|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Anybody see Golf Central Last Night?

An acquaintance of mine is playing in the Chrysler event this week in Palm Springs. he was on Golf Central last night for about 3 minutes. They showed him at the Taylor Made factory getting his swing studied in a 3-d computer. he qualified for the Chrysler by winning a tournament that Chrysler sponsored where they invited all the nation;s club champions to compete for 1 spot in the Chrysler field. His name is Glen Mullian and he is the club champ at a course down the street from me. I have hit balls with him several times, and he played in the group ahead of me in the city amateur a few years back. I also walked with he and his caddie 2 years ago as he won the city amateur. He shot 66 yesterday in the first round (meaning he beat Duval by 16 shots........)

regardless on his golf channel interview he said he loved going to the Taylor Made factory because he is 'the ultimate tinkerer' (which is true, he has more iron sets in his trunk than I have in my museum) and he said being at the TM factory was like a drug fix for him.

I appreciated the fact that he is from my hometown and worked 'drug fix' into his golf channel interview. That is what I call representing.

I hope he continues to go low. he plays with a different pro every day at the Chrysler and it sounds like he wants to beat each of them individually.

I walked with him when he shot a 67 at the course in town where they have a Nationwide event. I charted all his yardages and all his shots just so I could see what the best amateurs in town are up to. It was nice for me to see him on the TV. I hope he goes easy on Duval should they be paired.

no, I didnt see it.

Didn't see it.

Is he still considered an amateur? What if he makes the cut? Can he enter other tourneys? Makes it to the Masters, maybe he will take you.

Maybe he can take DD's spot.
    there are probably only a couple of golfers that should refer to themselves as the master. I am sure it is not anyone on this board.

Yes, he is still an amateur. He is really southern and has kind of a mullet. His regular caddie for the important amateur events is a phys. ed teacher at my kids school, so he will most likely get the Masters invite. I watched the coverage yesterday and kept looking for him in the background, and then on Golf Central there he was in a whole segment.

he is 2 time club champion at the ghetto muni (from the late 70's) so I feel a particular bond with him. he no longer plays in the land of corn cob filled 50 gallon steel trashcans, but he certainly looks the part.

I love stories like that.

Usually, it's "a guy that knows a guy that used to have a cabin on the same lake as us is playing in the Chrysler" or some grabage like that.

Up close and personal is sweet to hear.

And that he has a mullet is even better. I hope he goes low all weekend so he gets pushed into the limelight.

Keep us posted, B.

R35
    Last edited by rockford35; 01-27-2005 at 07:12 AM. Reason: edit
    "35 on the front, 50 on the back....I love this game."

www.thegolfchannel.com has this pic of him up.

Please, just call me Schemp...

[QUOTE=Besson]Yes, he is still an amateur. He is really southern and has kind of a mullet. QUOTE]

Cool tale. Any pics of Mullian's mullet? I have me a fine collection going. Ima gonna make me a book of it and earn me some $$$$$.
    You know me you know the score. Keep them satisfied in bed and they wont bother your golf - wise words from The Master, Feb. '05

Looks like that pic will fit nicely into your collection IG. That's a very long mullet, a few years in the works I'd say.
    [FONT=microsoft sans serif]I can only please one person per day.
    Today is not your day.
    Tomorrow isn't looking good either.[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by bull
    Looks like that pic will fit nicely into your collection IG. That's a very long mullet, a few years in the works I'd say.
    I reckon that's Monty. He said he had a hair thing going down a few months back. Looks like he threw in the Tashe for kicks.
    You know me you know the score. Keep them satisfied in bed and they wont bother your golf - wise words from The Master, Feb. '05

Take that picture above, remove the glasses, shorten the back of the hair just a tad, and make the hair kind of curly and you have him.

This all started like 4 months ago when I turned on Golf Channel and they were talking about the Chrysler Club Champions Tournament and cut to film and there he was putting out for victory. I was kind of freaked, I was like ....."Gosh, that is him..."

Then yesterday there he was again.

Not that it is interesting, but at the tournament I walked with him I had worn new shoes and after 7 holes they were cutting up the back of my feet, so his caddie put me in his cart for about 6 holes.

The main thing I got out of that round was he was not missing any shots really, but he kept missing 5-9 foot putts to win the hole. He NEVER got upset, he just kept saying to us "I know I will make my share" and then on the back nine he indeed did and birdied the 230 yard 17th hole to win 2 and 1. I mean, he missed a tiny 4 footer and the opponent had gotten up and down from a really tough spot, and he just kept saying "I'll make my share".

it is like he knew they were coming, he just was not sure exactly which holes they were gonna happen on.

Yeah I saw it, he looks pretty good, I also say that club championship thing when he shot like a 69 or somehing to get in to get in I hope he plays well today.
    Feels just like it should.

Thanks for the report. We'll track him in the tournament...

That's gotta be cool for you. I hope he continues to go low.

Quote Originally Posted by Besson
    I hope he goes easy on Duval should they be paired.
    I hope he kicks Duval's butt. He needs a "come to papa" and from the interviews I've read it doesn't seem like Bob's the one to do it.

Thread Information