|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Swing Weight, Related to swing speed?

What should my swing speed be in order to hit a D3 swing weight driver?
    Or it doesn't even related.

Hi Kuk!!!

Basically, with the same swing speed for whatever Swing weight, the more weight you have at the end of the Club, the more distance you will gain, because the energy of the Club head at impact is in relation with the speed and the weight of the Club. But Swing weight has an impact on swing speed. The more heavy, the harder it gets to gain speed. But i think personnally, that the worst thing when swinging with a Heavy Club is that when you need to correct your swing, the harder it is to do it. So generally, heavy club are for better players with great swings. Those players generally master the swing and do not correct their swing, so manipulating a heavy club benefits them alot. So mid or high handicapers should play with lighter Swing weights. With time, when your swing gets better, you could benefit from a Heavier Club.

Of course, that only an opinion!!!

Thanx for the info!
    QUOTE=Neil-Tiko]Hi Kuk!!!

Basically, with the same swing speed for whatever Swing weight, the more weight you have at the end of the Club, the more distance you will gain, because the energy of the Club head at impact is in relation with the speed and the weight of the Club. But Swing weight has an impact on swing speed. The more heavy, the harder it gets to gain speed. But i think personnally, that the worst thing when swinging with a Heavy Club is that when you need to correct your swing, the harder it is to do it. So generally, heavy club are for better players with great swings. Those players generally master the swing and do not correct their swing, so manipulating a heavy club benefits them alot. So mid or high handicapers should play with lighter Swing weights. With time, when your swing gets better, you could benefit from a Heavier Club.

Of course, that only an opinion!!![/QUOTE]

My opinion would be somewhat different, more along the order of swing weight not related to swing speed. As you probably know, swing weight is a measurement of balance point on the club, not "static" or total weight. Thus, you could have one driver weighing 330 grams and another driver weighing 660 grams--both with the same swingweight. Total or static club weight has much more of a relation to swing speed, and the golfer's strength, than does swing weight.

Disclaimer: some believe that less-strong players should play lighter swingweights, reasoning that even a balance point weighted [relatively] toward the head of the club makes the club harder for the player to control. However, even that hypothesis is far from universal in application. I have found it particularly true in players of all "strength" or swing speed levels that if their swing is erratic and/or they lack sensitivity as to clubhead position in the swing, they are likely to benefit from slightly heavier swing weights, adding "feel" of the clubhead. Depending upon the individual swing, a given player might swing a club with a "heavy" swing weight such as D4 or above very slightly slower than one with a lighter swing weight. That said, the same player still might swing a heavier swing weight more smoothly and more accurately.
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

so, where can i go to test what kind of swing weight that i will suit the best?

Quote Originally Posted by jc@bg
    My opinion would be somewhat different, more along the order of swing weight not related to swing speed. As you probably know, swing weight is a measurement of balance point on the club, not "static" or total weight. Thus, you could have one driver weighing 330 grams and another driver weighing 660 grams--both with the same swingweight. Total or static club weight has much more of a relation to swing speed, and the golfer's strength, than does swing weight.

Disclaimer: some believe that less-strong players should play lighter swingweights, reasoning that even a balance point weighted [relatively] toward the head of the club makes the club harder for the player to control. However, even that hypothesis is far from universal in application. I have found it particularly true in players of all "strength" or swing speed levels that if their swing is erratic and/or they lack sensitivity as to clubhead position in the swing, they are likely to benefit from slightly heavier swing weights, adding "feel" of the clubhead. Depending upon the individual swing, a given player might swing a club with a "heavy" swing weight such as D4 or above very slightly slower than one with a lighter swing weight. That said, the same player still might swing a heavier swing weight more smoothly and more accurately.

If you're very interested in swingweight (not a lot of golf instructors, in my experience, are), you might pick up an inexpensive swingweight scale and a roll of lead tape, then start testing your own clubs to see what you like. Golfworks sells a very workable swingweight scale for under $30.

http://www.golfworks.com
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

Thread Information