|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Cleaning Your Grips

I am new to this discussion site but I thought I would pass along some helpful information on keeping your grips nice and tacky. I had my irons regripped with Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips two years ago. The guy who regripped them told me the best product to keep those grips like new was SIMPLE GREEN. In Canada you can find it in Canadian Tire Stores, and it is likely sold in the U.S.A. I cut it in half with water, squirt it on my grips and use a soft bristled brush to scrub the grips. Then rinse the grips with clean water and let them air dry. Trust me boys and girls this stuff works! After 300 rounds of golf my grips are still in good condition. I will regrip this winter if I decide not to buy another set of irons. Give Simple Green a try if you can buy it as it does wonders.
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Someone asked what the ingredients were in Simple Green. I got this from the company website. Check the website out, it lists where you can buy this product, internet sales etc.

What are the ingredients in Simple Green?

Simple Green is a blend of water, surfactant (surface-active) agents, wetting agents, emulsifiers, color and scent. Surfactant agents lift grease and oil up off of the surface, wetting agents help Simple Green penetrate soils, and emulsifiers put those soils into solution so that they can be washed away.
    http://consumer.simplegreen.com/

Hope this helps you out.
    Last edited by Golfbum; 12-17-2004 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Additional Information on Simple Green

Welcome

Your tip is very appreciated. I usually clean the club grips with soap and water. I don't think here in Spain i can find the product you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by cuco747
    Your tip is very appreciated. I usually clean the club grips with soap and water. I don't think here in Spain i can find the product you mention.

Sounds like a good tip but simple Green doesn't sell on the shelves here in Ireland. What is it. A Tyre cleaner? What are the active ingredients? I might look out something similar that has the same effect. Thanks.
    You know me you know the score. Keep them satisfied in bed and they wont bother your golf - wise words from The Master, Feb. '05

Quote Originally Posted by spanked
    Thanks Spanked. It hasn't made it to Ireland. I'll pick some up the next time I am across in the US of A. Actually I'm in San Jose at the back end of January 05 (22-28th, I think). Last year I was there for the week and I headed up to SF for the weekend. It was a v. cool place to hang out.
    You know me you know the score. Keep them satisfied in bed and they wont bother your golf - wise words from The Master, Feb. '05

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    I am new to this discussion site but I thought I would pass along some helpful information on keeping your grips nice and tacky. I had my irons regripped with Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips two years ago. The guy who regripped them told me the best product to keep those grips like new was SIMPLE GREEN. In Canada you can find it in Canadian Tire Stores, and it is likely sold in the U.S.A. I cut it in half with water, squirt it on my grips and use a soft bristled brush to scrub the grips. Then rinse the grips with clean water and let them air dry. Trust me boys and girls this stuff works! After 300 rounds of golf my grips are still in good condition. I will regrip this winter if I decide not to buy another set of irons. Give Simple Green a try if you can buy it as it does wonders.
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
    A helpful and very timely piece of advice, a Canadian girl I am seeing at the moment just this morning flew back to Toronto from the UK for Christmas. I will ask her to bring me some back with her in January - who ever said romance was dead!

Wait a minute, Simply GREEN isn't available on the Emerald Isl? This makes no sense to me. If it was, say, Simply Purple I could understand. Or Simply Orange. But Simply GREEN is a travesty. Next you'll tell me you guys don't eat potatoes, have snakes all over the place, and that leprechans are a fable.

Sheesh!
    Please, just call me Schemp...

I don't know why you guys think we are so different to yous we are not potatoes arent a big thing over here. And we probably have something like it but its called something different. And I don't eat potatoes.
    Feels just like it should.

A little light (150) grit sandpaper, an old towel, and a little acetone works wonders, too. Just don't put the towel next to your ashtray.
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

Washing up liquid

I have had my irons for three years now the grips just gey washed in ordinary washing up liquid (Fairy Liquid is my choice because it's gentle on my hands and the bubbles last for ages ) the grips are still nearly as as good as new. I think the important thing is to clean them regularly. I do mine after every 2 or 3 rounds.

Yes I also use fairy liquid its great I do the grips 1 every month. And if there is any left over it is great to blow bubles out of the wee thing and then burst them.
    Feels just like it should.

The lady friend mentioned in my post above has some relatives flying in from Canada next week and they are bringing some of this Simply Green over for me.

Some light Internet research has identified one or two dangers, apparently it's pretty corrosive stuff - no longer used on cars and planes as it damages the wiring. Can those who have used it please confirm that my clubs, hands and apartment floor will not disintegrate as a result - the nice couple below me would go berserk.

Also, could the socially savvy amongst you suggest an appropriate return gift - a six pack of Vileda mop heads perhaps?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]I know what I hate and I don’t hate this.[/FONT]

I use GALLONS of Simple Green each week for household cleaning. I have a large family.
    I am shocked that Simple Green was found to corrode airplane parts. Originally Simple Green was marketed as an eco- friendly cleaner that was so safe you could do your laundry or even brush your teeth with it. The smell is STRONG. Kind of like licorice or absynthe. It is a great product, but really, how dirty are your grips that a damp towel and some simple dish washing soap cannot clean them? I wipe my grips with a damp towel after I play or practice, and they last forever. If they are real dirty some finish sand paper does a great job, and is great for exposing the cord in cord grips as it wears. I like cord grips. Cord grips with ribs. Cord grips with ribs and the traditional Victory pattern on them.

errr if my grips aren't tacky

I go to the pine tar rag...

is that illegal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Simple Green & My Grips

Quote Originally Posted by Besson
    I use GALLONS of Simple Green each week for household cleaning. I have a large family.
    I am shocked that Simple Green was found to corrode airplane parts. Originally Simple Green was marketed as an eco- friendly cleaner that was so safe you could do your laundry or even brush your teeth with it. The smell is STRONG. Kind of like licorice or absynthe. It is a great product, but really, how dirty are your grips that a damp towel and some simple dish washing soap cannot clean them? I wipe my grips with a damp towel after I play or practice, and they last forever. If they are real dirty some finish sand paper does a great job, and is great for exposing the cord in cord grips as it wears. I like cord grips. Cord grips with ribs. Cord grips with ribs and the traditional Victory pattern on them.
    My grips are not dirty nor do they get dirty. I carry a damp towel while golfing and wipe them.
    However after 300 rounds after putting those Tour Velvetson they are still in great shape. Still feel tacky. I might have to re grip this year if I keep these irons. But to get 300 rounds of golf from one set of grips is pretty good considering Pros change theirs on a weekly-bi weekly basis according to what I have read.
    I used soap and water for years, but Simple Green works for me.
    I do not use cord grips so no need for sandpaper. I use Tour Velvets.
    [I][B][COLOR=Green][SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Golf Is Like Sex, You Won't Miss It Until You Ain't Getting Any[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/I]

Thread Information