|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

How does one practice the short game?

How does one practice the short game without belonging to a country club? I mean lets face it the only way to get in quality short game practice is to have unlimited use of a green with bunkers , a fairway, and some good greenside rough. In other words a nice par 3 hole. With this one can practice different shots to see how they roll on the green and its awesome for figuring carry to roll issues. I have tried the par three course route but the their are too many people playing and you don't have the time to stop and get in good quality practice. I have also tried the twilight approach to this issue and those bargain hunting players abound and you can't slow up play. I need a damn par 3 just to hone my short game but the overcrowding issue and cost is just too much! I belive issues such as this are the big reason as too why AMerica's overall handicap has not dropped! What does one do to get in a quality short game practice......

Right near my house is a cute little par 3 course. I can use a driver on only one hole. The rest consist of both long and short par 3's. Some are 225 and some are 110.

This is a facility that I have not utilized much but have had it in the back of my mind for some time. I figure an 18 hole par 3 course is great for the short game.

You're right about that sling. I used to sneak out for lunch at a 10 hole par 3 (which is now a super wal-mart). My short game was the bomb. I need to start working on the short game again so I can score.
    Please, just call me Schemp...

Tee'd, do none of the ranges around you have short game facilities? Maybe I'm spoiled, but there's a large public range near my house that has a "decent" short game area (chipping green, pitching green, putting green, two bunkers) that you can only use if you're a member ($20 or so/year...which also gets you discounted range balls). They've also added a nice short 9 hole part 3 course with HUGE greens to give you some realistic putting practice.

You might check out some of your local ranges to see if they have something similar.

Practice chipping into a bucket in your yard from different distances, put in your house on the carpet. Spend a little more time on the practice facilities before a round.
    Last edited by JasonMacIsaac; 02-14-2005 at 10:41 PM.

Par 3 Course!!! It makes Magic...

Here is my secret to practice the Short Game!!!

I go on my Favorite Par 3 Course, week days if possible so i am almost alone!!! Light rain makes it great... I am always alone... Early in the morning at 7h30 am...

I take with me 3 of my favorite Balls so i could practice at least with 3 "tee shots" per hole.

I mark on my scorecard: XL3000, Noodle, A10; those balls are like names of players. So i start the game. Mr "A10" makes par on first hole because i was able to reach it with a PW on 115 Yards with heavy wind towards me. So i soon realise that the A10 has more distance than the other 2 balls. But at the same time, the A10 is a bit to Solid around the greens. I like better the XL3000 Super Spin and the Noodle around the greens.

I love playing there often. I am starting to know the course and my swing. So when different conditions arrive, i soon realise how it can affect the trajectory and the results... Let's say my worst "enemy" is a hard side wind. And final results is that my favorite ball: the Noodle; gives me really better results on the scorecard... When i practice that Par 3 course, i could sometimes go around the 9 holes 5 times; that makes alot of practice ( 5 rounds x 9 holes x 3 balls = 135 Holes).

Good Practice;
    all that for a cheap 8$ (Canadian!!!)

yea the par 3 course thing is a good idea. also try reading dave pelz short game bible. it tells you how to do the most important thing, which is to maximize and make your practice the most efficient.

I am fortunate enough to have a PGA (public) teaching course within a few miles of where I live. As well as a great regular driving range, there are practice bunkers, as well as chipping greens and two large putting greens. I'll bet if you check around, there is probably a public course within reasonable driving distance that allows short game practice besides putting.

I also agree with the par 3 course idea. When I'm having a time when my iron game is in the toilet, I'll play a round at the par 3 course. It's great practice. The one I'm near actually isn't as easy as it might sound. The greens are really small compared to a regular course, so it really puts a premium on distance and directional accuracy.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I practice at my own 250 yard driving range with 3 bunkers and 2 greens it's great. Never anyone to btoehr you, I usually hit a around 300 balls a day when non competiton and more thsn half with a wedge it has really helped my game.

I hit all kinds off short game shots flops over trees, pitch and runds bunker shots of a hanging lye, 80 yard shots with a 3/4 though SW they spin like a mo fo it's great.
    Feels just like it should.

Wow master your own 250 yard range!?. No wonder you are good.
    [FONT=Arial]Girish Dayalan[/FONT]

I hit a whole bucket with only my wedges at least twice a week.

I hit shots in alternating fashion, starting with short and moving to longer shots, maybe 10-15 balls per shot. I usually start with something short, like 15 yards. I aim for something substantial, like the end cut of the driving range tee box. Then I'll go for the 75 yard marker. Then the 25 yard bunker/green. After hitting an entire bucket of this, i'll go to the chipping green and hit bump and run shots, then flops, then bump and runs again. I use my own golf balls for this, as these feel shots are where you need to know what your ball is going to do.

Then I spend 45 minutes on the putting green. Everytime I hit balls, even if it's all the clubs in my bag, i spend a minimum of 20 minutes at the green hitting short putts, lags, and 10-15 footers.

The short game is single handedly the most important aspect of your game. Many people take it for granted.

I bet I hit 12 drivers in a whole week of practice.

R35
    "35 on the front, 50 on the back....I love this game."

Quote Originally Posted by Silver
    Tee'd, do none of the ranges around you have short game facilities? Maybe I'm spoiled, but there's a large public range near my house that has a "decent" short game area (chipping green, pitching green, putting green, two bunkers) that you can only use if you're a member ($20 or so/year...which also gets you discounted range balls). They've also added a nice short 9 hole part 3 course with HUGE greens to give you some realistic putting practice.

You might check out some of your local ranges to see if they have something similar.
    Your not spoiled, any decent range will have a short game area for chipping and putting and hopefully a bunker. I buy a small bucket and spend a lot of time there.
    "Always repair your divot."

short game

I would find a nice municipal course or a driving range. Most municipal courses have practice areas at which you can spend hours around. (at least in Kentucky they do) As well as find a driving range that has a practice green area. ALmost 99% of the time you will find these off some way from the tees where no one goes because its more fun to hit the driver. Most university sponsored courses also have practice areas.

chris

I normally practice my short game close to the hole.

Thread Information