|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

I just bougt a Callaway Heavenwood...

and got to use it for the first time this weekend for a round down on Cape Cod. Though it is winter up here the ground was not frozen, and the conditions could not have been better. However I was having trouble hitting this club (17 degree) as much as I was the long irons it replaced. I was topping the ball most often, and sending maybe 50 yards rolling down the fairway. What I was wondering was what is the swing motion for a utility club? Is it a sweeping motion or should I be coming down on the ball similar to an iron. Judging by my results I swas not getting under the ball correctly, but any advice would be helpful.

Jay t.

For me, like any other club, the "proper swing motion" for a utility club depends upon (A) the loft, (B) the lie. Because a 17 degree equates roughly to a 2-iron, for me more of a sweeping motion would be required. But utility clubs have a lower center of gravity than traditional long irons, especially more mass behind the ball, so, if the lie allows, a slightly more descending blow might work well. Something along the lines of how you typically strike a 4 or 5 iron. From extremely tricky lies (e.g., soggy, fluffy) a more sweeping motion may be needed.

Note: It's pretty tough for anyone on this forum to advise you effectively on using your Heavenwood, given the enormity of what we don't know about your game and the situation. My best guess as to your topping problems is that you had a high anticipation of the great shots you'd hit with the new club and couldn't wait (to finish your swing) to see the results. In short, you looked up. If so, don't do that.
    Last edited by jc@bg; 01-18-2005 at 12:45 PM. Reason: addition
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

I've hit LOTS of hybrids, both iron based and fairway wood based. For me, the Heavenwood was the most difficult club of any I'd ever tried. The face is relatively shallow, and a very high percentage of my shots were either fat or topped. I found it very difficult to find the zone to get a good shot. Taylormade Rescue Mids, Hogans?; no sweat. Heavenwood?; "golf hell" for me. I used it for one range session and one round on the course. Absolutely no "Wow" factor in my hands, so I sold it on e-bay to someone who will undoubtedly hit it better than I could.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I have a Hogan 21 degree. My best success is a sweeping swing with a controlled tempo. Let the club swing itself, keep a light grip & make solid contact. When I do that I get great results straight & 180-200 (I drive about 230). When I try to muscle the club, the results aren't gratifying.
    Hold my Beer. I'm going to hit a high fade over that tree....

Thread Information