|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Pre shot routine

I had a round yesterday and played really poorly, just never felt comfortable over the ball. After things went wrong instead of trying to steady the ship I became rushed and lost my focus.

I played again today and decided to stick rigorously to a pre shot routine I developed last summer. This involves two full practise swings from directly behind the ball picturing the exact shot I want to play in my mind, set up to the ball, two waggles then hit (I do this for pitches, chips and putts too - minus the waggles for putting). End result I played the best round I have played since early December and I felt totally in control of what I was doing.

I'm convinced that when I play poorly it is mostly due to concentration and I think I learned a good lesson from the last two days.

My question is, do other people have pre shot routines, if so what are they and do you notice a difference in the quality of your play if you don't stick to them?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]I know what I hate and I don’t hate this.[/FONT]

There is a definite "car wreck" for me if I get rushed and away from my PSR. Mine is to pick out my target, decide the shot to hit, picture myself hitting that shot and details of the ball in air, then landing... Then two practice swings to get the feeling of my tempo and the shot I want to hit. Align, pull the trigger.
    Please, just call me Schemp...

I have a pre shot routine before every shot. It is just a habbit for most people or even something they do if they are nervous.

Personally mine is just standing behind the ball visualizing the shot take one practice swing then I'm ready to hit it. I would never hit a shot without doing this and it has helped improve my game.
    Feels just like it should.

I've just started trying to do one. I don't have a "trigger" like some people do, such as Jesper blowing into his hand, or some people tug on their sleeve or spin their club or whatever, but that may come in time.

Mine is currently "BUSS GAS"

Behind the ball and pick a target
    Understand the shot I want to make and the surrounding environment
    See the shot in my mind
    Swing once for practice, tempo, and feel

then step up to the ball and

Grip the club properly
    Align myself with my target line
    Stance has to be set up with my alignment, including shoulders, feet in the proper position, etc

Then go.

I've only just started this, but I noticed that even if I didn't hit a good shot, I sort of felt like I had done what I could to make sure that I did and when I didn't do what I could, I knew that I could have at least made an effort by going through my routine. I think it will help me maintain my cool and focus on the course.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver
    I've just started trying to do one. I don't have a "trigger" like some people do, such as Jesper blowing into his hand, or some people tug on their sleeve or spin their club or whatever, but that may come in time.

Mine is currently "BUSS GAS"

Behind the ball and pick a target
    Understand the shot I want to make and the surrounding environment
    See the shot in my mind
    Swing once for practice, tempo, and feel

then step up to the ball and

Grip the club properly
    Align myself with my target line
    Stance has to be set up with my alignment, including shoulders, feet in the proper position, etc

Then go.

I've only just started this, but I noticed that even if I didn't hit a good shot, I sort of felt like I had done what I could to make sure that I did and when I didn't do what I could, I knew that I could have at least made an effort by going through my routine. I think it will help me maintain my cool and focus on the course.
    An even better one-- one that that never fails to alleviate the gravity of pressure shots follows, Silver:

P
    A
    S
    S

G
    A
    S

No thanks necessary. ;)
    Please, just call me Schemp...

Quote Originally Posted by corbo
    I had a round yesterday and played really poorly, just never felt comfortable over the ball. After things went wrong instead of trying to steady the ship I became rushed and lost my focus.

I played again today and decided to stick rigorously to a pre shot routine I developed last summer. This involves two full practise swings from directly behind the ball picturing the exact shot I want to play in my mind, set up to the ball, two waggles then hit (I do this for pitches, chips and putts too - minus the waggles for putting). End result I played the best round I have played since early December and I felt totally in control of what I was doing.

I'm convinced that when I play poorly it is mostly due to concentration and I think I learned a good lesson from the last two days.

My question is, do other people have pre shot routines, if so what are they and do you notice a difference in the quality of your play if you don't stick to them?

My PSR is very similar to yours, however sometimes I will take extra practice swings like 3 or 4, this is when I get into trouble by overthinking. When I keep it consistent, I play much better. I think 2 practice swings is perfect. Maybe as I continue to get better and more comfortable, I will cut it down to 1 practice swing.
    "Always repair your divot."

Is that a result of the butt clench?

I actually derived mine from something I saw somewhere about following the "GAS" technique (grip, alignment, stance), but wanted to take it one step further and incorporate pre-shot visualization into it. BUSS was the best I could do in the moment.

Thread Information