|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

NV-85 Hybrid or Stock?

Would it be worth upgrading to the NV-85 Hybrid Shaft in a Taylor Made #2 and #3 Rescue Club or just stick with the stock shaft?

Thoughts?

Mike

The stock graphite shafts in the TM Rescue mids are pretty soft, and rather easy to overpower. This (plus some offset and heel weighting) is why you frequently see the TM's called "hook machines". I'd suggest steel or a stouter graphite shaft, like the NV or similar.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

You should upgrade, but you don't need to spend a lot of money to improve upon the stock TM Rescue shafts. I put a stiff flex Mercury Pro Kevlar in a Rescue 22* and it became the straightest-hitting hybrid I've seen yet (and I've built and/or owned at least a dozen). The Pro Kevlar is "just" a $20 shaft, but it's very stable, which is what you need to withstand the torqueing force of the Rescue head. Interestingly, I have put a couple of IROD hybrid shafts in Rescue mid hybrids and haven't noticed a tremendous increase in accuracy with them. You'd find about any upgrade an improvement, but you don't need to buy one as expensive as the NV. My .02.
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

A word of caution. I just went through this process in reshafting my Mizuno Fli-Hi CLKs. Aftermarket shafts labeled specifically as "hybrid" carries on the same theme as the clubhead... that is to help the average player get the ball up on 180 to 200 yard shots. The problem is that if the clubhead promotes higher ball flight already and the shaft does the same, you wind up with a ball flight that balloons. My clubfitter put the NV Hybrid, Grafalloy Blue Hybrid and the Fujikura Banzai on the machine that measures cycles per minute, and the stiff shafts were nowhere near as stiff they needed to be to fit my swing.

While I swing s shafts on my woods, he said that in order for these hybrids shafts to fit the frequency matching of the rest of the clubs in my bag, I'd have to go to an x shaft! He suggested and I wound up with plain, run of the mill Fujikura Vista Pro 90s on them.

Bottom line... the "made specifically for hybrid" shafts are positioned and marketed for higher ball flight so their stiffness rating is skewed quite a bit to the softer side, so be mindful of what you get. You might be hitting "rainmakers" all day with them.

Thread Information