|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Benedict Arnie

Benedict Arnie

I remember back 25 years ago when Arnold Palmer used to do all those commercials for the USGA about regulations on equipment and quote "preserving the game" from all gimmick clubs. And boy did he have alot to say when Callaway introduced the Big Bertha in the early 90's. "They're not keeping with tradition" As we all know Arnie had his own line of equipment for many years and did not have much success keeping up with the big guys and the new technology. Heck, he couldn't even give Nicklaus any competion in the club manufacturing market. That really must have bothered him. What's my point? Well, after all these years of trash talking Callaway while watching his Palmer line fold, he decides to "sell out" and become part of Clallaway's staff. Huh? go figure. Arnie, do you have to be a "Callaway guy" now just to remain in the spotlight?...or do you need the money? I think you have too much pride. Bet you can't make Jack fold and play Callaway.

Makes a person wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore
    I remember back 25 years ago when Arnold Palmer used to do all those commercials for the USGA about regulations on equipment and quote "preserving the game" from all gimmick clubs. And boy did he have alot to say when Callaway introduced the Big Bertha in the early 90's. "They're not keeping with tradition" As we all know Arnie had his own line of equipment for many years and did not have much success keeping up with the big guys and the new technology. Heck, he couldn't even give Nicklaus any competion in the club manufacturing market. That really must have bothered him. What's my point? Well, after all these years of trash talking Callaway while watching his Palmer line fold, he decides to "sell out" and become part of Clallaway's staff. Huh? go figure. Arnie, do you have to be a "Callaway guy" now just to remain in the spotlight?...or do you need the money? I think you have too much pride. Bet you can't make Jack fold and play Callaway.
    if they even read what they write. You must either be very young, or not very bright. If everyone was held to what they said 25 years ago(and that includes you and me) we'd all be deemed trash talkers as you put it. The man is 74 years young. He's done more for getting golf into the publics consciousness than anyone except Tiger(and as wonderful as he is he's attracted the idiot contingent to the game too). When you can say the same thing maybe what you say will have some real meaning. Until then why don't you concentrate on donating to people a 100th what he has.

You can tell a loser by what they say.

Arnie defended his position by saying he now believes anything that helps AMATEUR golfers enjoy the sport more , he is all for it. And though I am not a Callaway lover at all,I understand where Arnie is coming from.

Braincramp is right.
    Time and time again I've heard Arnie talk about Callaway related products and regulations imposed by the USGA. He rarely talks about the "pro" game. He is almost always talking about amatuers. He is all for the ERC II (at the time the hot club) which is illegal and all the other manufacturers making illegal drivers etc...

He always says that they should not be used in tourneys, but if an amatuer or recreational golfer gets more satisfaction from the game of golf that way, that's ok.
    Just wait one minizzle!

Technology vs the sanctity of the game.......

Arnie will say and do what he must but this leads into the hotly debated technology vs the game genre. While some are for making the game alot more easier for amateurs and rec. players there are a sizable portion who think that technology is taking the skill out of the game. I don't really know how I feel on this subject. One fact is some courses are way over the 7000 yard mark now! The art of shotmaking is nowhere near what it used to be! The game has become a power game! I think the testing of drivers by the USGA is the first of many rulings to limit technology and its effects on the game. I would not be surprised if the USGA bans some of the current balls on the market within the next 10 years!

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    if they even read what they write. You must either be very young, or not very bright. If everyone was held to what they said 25 years ago(and that includes you and me) we'd all be deemed trash talkers as you put it. The man is 74 years young. He's done more for getting golf into the publics consciousness than anyone except Tiger(and as wonderful as he is he's attracted the idiot contingent to the game too). When you can say the same thing maybe what you say will have some real meaning. Until then why don't you concentrate on donating to people a 100th what he has.

You can tell a loser by what they say.

I never said Arnie was a loser

Thread Information