|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Shoulder Strength?

How important is shoulder strength in a golf swing? I know how important flexibility in shoulders is, and I have pretty good flexibility...but I have been wary to do any weights for my shoulders because it will take away some of my flexibility and I am not sure it would do me any good?

So how important is it and what does it do for you in a swing?
    "You ever been on a shrimp boat?"
    "No, but I've been on a real big boat."

I don't think shoulder strength is important at all. Wrist and forearm strenght is much much more importanat.

I guess you'd have to define shoulder strength. I'm no expert on anatomy or physical training, but if you look at top players, they all look pretty well-developed in the shoulder area. Not bulky, mind you, but certainly strong--with visible musculature. I've been a life-long believer in the philosophy that any exercise (golf not included) that caused you to sweat was not worth doing, but I've recently started doing some light lifting 4 or 5 times a week--just 20-30 minutes with no more than 100 pounds--and it's done nothing but help my golf swing and my flexibility.

Within reason, without (for example) doubling your shoulder bulk, I doubt that light weight work would harm your flexibility at all and would increase the stability of your swing through strengthening the "big[ger]" foundation muscles.
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

Shoulder development is actually pretty important to protect the rotator cuffs. Flexability can be debilitating without some support from the shoulder muscles.
    Please, just call me Schemp...

Adding muscle will not hurt your flexibility if you stretch regularly. Bulking has only allowed me to hit the ball a lot farther.

I do all kind of shoulder work outs for baseball which i think has also helped me alot in golf.

I'm a pitcher so flexibility and shoulder strength is a must

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think both shoulder strength and flexibility are very important in the golf swing. As long as you do a lot of repetitions with fairly light weight while doing your shoulder workouts, you shouldn't bulk up much. You will develop long muscles, and as long as you continue stretching, you will remain flexible.

Thread Information