|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: MacGregor Clubs

MacGregor Clubs

I've been thinking about getting the MacGregor 1025M's, or possibly the new M675's, but most likely the 1025's cause they would be cheaper. I like them a lot, but I fear their bad quality reputation. Is there anyone here who has played MacGregors or known someone to play MacGregors for longer than a year and had their quality stay pretty good? I hear a lot that the ferrules fall off and eventually the heads will pop off. Any input would be appreciated! Also has anyone tried the new ones...the M675's? Gracias!

Quote Originally Posted by pmclamb
    I've been thinking about getting the MacGregor 1025M's, or possibly the new M675's, but most likely the 1025's cause they would be cheaper. I like them a lot, but I fear their bad quality reputation. Is there anyone here who has played MacGregors or known someone to play MacGregors for longer than a year and had their quality stay pretty good? I hear a lot that the ferrules fall off and eventually the heads will pop off. Any input would be appreciated! Also has anyone tried the new ones...the M675's? Gracias!
    I've been playing the 1025Ms for one year. There is noticeable wear on my most often used irons on the impact area of the face, and the chrome has been worked pretty hard off the bottom of my sand wedge, but then I did a ton of sand work early in the season. I have had no problem whatsoever on fit and integrity, however. I don't know how the lie angles have fared yet, as they are currently in for new grips and having the lie angles checked (I play 2* up). I hit the 3 (cavity back. $25 on e-bay),4 ,5, and 7 throughout the winter, as I have a net and mat setup in my basement. These clubs have held up fine; I'll know how much the lie angles have changed when I pick them up next week. I expect some variations from the usage.

Overall, I have nothing but praise for these clubs. Like all clubs, they hit straight and true when you put a good swing on them, and like all blades, penalize yardage heavily when you hit out toward the toe. Flush hits are like buttah, you hardly feel them. Though this was my first foray into blades (my last set were Wilson cavity backs--yeah, Fatshafts), and I was making 3 swing changes, my handicap dropped 1 stroke, from 13 to 12, and I anticipate (from my latter rounds of the season and my current ball striking sessions) that I will be able to drop another 2 or 3 strokes early in the season (again, presuming my short game remains intact). The last 3 rounds I played were 81-82-81 on fairly tough courses (127 & 131 slopes).

I paid full price for mine, but I have noted the price has dropped precipitously, such that they are now as inexpensive as $299 at Dick's and discounters like Rock Bottom Golf. At these prices, you cannot go wrong.

thanks for the response...they've taken the clubs off the MacGregor site and I can't find the specifications...what are the lofts and lengths of the clubs?
    "You ever been on a shrimp boat?"
    "No, but I've been on a real big boat."

Thread Information