|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Florida: Golf travel info please!

I'm thinking of taking a golf trip down to Florida on my reading break (mid Feb) with a friend of mine or maybe in late April/early May. Preferably on my reading break though.

Anyhow, what would be the ideal place to hit up? Should it be a "travelling vacation" where we hit various destinations?

We'd be flying down from Vancouver, BC (about 2 hours North of Seattle) and we're in school, so money is an object. Am I better to try to get some hotel deal down there (I'm not averse to the "show up and find a hotel" method) or are there reasonably priced "golf resorts"?

I figured I'd start the research here because I know there are a few Floridians here.

Thanks guys!

You could try the Orange County National Golf Resort...2 really really nice courses...both are rated the top 10 in the nation in maintenance. Also there is a 9 hole practice course you can play for free if you stay at the lodge on the resort. The entire place is unbelievable. here's what they got:

2 Championship Courses (Panther Lake and Crooked Cat)...Panther Lake is the site for the 2005 PGA Tour Q-School finals. Both of the courses have no houses or anything around them, it's secluded and really nice.

9 Hole Par 3 and short Par 4 course

360 degree driving range (1 mile around)

3 Practice greens...one right outside the lodge is lighted for all night use

there's also a 36 hole putting course or something, but i didn't have time for that when I was there.

even though it's somewhat secluded, there's another decent golf course about 10 minutes up the road.

It's a relatively expensive place, but I think their is a package deal you can get that makes everything cheaper...you would just need to look at it to see if you would want to spend the money on it, but it is well worth it.

Looking back at this it looks like I am "plugging" the resort, but I am really not. I went to visit the place because I am going to go to a golf school located on the resort and I love the place...here's the website if you wanna check it out....www.ocngolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Silver
    I'm thinking of taking a golf trip down to Florida on my reading break (mid Feb) with a friend of mine or maybe in late April/early May. Preferably on my reading break though.

Anyhow, what would be the ideal place to hit up? Should it be a "travelling vacation" where we hit various destinations?

We'd be flying down from Vancouver, BC (about 2 hours North of Seattle) and we're in school, so money is an object. Am I better to try to get some hotel deal down there (I'm not averse to the "show up and find a hotel" method) or are there reasonably priced "golf resorts"?

I figured I'd start the research here because I know there are a few Floridians here.

Thanks guys!
    Silver, I would give serious consideration to the Disney World Golf Village. Particularly Lake Buena Vista. It offers the most affordable lodging and golf
    rates. Plus, because Disney is such a huge travel destination you can get good deals from AAA and Florida Dept. of Travel. And I think it would be your best bet on getting
    a reservation on such a short notice. Plus, you could swing over and hit the Tampa
    courses (2 hour drive.) I've never played at Disney, but have heard good things as far as
    course condition. Golf Digest has given Buena Vista 4/5 stars if that actually means
    anything. If you just fly down and go witht he show up and grab a hotel idea maybe
    consider flying into St. Pete's. There are good deals on flights this time of year. And
    Tampa's courses are pretty much as good as they are going to get right now. You
    have to fight the snowbirds, but you'd been one yourself so to speak. If you decide to
    come around Tampa, here's some courses you could try.

TPC of Tampa
    Beacon Woods, Hudson, FL (hour north of downtown) but well worth the drive,
    affordable and great conditions
    Chi Chi Rodriguez Golf Club Clearwater,FL
    The Eagles Odessa,FL
    Scotland Yards, Dade City,FL awesome experience, like the old school British courses
    World Woods Golf Clubs, Brooksville, FL little more money, but worth it. pretty available
    tee times. beautiful course

Perhaps Buddha can give you some suggestions.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Thanks for the ideas so far, I figured buddha could add a few ideas as well.

Interesting ideas Kenny, I'll look into some of them in more detail.
    Last edited by Silver; 01-23-2005 at 11:50 PM.

Silver:

I would strongly recommend World Woods. Although I have not played there, I did the planning for a trip we were going to take there last year and then aborted.

WW includes two courses.

Postives for WW include:

1) One of the courses is widely rated as one of the best courses in the U.S.

2) Both courses are known to be in superb condition.

3) The prices are very very reasonable. On a value scale - probably some of the highest value golf in the country. They give you a break on your second round of the day.

The negative:

WW is somewhat secluded. It is North of Tampa and West of Orlando out in the Florida countryside. There is not much lodging in the area. On the other hand, since you are on a budget - you will be happy to know that what lodging is available in the area is very reasonably priced. There is no nightlife around.

Its really a place to go and play some of the best golf in the US for very reasonable prices but little else....

Orlando

Silver,

I recommend you look at a flight on Westjet from Vancouver to Orlando (you might have to go via Calgary), but after that it's direct into Orlando with GREAT flight times. Westjet was having a seat sale....so you may want to hurry.

I just moved from Calgary to Sarasota, FL and love this area for all it's great golf courses, beaches, restaurants, etc......but if it were me flying from Vancouver, I would take a serious look at the Disney Golf at Orlando. There are six GREAT golf courses....LBV, Magnolia, Osprey, Eagle Pines are my favorites. They are all nicely situated on the massive Disney resort....and Disney offers some great "stay and play" packages. Osprey and Eagle Pines are unforgettable courses (they are side by side)....and you won't even know you are at Disney....they are in the middle of this lush forest. Gorgeous!

I live here and drive 2 hours each way on a regular basis to play the Disney tracks.....still the best kept secret in golf (in my opinion). Maybe not for long!!

Send me an email if you have any more questions.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Perhaps Buddha can give you some suggestions.
    I'd pretty much just second what Kenny has mentioned. I play Beacon Woods a good bit, and like that course very much.

I would like to emphasize how great the World Woods courses are. The Pine Barrens course is rated in the top-ten for public courses in the US.

Also, the Copperhead course at Innisbrook is gorgeous. I've never played it, but we toured the course when the PGA had the Chrysler Classic this year.

There's a bunch of nice courses in the Tampa area, but it's also close enough to Orlando (1.5 hours) in case you want to play there too.

Check out this website.

Florida golf
    I keeps it real.

Awesome everyone, thanks for the tips! I'll have to see if my classmate/golfing buddy is willing to shell out a few shillings for a trip like this.

Thanks again.

Thread Information