|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Desperate for help on Fairway woods!!

Do you hit your 5 wood further than your three iron? I need to invest in a fairway wood but at the time I dont have the money to be a 3 and a 5 but I need something I can hit on those long par 5's where I need an absolute bomb out of the fairway to get me there. Would it be better to invest in a 3 wood, 4 wood or 5 wood. Most 5 woods are easier to hit out of the fairway than 3 woods, right? Just fill me in on some fairway wood information. Oh and I hit my 3 iron anyway from 205-215 at best - Thanks
    Last edited by autiger678; 01-24-2005 at 06:05 PM. Reason: to get more people to read it

I'd agree with you that the 5 is easier out of the fairway than the 3. I play an Adams
    Tight Lies 3. I've hit the 5 too. They both feel great and don't cost a lot. Adams also
    has their Ovation line, too. I've also hit Callaway fairway woods. They tended to be
    more difficult to handle. I also have a Pro Kennex (don't laugh) 5 and 7 in my bag right
    now. They're cheap, but I love the feel. I can really tank my 5. They are a little
    bottom heavy and tend to want to get under the ball on their own. You know what I mean?
    I hit my 5 about 200 yards, 15 yards longer than my 3 iron. And I hardly ever mishit
    with it. Hope I've said something useful.
    Hit em long and shorten those par 5's!

Sincerely,
    Kenny

Most definetly i hit my 5 wood longer than my 3 iron...I don't even carry a 3 or 4 iron anymore. I have a Callaway steelhead 5 wood and I absolutely love it. I hit it about 200 to 210 yards. If your looking for comfort out of the fairway on those par 5's I would go w/a 4 or 5 wood. I'm not the best ball striker in the world or for that matter on my block, but woods make you look like you are. Try some out first and see what you need and can hit the easiest. Hope this helps.

Veej

Quote Originally Posted by autiger678
    Do you hit your 5 wood further than your three iron? I need to invest in a fairway wood but at the time I dont have the money to be a 3 and a 5 but I need something I can hit on those long par 5's where I need an absolute bomb out of the fairway to get me there. Would it be better to invest in a 3 wood, 4 wood or 5 wood. Most 5 woods are easier to hit out of the fairway than 3 woods, right? Just fill me in on some fairway wood information. Oh and I hit my 3 iron anyway from 205-215 at best - Thanks
    ?I hit my 3-iron as far as you do. And I do not hit my fairway woods as much as I probably should, but I hit my 3-iron well enough that most of the time it doesn't matter. That being said, I can hit my fairwasy woods a long ways. My 5 wood is definatly longer than my 3-iron. There are are few reasons for this mainly IMO the longer sahft = more club head speed = more distance. Try as many woods as you can. Don;t overlook hybrids too, they are great, and you might find you liek those better than either fairway woods or long iorns.
    Serenity NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I love my 5 wood. It gives me distance and good direction too. I must confess that I am pretty pathetic witht the 3 iron but havent bothered to master it as the 5 wood does the same job, only better. You can reach par 5 greens in two with driver + 5 wood, and the birdies will roll in.

Also its easier to hit the 5 wood simply because it has more loft and the shaft is shorter than the 3 wood. This helps is hitting it off the fairway (also semi-rough) with much more ease.
    [FONT=Arial]Girish Dayalan[/FONT]

I definitely carry a 5 wood farther than my 3 iron, but there are times when I can hit my 3 iron longer. Off the tee with a very firm fairway, I can get the 3 iron to go longer than a 5 wood, as I hit the 3 fairly low, and it runs a long way.

I find that for most golfers, a 13-15 degree fairway wood is not a good option from the deck. Most people just cannot carry it far enough and are not accurate enough for it to be a good option. Something in the 17 to 19* range is a lot easier to hit off the deck, and is not a whole lot shorter off the tee on short par 4's where a driver is not needed.

With the advent of very useful "specialty" clubs such as hybrid irons, gap wedges, lob wedges, I find it increasingly difficult to justify carrying a 3-wood. Instead, I carry a strong 5 wood (actually have and have owned several such), which I definitely hit farther than a 3 iron. I can choke down on the 5 wood a bit and still hit high shots to long par 3s, a shot I could never accomplish (and for sure not as easily) with a 3 iron. Or I can whale on it as a second shot on long holes and get within 10-20 yards of where my best 3 wood would land. Because I'm more consistent with the 5 wood than the 3 wood, too, my average distance with the 5 wood might actually be longer. I won't say that I never carry a 3 wood, but I normally would do so only on the longest courses or courses where the par 5's make it a good gamble to go for the green in two.

I've slightly diverted your question, but my answer is that I carry both a 5 wood and a 3 HYBRID ('cause this club is so useful for other shots and yardages), leaving the 3 wood and traditional 3 iron at home.
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

get a hybrid to replace your 5 wood and 3 iron

Thread Information