tho I don't exactly know what "crony issues" are...
    Nothing sinister. Just a few people "on the inside" who know a lot about each other who carry on essentially private conversations which presuppose a lot of prior personal knowledge. For anyone not in the inner circle, it's like being at a dinner party where everybody knows everybody except you, and they're all intent on a conversation that doesn't involve you. One quickly begins to feel like a useless bystander instead of a participant.

Nothing sinister. Just a few people "on the inside" who know a lot about each other who carry on essentially private conversations which presuppose a lot of prior personal knowledge. For anyone not in the inner circle, it's like being at a dinner party where everybody knows everybody except you, and they're all intent on a conversation that doesn't involve you. One quickly begins to feel like a useless bystander instead of a participant.
    Oh my god, I've been a useless bystander all my life!

Or one tries to get involved and add where they can. Eventually they are part of the group.

Funny, a moderator flaming another board. Now there are 2 moderators here stirring up the pot. Isn't that exactly what moderators shouldn't be doing?

Ive seen that "inner circle" thing on almost all message boards, whether it be a golf board, music, or political boards, etc..There is a favorite local band of mine that has a msg board on their website, and the inner circle thing is really bad there. So I posted a msg saying if they wanted to have personal conversations, they should just pick up the phone and call each other, or email privately. Then they got all pissy with me, actually threatening me physically, telling me to watch my back, and trying to track me down by my IP. I was like, bring it you pricks, but I wont go into that, lets just say the whole thing was ridiculous. This board is definitely one of the better ones out there.

Or one tries to get involved and add where they can. Eventually they are part of the group.

Funny, a moderator flaming another board. Now there are 2 moderators here stirring up the pot. Isn't that exactly what moderators shouldn't be doing?
    Are we guilty of a bit of rhetorical hyperbole here? 1. Describing my perceptions of another board is hardly "flaming it". 2. I never even mentioned the name of the other board. Let the reader draw his/her own conclusions.

rhetorical hyperbole
    .....crumbs !

Let me just say separate areas of discussion would cure a lot of ills.

How's that coming along?
    I keeps it real.

How's that coming along?
    I heard that we just landed on Saturn. I think this is along the same timeline.

R35

How's that coming along?

Buddha we asked that question weeks ago. I thought francois was going to do it? I know you might be bust francois but when you get a chance would you please cobsider it.

Are we guilty of a bit of rhetorical hyperbole here? 1. Describing my perceptions of another board is hardly "flaming it". 2. I never even mentioned the name of the other board. Let the reader draw his/her own conclusions.
    Rhetorical hyperbole? that must be the anti- master speak. You know exactly what you said and what you meant. Just not sure if either you or the other moderator are fit. I definitely know the other one has no business being a moderator and neither would I for that matter.

Then you wonder why this board is the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Besson
    Quentin/ Wormburner informed me yesterday that if he knew how to figure out IP addresses the way AOL writes them, that I would already be banned.
    I didn't want to jump in on this idiocy, but since Besson is the leader of it here I go. Look at my post from a day or two ago on the public forum. I did not say if 'I' knew how to figure out AOL ip's. I did not say that 'I' could ban. I know I can't ban. But you go ahead and twist everything I say into your own little world Besson. If you remember, you were the one that admitted to being a sexist in that thread from last summer...bottom line. It's very juvenile for you to keep saying that. I'll bet you even dream about me at night as it seems you want to talk about me all day long. Kinda scary really.

Since becoming moderator, I have seen a lot of ip's that posters are coming in from. It was easy to ban Roscoe's ip as it was unique. People who use AOL are different as those ip's are random and grouped with other AOL users. I said that you would have probably been banned by Francis if he 'could' have...but he couldn't. I think that's pretty nice for you.

Besson, maybe you should try to grow up a little bit on this free message board. It may make it a little more respectable. After all, you've been here longer than most so an argument could be made that you are the real 'moderator' of this board. I don't want to paint you a picture, but Dorkman has also stated that this board has too many flame wars and such. Wouldn't you take some responsibility for that? Look at your history...you're a hater. I think there's plenty of personality on this board that makes it fun and entertaining. I think you bring it down in the gutter too often. Those are my opinions about you based on my experiences here. I don't really care if I'm moderator or not. If I am I'll help, if I'm not I won't help. I feel I'm level headed enough though to do the job.

~QQ

Then you wonder why this board is the way it is.
    Gotta ask you then: What should it be?
    I keeps it real.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin
    I didn't want to jump in on this idiocy, but since Besson is the leader of it here I go. Look at my post from a day or two ago on the public forum. I did not say if 'I' knew how to figure out AOL ip's. I did not say that 'I' could ban. I know I can't ban. But you go ahead and twist everything I say into your own little world Besson. If you remember, you were the one that admitted to being a sexist in that thread from last summer...bottom line. It's very juvenile for you to keep saying that. I'll bet you even dream about me at night as it seems you want to talk about me all day long. Kinda scary really.

Since becoming moderator, I have seen a lot of ip's that posters are coming in from. It was easy to ban Roscoe's ip as it was unique. People who use AOL are different as those ip's are random and grouped with other AOL users. I said that you would have probably been banned by Francis if he 'could' have...but he couldn't. I think that's pretty nice for you.

Besson, maybe you should try to grow up a little bit on this free message board. It may make it a little more respectable. After all, you've been here longer than most so an argument could be made that you are the real 'moderator' of this board. I don't want to paint you a picture, but Dorkman has also stated that this board has too many flame wars and such. Wouldn't you take some responsibility for that? Look at your history...you're a hater. I think there's plenty of personality on this board that makes it fun and entertaining. I think you bring it down in the gutter too often. Those are my opinions about you based on my experiences here. I don't really care if I'm moderator or not. If I am I'll help, if I'm not I won't help. I feel I'm level headed enough though to do the job.

~QQ
    ....yawn. Immature and obvious points made. Thought you would do better.

Fact is, AOL stinks or you'd be with your partner in GR world. I think you know what I mean.

I've been here everyday since the New Year. How's you 8-5 M-F other than lunch going?

You may continue...I will not even join.

~QQ
    Funny QQ but I think the above sounds a little different then your take on it. You were a flamer here and basically said women were worthless in the work place. That's moderator material? I think not.

That's moderator material? I think not.
    Hmmmm....what's moderator material?

~QQ

Hmmmm....what's moderator material?

~QQ
    Opposite of you, probably.

This really is pretty juvenile. It's evident that some of the seniors here are having trouble letting go of how things used to be. They want their little clique to dominate this site, and if anything disrupts that, all hell breaks loose. And by hell, I mean a lot of whining and complaining.
    I keeps it real.

Who cares if it is someones pass not everyone gets along, it's people like you onetime who start the flames and swarm others in, I think you should do the right thing and leave.

This really is pretty juvenile. It's evident that some of the seniors here are having trouble letting go of how things used to be. They want their little clique to dominate this site, and if anything disrupts that, all hell breaks loose.
    All hell breaks loose? Right.

Sorry but I don't understand how QQ can be judging anyone, Roscoe included, when he basically did similar type things. It is right for some but not for others.

Go home and watch TV.

Sorry but I don't understand how QQ can be judging anyone, Roscoe included, when he basically did similar type things. It is right for some but not for others.
    Sorry dude, you're wrong. The only flaming I may have been involved with was in defending myself against Besson and Corndog and his aliases. Many others here are in the same boat...they're not flamers either.

~QQ

Go home and watch TV.
    ...c'mon, onetime. You're better than that.

I honestly think Worm hasn't earned moderator status. You're right, he has started flamewars. But he can't be blamed for having it. That was Francis' decision. And up to this point, Worm hasn't done anything to violate his responsibility. Now if he starts deleting posts, you have a right to complain.

For some reason your level of complaining has escalated lately. However, you have yet to offer any solution.
    I keeps it real.

Who cares if it is someones pass not everyone gets along, it's people like you onetime who start the flames and swarm others in, I think you should do the right thing and leave.
    How many times has that advice been given to you and you won't take it. When you follow your own advice, I will consider it.

In onetime's defense, rarely, if ever does he start a flamewar. For some reason he laps up whatever Monty says like a dog, and has fun gang tackling people, but he doesn't start them himself.
    I keeps it real.

How many times has that advice been given to you and you won't take it. When you follow your own advice, I will consider it.
    Yeah thats just at DG, the only reason I'n still there is because you want me to go.

In onetime's defense, rarely, if ever does he start a flamewar. For some reason he laps up whatever Monty says like a dog, and has fun gang tackling people, but he doesn't start them himself.
    Nail on the head dude. Thanks for the shot too.

~QQ

...c'mon, onetime. You're better than that.

I honestly think Worm hasn't earned moderator status. You're right, he has started flamewars. But he can't be blamed for having it. That was Francis' decision. And up to this point, Worm hasn't done anything to violate his responsibility. Now if he starts deleting posts, you have a right to complain.

For some reason you're level of complaining has escalated lately. However, you have yet to offer any solution.
    Funny QQ doesn't agree that he has been a flamer.

I really don't see anything wrong with this board - if you take it for what it is worth- but banning roscoe and then QQ threatening to ban Besson is absurd. QQ threatening to ban anyone is absurd. That is my sole complaint. Nothing about the board.

Well, let's get to the facts then.

Besson said Worm would have banned him if he didn't have an AOL address.

Worm, what's your perspective again? Why was a PM sent to Besson?
    I keeps it real.

I sent no PM to besson. My AOL statement is on the free message board. I believe Onetime quoted it above. My point was that francis probably would have banned besson along with Roscoe at the time if he could have...but he couldn't because of AOL.

~QQ

Funny QQ doesn't agree that he has been a flamer.

I really don't see anything wrong with this board - if you take it for what it is worth- but banning roscoe and then QQ threatening to ban Besson is absurd. QQ threatening to ban anyone is absurd. That is my sole complaint. Nothing about the board.

Hmmm no think before you post, Roscoe asked for his account to be deleted.

I sent no PM to besson. My AOL statement is on the free message board. I believe Onetime quoted it above. My point was that francis probably would have banned besson along with Roscoe at the time if he could have...but he couldn't because of AOL.

~QQ
    Ok, so there's obviously animosity between you two, but no PM sent and no threat to have Besson deleted.

For the record, I fully understand why someone would not consider Worm a fair moderator. I think Worm is just as surprised as any of us.
    I keeps it real.

How many times you going to rehash this? Talk about pot stiring.

And you are right, if Besson were not here, I would probably not post much. Go back a few years ago when neither of us were here and spank was talking to himself. There were probably 3 posts a week. Great site then.

Ok, so there's obviously animosity between you two, but no PM sent and no threat to have Besson deleted.
    Where did you read that a PM was sent?

~QQ

~QQ
    I don't know QQ. I interpret your above comment as coming from you not Francis and in a much more authorative way. Maybe that is just my take.

And you are right, if Besson were not here, I would probably not post much. Go back a few years ago when neither of us were here and spank was talking to himself. There were probably 3 posts a week. Great site then.
    So you're saying that you and Besson are the GR free message board and that it would crumble without you?

~QQ

How many times you going to rehash this? Talk about pot stiring.
    Huh? No clue what you're talking about. Whatever, this in mind numbing.
    I keeps it real.

So you're saying that you and Besson are the GR free message board and that it would crumble without you?

~QQ
    I was expecting that. No not at all. I have basically nothing to do with it. You disappeared and life seemed better. Less controversial. You come back and people are getting banned and you are made moderator. Something is just wrong with that.

Here here.

This was between me and QQ when you made your juvenile comment and are now putting all the facts together and basically trying to keep it going/pot stirring. If you stayed out of it with your comments, it probably would have ended.

But that is you and you will lap up anything to stir it up.

I was expecting that. No not at all. I have basically nothing to do with it. You disappeared and life seemed better. Less controversial. You come back and people are getting banned and you are made moderator. Something is just wrong with that.
    You are soooo wrong. Look at a post made by Dorkman at the end of November about flame wars. Things were horrible...but maybe that's what you mean by less controversial. I stopped by to see what was going on before Christmas and found Monty flaming a whole bunch of people. That post was deleted because of the content that Roscoe posted (I believe). I stood up to Monty because that's just bush league stuff...bottom line.

The end result was Montagle and Roscoe being deleted and Roscoe being banned.

The facts as I remember.

~QQ

This was between me and QQ when you made your juvenile comment and are now putting all the facts together and basically trying to keep it going/pot stirring. If you stayed out of it with your comments, it probably would have ended.

But that is you and you will lap up anything to stir it up.
    Whatever, onetime. Wait 'til your boy Besson comes back. You don't make too much sense as a stand alone character.
    I keeps it real.

You are soooo wrong. Look at a post made by Dorkman at the end of November about flame wars. Things were horrible...but maybe that's what you mean by less controversial. I stopped by to see what was going on before Christmas and found Monty flaming a whole bunch of people. That post was deleted because of the content that Roscoe posted (I believe). I stood up to Monty because that's just bush league stuff...bottom line.

The end result was Montagle and Roscoe being deleted and Roscoe being banned.

The facts as I remember.

~QQ
    Right. You stood upto Monty after being gone so long because you knew what affect it would have. And you are a judge of what is bush league. I think that is bush because you knew it would rile up everyone.

And remember, you have trouble with the facts.

Hey Onetime, I think we need only look at your signature to know what you're all about. That's a flame war in every post.

~QQ

Whatever, onetime. Wait 'til your boy Besson comes back. You're not making sense on your own.
    No. I think it is making sense and maybe nail on the head as well.

Hopefully, Besson stays out of it as it may spiral out of control and I am not looking to get him in anymore trouble.

Hey Onetime, I think we need only look at your signature to know what you're all about. That's a flame war in every post.

~QQ
    Just the facts. I think it has already been stated that I usually don't start them but I do respond.

Just the facts. I think it has already been stated that I usually don't start them but I do respond.
    It's funny. You've just accused me of the same thing. Thanks for playing.
    I keeps it real.

Bad driving range experience

I went to one of those outdoor driving ranges last week with the little propane heaters above you. Mine didn't work, and man, was it cold! Those range rocks really sting when they're cold and the heater doesn't work.
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by jc@bg
    I went to one of those outdoor driving ranges last week with the little propane heaters above you. Mine didn't work, and man, was it cold! Those range rocks really sting when they're cold and the heater doesn't work.
    Great. Now you are going and getting all back on topic. You have some nerve.

I think this will sum up recent and past events here. I don't mean to be mean but I thought it suited the situation. And a few people here.

Quote Originally Posted by MAHALLEDAY

I think this will sum up recent and past events here. I don't mean to be mean but I thought it suited the situation. And a few people here.
    That's been used before and I think even QQ has used something similar in the past. So I guess you are like QQ.

That's been used before and I think even QQ has used something similar in the past. So I guess you are like QQ.
    Even if it has been used before it's still a relavent point. And if "QQ" thinks arguing on the internet is retarded hes right. Guess that makes me right too, Since "i'm like him", I don't mind being right.

And yes I am aware that I am gettign into this argument so that infact makes me retarded.

Even if it has been used before it's still a relavent point. And if "QQ" thinks arguing on the internet is retarded hes right. Guess that makes me right too, Since "i'm like him", I don't mind being right.

And yes I am aware that I am gettign into this argument so that infact makes me retarded.
    As long as you are clear and realize you are retarded as well ;)

......and are you also aware that you are making a "joke" that is in extremely bad taste?
    Last edited by corbo; 01-14-2005 at 11:30 AM.

So yeah this one time when i worked at a godl course we had this crazy busy day. I was on of teh guys that day looking after the range (picking up golf balls etc.) I did a range pick 5 times that day. the last tiem i did it i fell asleep will driving the picker. I crashed the thign into a tree with a rnage full of people wtahcing. I got hit with a few balls as well (I was in the picker at the time though). It was a crazy day.

I think if anyone wants to take the time to peruse all the posts madeby our new moderator Quentin/ Wormburner they will find that more than 60 percent of them deal with me.

The other 40 percent deal with sweat issues and hatred of women.

Also 'free golf messageboard' is a term I used to annoy Buddha weeks ago when we disagreed (and that is fixed) and the new moderator ought to think up his own catch phrases.

Bottom line is Quentin/ Wormburner cannot ban me. Even if he could it would not be in the best interest of the board because the new moderator (Quentin/ Wormburner) is not capable of helping people with technical questions, or amuse them with stories, or to advise them on things like productive practice time. Read through what he has contributed. Make your own call. All I know is he has sweat issues, hates women, had to get a job from his father (and recieves no respect), and can't golf with any skill whatsoever.

let's quit flaming and just deal with facts.

I have made an effort to make peace with every person on this site. I won't do it with Quentin though. If Francois wanted me banned it would have happened by now.

So peace to everyone of you, except Quentin. Quentin knows where it is when he wants a piece.

Thread Information