|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

bending ping irons

Ok, I went to go get fitted and they said I need blue dot ping irons with standard length shaft. Doesnt the dot code mean the angle of the club face? So couldnt I get black dot irons off of ebay and have them bended to blue dot angles? any info helps thanks doe

I don't know about ping's specifically, but you don't want to bend the irons too much they will be weaker. That is if you can even bend the Ping brand of irons.
    Where do you live? If it is winter, stay cool and scour ebay every day for some blue ones. No sense in getting in December what you can't hit until May.
    Just wait one minizzle!

I have no personal experience but I know Ping makes Cast Irons and they are more brittle than forged irons.

A forged club is made by forming a block of metal into the shape of a golf
    club head. Literally, pounding it into shape using hard steel dies.

A cast club is made by shooting molten metal into a mold under high pressure.

Thus, I would say Pings are probably not ideal for bending ... maybe just a little before they break.
    ---------
    Allo, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

There is something you should know...I am not left handed. [au]

That word... I do not think it means what you think it means

Doe,

No problem. Ping irons can be bent up to, I believe, 2 degrees. Thus you could easily bend a black to even a green if need be. 1 degree should be no problem. Call a local Ping fitter. Some of them have the equipment to bend them for you on site. If you need official word, call Ping at 1-800-474-6434 and they will give you the info you need.

Krafty1

I bought a set of ping irons Green dot I think they were a clearance sale because they are i3's and the i3+ are out. I need them bent more upright than they already are allI have to do is get fit and ship them to ping they will do the bending for free and recolour the dot accordingly. Not only that but they register the serial # of the irons in case you ever need one replaced and they can build you a new one anytime.

Contact ping about buying them from Ebay see if they have any issues,I doubt it. They have a good web site check it out.

When bending the lie of the club it works like this if the lie of the club head is too flat the toe will dig in and cause fades. If bent too upright the heel hits the ground heavy and can cause hooks. What you ideally want is center contact on the bottom of the clubhead. A fitting pro can explain this to you.

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    Ping irons are made of 17 series stainless steel and are cast. They are extremely difficult to bend without the proper eqiupment. If you want the Ping clubs, buy them in the correct lie angle or send them to Ping for adjustment. The average club shop has an equal chance of breaking them or bending them and they won't pay to replace them if they break.

I spoke to Ping today and they said that the bendability (word?) of the club is directly correlated to the age of the club. A new club could be bent 3-4 degrees, from there the older the club the less tolerant it is of bending and thus more risk of breakage.

Krafty1
    The only time my prayers are never answered is on the golf course.
    -- Billy Graham

Cast irons are generally made of

1)Carbon steel of some sort (must to plated to prevent rust)
    2) 304 (soft stainless)
    3) 431 (sort of middle of the road in hardness and durabilty)
    4) 17-4 (Hard stainless)

I think the customer service department at Ping was at lunch and you happened to get the cleaning lady. Age has very little effect on bending, if any. Ping uses the 17 series stainless steel. It is very difficult to bend. On the other side of the coin, they wear like iron.
    Want to break a Ping iron? Take one from a frozen trunk and put it in a loft/lie machine.

Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee, new forum......to bad you can't start with a new attitude.
    I know that you have some decent contributions.
    Why don't you grow up?
    Rick is right about you.

No matter how nasty you are, I am going to be nice to you. Hi!

Thread Information