|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Golf torture - the shanks - video included!

Ah, the range on Sunday night sure was good times! I decided to go hit some balls outdoor for awhile, as the indoor place I go to only has the launch monitor to actually see ball flight. My range has 90 ball buckets after 8PM, so I setup on the far left side with my 90 and started going at it. I hit 10 or so PWs to loosen up and then decided to spend some quality time with my 6 iron.

The torture began on the first swing and carried through right to the last. Here's the proof:

http://www.mlebeau.ca/movies/shanks.wmv

It's about a 10mb clip that many golfers might find torturous to watch. Keep in mind that not one single swing on there was a repeat, these were all individual shanks (with the occasional pull-hook). I even added my theme song for the night for the sake of artistry (and my first attempt at video editing)!

So painful.

On the plus side, I went to the indoor place and straightened things out last night to some degree and then played a round today and things went alright. Here's a shot of the launch monitor details from my 6 iron attack last night (not perfect, but much better than the night before):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005_0124Image0008 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	1601 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	1169  

Downloading (at super slow speed....)

Using a tee? Ya good practice for par 3s but I mostly use 6 iron off the deck for approach shots on long par 4s and shorter par 5s,
    [FONT=Arial]Girish Dayalan[/FONT]

wow, that was brutal...

not using a tee - you have to put a "tee" into the launch monitor for it to work properly, but the particular tee in there currently is the "green" tee (see the right hand side of the display) - the green tee sits below the surface of the grass and is therefore bsaically the same as hitting it off the deck

this is what the mat on the launch monitor looks like:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005_0124Image0013 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	1593 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	1170  

that looks like a lot of fun, i wonder if there's one of those around my area, I'll have to look into it. How much does it cost to use?

This particular place is called Urban Links Golf Centre (www.urbanlinks.net I think)

They have a 1 year membership for $599 (I missed the special of $499 by about a week - ended on Dec. 31). It's unlimited practice (max of an hour per day if other people are waiting to get in). They also have various pay and play type of setups - the basic hourly rate is $20. I paid for a "Group of Six" combo - any mix of lessons and months for $360. I went with 3 lessons and 3 months. I think if I keep going, I'll get the yearly membership. Right now, I'm still experimenting with the setup though.

Keep in mind, those prices are all in Canadian dollars.

Hey man, nice place. Never been.

Must bring your handicap down real quick.
    [FONT=Arial]Girish Dayalan[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Silver
    Ah, the range on Sunday night sure was good times! I decided to go hit some balls outdoor for awhile, as the indoor place I go to only has the launch monitor to actually see ball flight. My range has 90 ball buckets after 8PM, so I setup on the far left side with my 90 and started going at it. I hit 10 or so PWs to loosen up and then decided to spend some quality time with my 6 iron.

The torture began on the first swing and carried through right to the last. Here's the proof:

http://www.mlebeau.ca/movies/shanks.wmv

It's about a 10mb clip that many golfers might find torturous to watch. Keep in mind that not one single swing on there was a repeat, these were all individual shanks (with the occasional pull-hook). I even added my theme song for the night for the sake of artistry (and my first attempt at video editing)!

So painful.

On the plus side, I went to the indoor place and straightened things out last night to some degree and then played a round today and things went alright. Here's a shot of the launch monitor details from my 6 iron attack last night (not perfect, but much better than the night before):

Dude
    Thanks for sharing your pain. There was some serious shank action going on here and the tune was cool. Still wearing those strides as well. Sweet.

What package do you use to do the video-editing?
    You know me you know the score. Keep them satisfied in bed and they wont bother your golf - wise words from The Master, Feb. '05

I didn't look at the video as I believe that the shanks are contageious so I will not look, what I must sya though is that your are a brave man putting it up here, and I respect you for it.
    Feels just like it should.

Yeah IG, those are my golfing pants. As for the video editing, that was all done in Windows Movie Maker (part of Windows XP). I find it quite sufficient for basic editing, in my limited experience. Free is good too.

TM, it got to the point where it was so bad that it was laughable, so putting it up here is to share the humour of the moment (hour).

Oh, man that was great. Brutal...just brutal. My hands hurt just watching that. I was cheering for you when you made good contact with a couple of those. I've been there standing over the ball thinking, what the f***. Aren't I swinging the same every damn time! Beautiful.
    Bye the way, did you put on your rally cap in the middle there. If so thats my special move too, if I'm hacken it up it is usually the hat to blame. I usually mix up the hat angles and tee behind the ear configurations to fix my swing.
    You are a good man for sharing.

Yeah, I was getting hot so I had to put on my visor (it has a huge sweatband in it and keeps the sweat out of my eyes). It didn't help though.

The sad thing about the good contact ones was that even they weren't good - pulls, hooks, and slices. What a night.

Thanks for the thoughts, I'm glad things are back to "normal".

Ocean Course Santa Barbara...better than Pebble Beach
    thanks for the comic relief...i like d the music and your subtle reactions to your pain...

i found your big problem though...it's pretty simple ans will often cause the shanks...

it's your right leg and foot during the backswing...you need to lock your hip turn with all the strength on the inside of your right leg...from the ass down to your toes...this is what will allow you to turn back correctly to the ball on your downswing...but since your weight goes to the OUTSIDE of your back foot instead of being locked on the inner half, when you start your downswing and rotate back to the ball your weight transfer is off slightly enough that you can't close your body to get thru the ball...

it doesn't help that your swing path is a little outside-in sometimes...this plus getting caught on the outside of your right foot is causing you shanks...then i noticed after a few shanks you became more handsy in an attempt to square the clubface...this just made things worse...don't worry it happens...

but thanks for posting...your swing is pretty decent...i'm guessing you play to about a15-cap...i would try to get your swing more inside/out though unless you fight the hooks and that is why you are going more outside -in...

the folks here who LOVE the 'ass clench' are basically using this clench to hold their weight on the inside of this right leg...which is why the ass clench works...but it really should be called the "right butt cheek ass clench ' ...

turn the toe of your right foot in slightly before starting your swing...this will help prevent you from getting the weight on the outside of this foot...

hope this makes sense...rotate your hips around your right leg...it needs to be the anchor for the entire coil...

steve
    Last edited by Czar of the Short Game; 01-26-2005 at 10:40 AM.

Czar, that's exactly what I've been fighting lately. I need to increase my flexibility to get a decent turn, so that's what I'm working on right now. Some days are better than others at keeping the right leg flexed - that was not one of those days.

Good call on the cause though, that's what I had it figured out to as well after watching the many, many, many shanks.

from watching the video, it looks like your shifting your body forward on the downswing..

Have to look some more..

yep, your body is coming down towards the ball on the downswing...

i think you blocked a couple out

please, work on your balance.

you also look tense.

loosen up

that has to bee the nicest range i have ever seen

there arent any of those around here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This Is The Best Thread Ever....i Like Watchin People Shank The Ball

Hahahahahahahaa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by kirksey74
    i think you blocked a couple out

please, work on your balance.

you also look tense.

loosen up

that has to bee the nicest range i have ever seen

there arent any of those around here
    Haha, see how tense you are after 45 shanks!

I know, my balance was off, it was just a bad night overall. All gone though! No more shanks!

The range is really less nice that it looks - that's astroturf. The "water" and "sand" hazards are painted turf. It's still nice and you can go there year round, but it'd be nice to get an accurate ideal of roll and what not, which you don't get on the turf.

And I'm glad to be able to help you enjoy your sadistic desires to see others shankify a night away!

yeah, after I shank 1, I freak out. but thats just 1 out of 1,000,000

knock on wood

good drill to cure the shanks is to set up a ball normally and then drop another two inches closer to your body. Address the farther ball like you normally would and then try to hit the closer ball on your downswing, a couple times and hopefully your cured (at least for the time being)

I did that this past weekend. For my 3rd shot into a par 5 I had a SW. I pulled back and shank. I knew immediately I was standing too far away. I only do that with my SW every once in a blue moon. I went from a birdie attempt to a 7. WOOHOO!

i stopped watching after the first hit cause i do not want my brain to see that sort of thing. by posting that you will only be hurting other golfers.

but seriously, it happens and you just have to deal with the fact that it will take time to be confident again that you wont do it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by gt77
    good drill to cure the shanks is to set up a ball normally and then drop another two inches closer to your body. Address the farther ball like you normally would and then try to hit the closer ball on your downswing, a couple times and hopefully your cured (at least for the time being)
    Another good drill to cure shanks. Get one of you playing partners to carry a baseball bat or other similar wounding implement. He can stand behind you and every time you "septic tank" one, BHAM! you get a whack with the bat. It may not help with the shanks, but it will sure improve the concentration and awareness. ;)
    You know me you know the score. Keep them satisfied in bed and they wont bother your golf - wise words from The Master, Feb. '05

Instead of turning your right toe in (which will kill any hip turn and cause buku tension in your swing), just kick your right knee in toward the target slightly. Nothing exagerated or enough to seriously alter your stance, just enough to keep a flex in it. This will keep you from locking your R hip and leg, getting stuck on the R side and swaying through the swing. This will promote a proper turn around your body, and better contact.

Another thing that promotes a proper turn, and the "perfect" swingplain, is to widen your backswing. If you take the club away along the target line for as long as possible, and feel as if you are "pushing" your hands away from your body during the backswing, that (along with the knee kick-in) will promote and turn and coil. This a-la Nicklaus and Woods.

But to be honest, look at the output from the launch monitor thingamajiggy. Your swing is probably fine, and that video was an aberration.
    Last edited by bdcrowe; 01-27-2005 at 05:56 AM.
    Please, just call me Schemp...

Quote Originally Posted by bdcrowe
    But to be honest, look at the output from the launch monitor thingamajiggy. Your swing is probably fine, and that video was an aberration.
    Pretty much...I've never had them like that before, and haven't had them since, so it's all good.

Thread Information