|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Shaft selection Rifle Project X AND flighted-stiffness

Hello

I'm thinking about buying new irons in a couple of months, if my economy allow me.

I'm 5'11 tall and weighs about 168 pounds.
    My current shaft length is 38" for the iron 5 and 45,5" for the driver,. My swing speed is 80mph with the iron 5 and 93 mph with the driver with a 44" shaft, hmm something strange there i think, I mean the correlation between the 5 and the driver.
    Currently I've got standard grips, but I should have MID-size grips......... Which maybe increase the swing speed a bit. I've read that the grip is one of 4 "Leakages" for power
    Fitting says I should have 38,25" 5-iron length.

What shaft-stiffness would you recommend ?
    I'm hitting a 7-iron about 150 yards and my driver about 250yards(Taylor Made 580), not the XD...

My guess is a 5,0..5,5..6.0 shaft?, with 5.0 for more length and 6.0 with more precision and the ability to grow a bit with the shafts ??
    I'm thinking about 6.0 project X shafts....

What would you recommend ?
    Last edited by sortsol; 01-22-2005 at 09:05 AM.

Looking at your swing speed my first reaction would be 5.5 in the flighted and 5.0 in the X. Your distances seem long for your swing speed though. So maybe look at 5.5 in both, I would not recommend you going with 6.0's in either. The 'X' will feel a little stiffer and the flighted will feel a touch softer. It all depends on what you prefer. I will highly recommend the flighted. Great shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by goflyers
    Looking at your swing speed my first reaction would be 5.5 in the flighted and 5.0 in the X. Your distances seem long for your swing speed though. So maybe look at 5.5 in both, I would not recommend you going with 6.0's in either. The 'X' will feel a little stiffer and the flighted will feel a touch softer. It all depends on what you prefer. I will highly recommend the flighted. Great shaft.
    Hello!

According to Golfworks catalogue I should have 6.0 with both shafts. The say driver swing speed 90-100 is 6.0 shaft and a 7-iron 150 yards......
    I agree with your 5.5, but Golfworks makes me insecure.
    How much can a grip change do from standard to MID-size ?
    I'm also increasing the length 0,25". It isn't that much, but the grip and the increase in length together, maybe says 6.0???
    What do you think?

You are the one swinging the clubs and paying for the shaft. What I think doesn't matter. I will tell ya I do not know why a larger grip would increase swing speed... but, if it does that is great.
    I have played with people that can really launch the ball and they only play the Flighted at 5.7 (5.5 tipped and extra 1/4") while having stiff/x stiff in there driver. The X will play stiffer then the Flighted will. You really need to swing both shafts in both flexes but I just think the 6.0 in either is too stiff for your current swing speed and will cost you distance.

What shafts do you currently play? When you had your fitting what shaft did they recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by goflyers
    What shafts do you currently play? When you had your fitting what shaft did they recommend?
    I have different shafts. I have regular in the irons(graphite Top Flite XL 2000, totally wrong shafts great dispersion), Regular in the driver, bit too much dispersion I think (Taylor Made 580).
    Stiff in the 3 and 5 wood, Graman TP540, the best shafts I got. I just don't like the name of them.....

7. I am playing with RP Flighted 5.5 in the Callaway X-18 Pro irons (which I love) and I carry an 8 iron 150yds. I prefer to feel a tiny little kick in my irons but you may prefer otherwise. As far as my driver I use an original NV X-flex and usually carry around 275yds with no wind. I like a little stiffer shaft in the woods. Just my thoughts. Go with what feels right to you, because according to my fitting I should be using a 6.0 in the irons but they felt a touch too stiff. If you carry a 7 iron 150yds you may want to demo a 5.0 flighted and by no means go with a 6.0 in the project X unless you like very little feeling in your irons.

I personally believe that the Golfworks criteria encourage too stiff a shaft for irons. If your swingspeed is in the 90's with a driver, OR hitting a 7 iron 150 yards, they are recommending Rifle 6.0's, and making no distinction between Rifle and the Project X. The Rifle 6.0's are "stiff plus", and 5.5's are "stiff". Project X's play about a half flex stiffer than regular Rifles or flighted, so Project X 6.0's are going to feel very stiff. I'd be really leery about plunging into an entire reshaft, particularly some as costly as the Project X's, without at least calling the Royal Precision/Rifle company rep and discussing it with them.
    http://www.royalprecision.com/ContactUs/Index.cfm
    I've found them helpful and willing to answer questions. It may turn out that the flexes mentioned would work for you, but shafts too stiff are no joy, and will rob you of distance without increasing accuracy.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Thread Information