|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Mickelson made pact with the devil?

What is the deal with this guy? First he nearly shoots a 58, then a few weeks later he shoots a 60, now the first round of the AT&T, and he's already 6 under on the front nine?
    Wow...talking about being on a hot streak.

I'm sure the boys at Callaway are all feeling brilliant these days.

Yeah, and somebody at Titleist probably got canned...

The Callaway cafeteria.....

Lets sign Phil Mickelson to a contract. Brilliant!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Callaway will feel happy only when he is lifting a few trophies this season. Shooting a 58 or 60 and not winning won't make any difference.

NickP, you know he won last week, right? Or are you only talking majors?

I wonder what the execs at Nike are thinking...Duval at +8 after 11. Man, I've had rounds that good before.

I know this is dumb, but does anyone know if the amateurs are tracked online. I think it would be funny to see how the hacks are playing.
    I know they have a team trophy. I would like to see who is leading. I feel dirty but I can't help but look at the train wreck that is Duval...I want to see if his amateur is beating him. The guy is a 4 or 5 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubin
    I know this is dumb, but does anyone know if the amateurs are tracked online. I think it would be funny to see how the hacks are playing.
    I know they have a team trophy. I would like to see who is leading. I feel dirty but I can't help but look at the train wreck that is Duval...I want to see if his amateur is beating him. The guy is a 4 or 5 I think.

Hmmmmm. Where are you from Rubin? I have a small hunch.
    there are probably only a couple of golfers that should refer to themselves as the master. I am sure it is not anyone on this board.

Notice the driving distances for everyone.....I think average....70th....is around 265 in the tourney. Not that 290 we keep on seeing. Instead of making the courses longer they should start cutting into the grain like Augusta does, that will take some distance away.

Quote Originally Posted by onetime
    Hmmmmm. Where are you from Rubin? I have a small hunch.
    haha no, why...do you think I might have ill will for him from his Georgia Tech days? Colorado maybe ? Nah, I live SLC now, previously from Oahu.

I actually like Duval, he seems more human now. It must be tough to struggle on such a public stage. I applaud him for trying.

I was just wondering how his partner was playing out of morbid curiosity. Not schadenfrued (i hope).

I am not sure if you can find that info. but I am sure a few amatuers will beat him. They play off the forward tees though so it doesn't count.

Having said that, they could probably move back and beat him.
    there are probably only a couple of golfers that should refer to themselves as the master. I am sure it is not anyone on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by onetime
    I am not sure if you can find that info. but I am sure a few amatuers will beat him. They play off the forward tees though so it doesn't count.

Having said that, they could probably move back and beat him.

Oh, I didn't realize that they don't play from the tips. I wasn't sure how they set up the pro-ams. That makes sense though.

The deal with the devil looks like the real thing. Phil finished the day with a course record 62 at Spyglass Hill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phil.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	1198  
    Last edited by DaveE; 02-10-2005 at 02:53 PM. Reason: pic didn't work first time

Yep, Callaway sucks.

Now who's laughing? ;)

R35
    "35 on the front, 50 on the back....I love this game."

Quote Originally Posted by GoMocs
    Lets sign Phil Mickelson to a contract. Brilliant!
    LMAO. I think there is room for a Guinness logo on Phil's shirt.

I don't think callaway sucks, I just don't like the clubs I have demoed by callaway....

I enjoy my Mizuno irons, titleist putter, Taylor made 3 wood, cleveland wedges, Adams driver and 5 wood....I haven't hit alot of callaway products....who knows I might get hooked on callaway one day...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

So is this the case where equipment helped Phil or was it simply Phil breaking into form and he could have done this as easily with Mizuno or Taylor Made?

Quote Originally Posted by NickP
    So is this the case where equipment helped Phil or was it simply Phil breaking into form and he could have done this as easily with Mizuno or Taylor Made?

I think this is a question that has no right answer, nor any way to find out the answer. The guy can play, Callaway or not. But he has always maintained that Callaway was a big reason for his better play as of late 04. So, there are two sides to the coin.

Sometimes, timing is worth more than it's weight in gold. Even Phil's weight.

R35
    "35 on the front, 50 on the back....I love this game."

Quote Originally Posted by NickP
    Another factor that might be attributed to his stellar play recently is just the fact that Titleist dumped him. He may have found that extra motivation just to rub it in Titleist's face that they made a big mistake.

Of course, that's just speculation on my part, and may not have anything to do with his performance lately.

Quote Originally Posted by rockford35
    But he has always maintained that Callaway was a big reason for his better play as of late 04. So, there are two sides to the coin.R35
    That could be Phil pimping his new sponsor but whatever the reason behind Phil's recent success, I'd like more of that. Phil's one of the nice guys on tour and extremely talented not to win at least one major every year.

The key to Philly Mick's success is not Callaway, it is a couple of guys named Rick Smith and Dave Pelz. People keep forgetting that these two guys changed his way of thinking and playing. I do agree that Titleist dumping him may have contributed to the fact that he is now more motivated. I also wonder if his wife and kids are demanding more possesions so he now has to make more money. Hmmmmm.

isnt...

Isn't it possible that he is going thru that period of his career when he is "IN THE ZONE"?

Isn't it possible that he is going thru that period of his career when he is "IN THE ZONE"?
    It could be, but what caused him to change something to put him in that zone. Really it's hard to tell. I don't think it is Callaway, because noone else who is playing callaway on tour is "in the zone" from what I know of. I could be wrong.

players

players in all sports have those periods when they are in the zone. In college on our intramural basketball team we had a guy who had a game that was out of the twilight zone. He had somethiong like 44 of our 50 points, he kept hitting every thing he through up and we kept passing to him. He was hitting hook shots from the top of the key. It happened for one game then he was back to normal. Baseball players will have a month where they hit much better than their career stats .....why? you tell me.

players in all sports have those periods when they are in the zone. In college on our intramural basketball team we had a guy who had a game that was out of the twilight zone. He had somethiong like 44 of our 50 points, he kept hitting every thing he through up and we kept passing to him. He was hitting hook shots from the top of the key. It happened for one game then he was back to normal. Baseball players will have a month where they hit much better than their career stats .....why? you tell me.
    Yes I agree with getting into a zone for a game or for a month but Philly Mick has been in a zone for over a year and has just now peaked lately. He was "in a zone" even before he hooked up with Callaway. So the "in a zone" theory I don't think really holds up here.

Well, he may not be "ranked" #1, but I think he's arguably the best player in the world today.

He just shot a 64 opening round (and that's with two bogeys), at the Doral. I know there's a couple of other players that also shot 8 under today, but lately, this is like a "normal" round for Phil. It's like if he doesn't shoot 65 or better, he had a bad day. lol

Thread Information