|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Weather conditions and golf balls

Living in New England and playing golf the early and late season see myself and all others in cold tempretures. IM a little foggy on what ball compresion works best in cold air...I belive it is a softer type ball. Any other types of weather conditions that may warrant a change in ball type?

There are a lot of weather conditions that can effect your golf play. Things such as rain, temperature, early morning dew, snow, as well as the condition of the fairway and green can greatly effect your game. Be sure to always check the golf course conditions before you go out and play a round.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee'd Off View Post
    Living in New England and playing golf the early and late season see myself and all others in cold tempretures. IM a little foggy on what ball compresion works best in cold air...I belive it is a softer type ball. Any other types of weather conditions that may warrant a change in ball type?
    During the cold winter months in San Diego, when the temperature can drop as low as 57 degrees, I typically use the Titleist NXT Tour ball. When the heat index goes up to the unbearable temperature of 88 degrees I use the Pro V1. I also could care less if it has the little * on it.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    During the cold winter months in San Diego, when the temperature can drop as low as 57 degrees, I typically use the Titleist NXT Tour ball. When the heat index goes up to the unbearable temperature of 88 degrees I use the Pro V1. I also could care less if it has the little * on it.
    THe colder the weather, the softer ball you want, yes? Lower compression rating I mean. As it gets colder, the balls core is tougher to compress right?

In the cold months here - if I play, I will play a soft ball like the wilson staff50. Im getting too old to play in the winter though. My bones ache too much! lol

Warmer months I play the Nike One Tour D.

When the temp drops below 40* here in the mid-Atlantic (that's Fahrenheit for you poor serfs trapped in the metric system gulags), real men play their forged blades and use two piece distance balls like Top Flites and Ultras.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    THe colder the weather, the softer ball you want, yes? Lower compression rating I mean. As it gets colder, the balls core is tougher to compress right?

In the cold months here - if I play, I will play a soft ball like the wilson staff50. Im getting too old to play in the winter though. My bones ache too much! lol

Warmer months I play the Nike One Tour D.
    Wrong. I didn't say anything about ball compression because that's all BS anyway. All I know is that I hit the harder balls like Nike Juice, Callaway Warbirds, etc. a lot further than a Pro V1 in the winter. I'm not talking about theory. I'm talking experience from one of the most astute and gifted players in today's game....myself.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

Wrong. I didn't say anything about ball compression because that's all BS anyway. All I know is that I hit the harder balls like Nike Juice, Callaway Warbirds, etc. a lot further than a Pro V1 in the winter. I'm not talking about theory. I'm talking experience from one of the most astute and gifted players in today's game....myself.
    A regular legend in his own mind

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    When the temp drops below 40* here in the mid-Atlantic (that's Fahrenheit for you poor serfs trapped in the metric system gulags), real men play their forged blades and use two piece distance balls like Top Flites and Ultras.

I used to play the Ultra back in 1988. It was a yellow ball and went a mile compared to the other balls. That's when people still bought Wilson products. Now they are relegated to pawn shops, outlet stores and Dollar General. My how the mighty have fallen.

I used to play the Ultra back in 1988. It was a yellow ball and went a mile compared to the other balls. That's when people still bought Wilson products. Now they are relegated to pawn shops, outlet stores and Dollar General. My how the mighty have fallen.
    We played those Ultras because they were cheaper than the good Titleists and didn't cut. I played Pinnacles sometimes because they were a little cheaper. Then Maxfli came out with the Tour MD. I really liked that ball because the script was in Times New Roman-- all caps. That is my favorite type style. In retrospect, those were all hard as rocks but they would go far when well struck by forged blades, persimmon and Pittsburgh Persimmon.

We played those Ultras because they were cheaper than the good Titleists and didn't cut. I played Pinnacles sometimes because they were a little cheaper. Then Maxfli came out with the Tour MD. I really liked that ball because the script was in Times New Roman-- all caps. That is my favorite type style. In retrospect, those were all hard as rocks but they would go far when well struck by forged blades, persimmon and Pittsburgh Persimmon.
    Back in the late 80's I played the Titleist DT, Macgregor Muirfields, Wilson Ultra and some kind of Ram ball. In the early 90's I recall playing the Top Flight Tour (the highest spinning ball I've ever played), the Maxfli Revolution and Titliest Professional.

Back in the late 80's I played the Titleist DT, Macgregor Muirfields, Wilson Ultra and some kind of Ram ball. In the early 90's I recall playing the Top Flight Tour (the highest spinning ball I've ever played), the Maxfli Revolution and Titliest Professional.
    Those wound Titleist DT's were really good balls, especially the 90 when the temp was in the 90's. But they would cut too easily. I found one of those Tit Professional 100's in one of my practice fields last fall. In pristine condition. I hit it with driver and 3 wood a couple of times and it felt exquisite and carried ten yards farther than the modern balls in my shag bag. If felt so good that, alas, I was compelled to blast it into an adjoining corn field because it was the only one and if I got used to it, Murphy's law would pertain and it would desert me at the worst on-course moment. Made the Pro V's feel like Kroflites.

Those wound Titleist DT's were really good balls, especially the 90 when the temp was in the 90's. But they would cut too easily. I found one of those Tit Professional 100's in one of my practice fields last fall. In pristine condition. I hit it with driver and 3 wood a couple of times and it felt exquisite and carried ten yards farther than the modern balls in my shag bag. If felt so good that, alas, I was compelled to blast it into an adjoining corn field because it was the only one and if I got used to it, Murphy's law would pertain and it would desert me at the worst on-course moment. Made the Pro V's feel like Kroflites.

Yep, I too found a near mint Titleist professional and I used it for two holes. It was much softer feeling than the Pro V1 ball I had been using and then spin was far superior. I think the Professional was a superior ball that was simply too expensive for Titleist to make. Cheap sons of beyatches.

I've still got a box of them.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

The reason you hit the Warbirds go better for you is because you are a chopper, and the Warbird is a choppers ball. You don't have the game to get the benefits out of a ProV1, you are wasting your time using them.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    I've still got a box of them.
    I assume that means a dozen? You are indeed a fortunate man.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    The reason you hit the Warbirds go better for you is because you are a chopper, and the Warbird is a choppers ball. You don't have the game to get the benefits out of a ProV1, you are wasting your time using them.
    I know you are just jabbing at FD, but scientifically he is also wrong about compression. Not sure WTF his issue is.....must be his period. Only explanation I can think of.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    I know you are just jabbing at FD, but scientifically he is also wrong about compression. Not sure WTF his issue is.....must be his period. Only explanation I can think of.....
    I think you are both sort ofright with softness and compression. I have played low compression balls that feel soft, but there are some low compression balls that are absolute rocks. The core and cover material has something to do with softness, as does 3 layers over 2.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I think you are both sort ofright with softness and compression. I have played low compression balls that feel soft, but there are some low compression balls that are absolute rocks. The core and cover material has something to do with softness, as does 3 layers over 2.
    True. Not all golfballs will fit nicely into a specific category. Too broad of a brush to paint with. By and large though, I believe the premise is correct.

No...really? The core and cover material have something to do with softness? Man, I never thought of that before. You need to post more often and share more of these brilliant findings.

Just use the Taylormade Penta in any conditions and it will perform better than any other ball you can bag.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    Just use the Taylormade Penta in any conditions and it will perform better than any other ball you can bag.

I'm going to. I found a Taylormade TP Black on the course and played it for 8 holes. It's long and soft. Much better than the Callaway i(s) I was playing .

I'm going to. I found a Taylormade TP Black on the course and played it for 8 holes. It's long and soft. Much better than the Callaway i(s) I was playing .
    I use to play the TP Blacks and Reds, too, but the Penta is way better than them both. The Golf Warehouse had a sale a couple of weeks ago where you could buy 2 dozen Pentas and get one dozen free. This got the price for each dozen down under $30, so I bought myself 3 dozen.

That's the oxymoron of the day!
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

I use to play the TP Blacks and Reds, too, but the Penta is way better than them both. The Golf Warehouse had a sale a couple of weeks ago where you could buy 2 dozen Pentas and get one dozen free. This got the price for each dozen down under $30, so I bought myself 3 dozen.
    So that should last you about 4 rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz View Post
    That's the oxymoron of the day!
    Maybe for you but for those of us who have great length in a flaccid state it's nothing.

Maybe for you but for those of us who have great length in a flaccid state it's nothing.
    Or, even those of us who have flaccid length in a great state.

Do you drive a big truck FD?
    team obnoxious

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz View Post
    Do you drive a big truck FD?

Yep, I got my Ford F-350 raised 3 feet with the big roll bars and lights across the top. I need that for when I go off-roading and boar hunting. Them boars are nasty but I pay no heed. I use a cross bow so it's me against them. Sometimes I'll just go out at midnight with just my hunting knife. I'll tape it to the end of a stick and wait up in a tree for one of them buggers to come by. When they do I jump on them and spear them right there. Then I take a peace of their leg and go cook it in the remains of an old mine shaft just like John Rambo.

Yep, I got my Ford F-350 raised 3 feet with the big roll bars and lights across the top. I need that for when I go off-roading and boar hunting. Them boars are nasty but I pay no heed. I use a cross bow so it's me against them. Sometimes I'll just go out at midnight with just my hunting knife. I'll tape it to the end of a stick and wait up in a tree for one of them buggers to come by. When they do I jump on them and spear them right there. Then I take a peace of their leg and go cook it in the remains of an old mine shaft just like John Rambo.
    Nice! HA! Really though. You just described a guy I work with as in The Great White Hunter sense. Bow n Arrow and all! Good guy though....
    team obnoxious

For nightime boar hunting, I'll take a Miata and my .454 Casull any day (or night).

For nightime boar hunting, I'll take a Miata and my .454 Casull any day (or night).
    Did you mean to say Callaway 454?

Did you mean to say Callaway 454?
    Nope. A five shot 7" barrel revolver that propels a projectile with enough juice to punch through ten wild boars at a greater distance than you could poke that Cally with a 20 knot tailwind and a fairway running at 15. Fitted with a scope and wielded by awfully sturdy hands.

I assume that means a dozen? You are indeed a fortunate man.
    Yes a dozen. As i recall I thought the compression might be too high as i seemed to loose distance with them. That's why i still have them. Perhaps I was wrong and should try them again.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Yes a dozen. As i recall I thought the compression might be too high as i seemed to loose distance with them. That's why i still have them. Perhaps I was wrong and should try them again.
    You should take them out for a spin OP. Use your Ping Eye 2 BeCu irons and you'll be in heaven. Softest feeling balls I've played, other than balata.

You should take them out for a spin OP. Use your Ping Eye 2 BeCu irons and you'll be in heaven. Softest feeling balls I've played, other than balata.
    I might just do that FD. I have been using my TM 300's with rifle 5.0 flighted tha last 2 months or so and have to say I have never hit the ball better.

I might just do that FD. I have been using my TM 300's with rifle 5.0 flighted tha last 2 months or so and have to say I have never hit the ball better.
    Well, I won't argue with you that those are some fine irons right there. However, I reckon you'd play a smidge better if you'd put the old Pings back in the bag and stop messin' around. Everyone knows Eye 2 coppers have that thing going on about them. It ain't no secret.

You and NaH pushing for the "Paddle Players of the Year" award?

Penta's are like $26/dozen now..think of them as an all weather 5 layer ball. Maybe I'm in the minority but thinking about weather and what ball to use seems pretty insignificant...I am an 11.3...maybe if I was better than that I guess.

You and NaH pushing for the "Paddle Players of the Year" award?
    The TM300 is one of the best forged player cavity irons ever made and are far from paddles, probably comparable to the MP60 in shovelness.

You need to face tha facts that the Pinnacle is your ball FD. Stop messing around with balls that are way too much for your game to handle. The Pinnalce is the perfect ball for someone wiht your game, the laws of physics don't lie.

As I recall, it was later on a Saturday afternoon that I found one at an abandoned nine hole executive course where I practice when the local government that bought the property at foreclosure decides to run a Bush Hog mower over it. Lots of guys practice there and its easy to lose balls but it is one of those places you can go and, with a bit of diligence, come back with double the balls in your bag you started out with. Such was the Tit Pro 100. It looked pretty pristine and I remember hitting it with my MP 14 6 iron, PW and Tit 905R. It felt great off the blades but it was hard to tell because it was still like hitting out of first cut rough. Off driver, I carried it on an uphill fairway maybe 240 (yards) compared with the 230 with the Srixon Tri Speeds and AD 333's. It felt great off driver every time (I mostly hit that 905R center-face every time) and the ball flight was a bit higher with more hang time uphill. My impression was it felt noticeably better than any of the Pro V1's or 1x's I've played. If they were still made, I would buy them for important rounds over the Pro V's or Srixon Z's.

As I recall, it was later on a Saturday afternoon that I found one at an abandoned nine hole executive course where I practice when the local government that bought the property at foreclosure decides to run a Bush Hog mower over it. Lots of guys practice there and its easy to lose balls but it is one of those places you can go and, with a bit of diligence, come back with double the balls in your bag you started out with. Such was the Tit Pro 100. It looked pretty pristine and I remember hitting it with my MP 14 6 iron, PW and Tit 905R. It felt great off the blades but it was hard to tell because it was still like hitting out of first cut rough. Off driver, I carried it on an uphill fairway maybe 240 (yards) compared with the 230 with the Srixon Tri Speeds and AD 333's. It felt great off driver every time (I mostly hit that 905R center-face every time) and the ball flight was a bit higher with more hang time uphill. My impression was it felt noticeably better than any of the Pro V1's or 1x's I've played. If they were still made, I would buy them for important rounds over the Pro V's or Srixon Z's.
    I'm not convinced that the ProV1 and similar premium balls are better than their predecessors. Modern premium balls go straight, feel harder and don't spin as much as balls from 10 years ago. The original ProV1 was popular because of it's extra distance, not any better playability. I remember when they first came out and I thought they were distance rocks compared to what I was using at the time, and I've never had distance issues and have always chosen softness and spin over distance. The Callaway Rule 35 Blue, Strata Tour Ultimate, Precept Tour Premium and Nike Tour Accuracy were much better balls to use off the irons and around the greens IMO. I miss the days of watching a full lob wedge spin it's tits off and back up 30 feet on a flat green. The Tour Premium and Strata Tour Ultimate were absolutely insane whe it came to stopping power. I think my early experiences with the original ProV1 has put me off them for life, I just think of those first distance balls and can't bring myself to paying $70 a dozen.

I'm not convinced that the ProV1 and similar premium balls are better than their predecessors. Modern premium balls go straight, feel harder and don't spin as much as balls from 10 years ago. The original ProV1 was popular because of it's extra distance, not any better playability. I remember when they first came out and I thought they were distance rocks compared to what I was using at the time, and I've never had distance issues and have always chosen softness and spin over distance. The Callaway Rule 35 Blue, Strata Tour Ultimate, Precept Tour Premium and Nike Tour Accuracy were much better balls to use off the irons and around the greens IMO. I miss the days of watching a full lob wedge spin it's tits off and back up 30 feet on a flat green. The Tour Premium and Strata Tour Ultimate were absolutely insane whe it came to stopping power. I think my early experiences with the original ProV1 has put me off them for life, I just think of those first distance balls and can't bring myself to paying $70 a dozen.
    I liked the wound DT's too and would play them today if they were still made. DT 90's during most of the season and the 100's when it gets really hot. If you were a decent ball striker, you woundn't cut them very often. And with today's max COR drivers, I bet they would still be rockets.

I liked the wound DT's too and would play them today if they were still made. DT 90's during most of the season and the 100's when it gets really hot. If you were a decent ball striker, you woundn't cut them very often. And with today's max COR drivers, I bet they would still be rockets.
    Whe it came to wound balls, I like the Maxfli Revolution or the HT. The later A10 was an awesome ball too and would probably still sell today if it was still being made. Wound balls had a unqiue feel that none of the modern 3 piece balls can duplicate.

You need to face tha facts that the Pinnacle is your ball FD. Stop messing around with balls that are way too much for your game to handle. The Pinnalce is the perfect ball for someone wiht your game, the laws of physics don't lie.
    Pinnacle balls are no different than any other ball when playing against someone of your limited abililty. Whatever ball I use would suffice and I might as well play the cheap balls to match your cheap equipment.

The TM300 is one of the best forged player cavity irons ever made and are far from paddles, probably comparable to the MP60 in shovelness.
    Anything that is not forged in the internal fires of Mt. Fuji are not worth playing. All other makes and forgings have not been blessed by the spirits of passed Samurai and therefore cannot be dependable on the field of battle.

Anything that is not forged in the internal fires of Mt. Fuji are not worth playing. All other makes and forgings have not been blessed by the spirits of passed Samurai and therefore cannot be dependable on the field of battle.
    I think they would pass your test Sooner as my TM 300's are Miura forged.

I think they would pass your test Sooner as my TM 300's are Miura forged.
    Well, . . . . . . alright then, . . . . . . you show your superiority in taste once again. Any way you can pass that on to NaH somehow?

Well, . . . . . . alright then, . . . . . . you show your superiority in taste once again. Any way you can pass that on to NaH somehow?
    NAH probably has multiple sets of GFF. My guess is he just claims to play the Powerbilt TPS just to get you going.
    Us Aussie golfers are pretty switched on you know. We have one of the best environments for golf and some of the best golf courses in the World.

NAH probably has multiple sets of GFF. My guess is he just claims to play the Powerbilt TPS just to get you going.
    Us Aussie golfers are pretty switched on you know. We have one of the best environments for golf and some of the best golf courses in the World.
    There's a reason back in the days before money dominated you would see names like Nicklaus, Strange, Payne Stewart, Player, Palmer, Seve and Daly regularly on the Aussie summer tour. Our tour was reputedly a great place for young pros to come to develop their game. The courses are so hard and fast and the greens so slick and true compared to America courses. The depth of talent for the locals also made it a tough place t win for the overseas players. Ernie Els has gone on record saying he has played events at Royal Melbourne just to play thge course. He rates them the best greens on the planet.

Thread Information