|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: swingweight

swingweight

i just purchased an r7 quad, and was wondering if there was an easy, and good looking way to reduce the swing weight. right now its at d2, and i want down to about d1 or d0... can anyone help? I am currently using four dimes, each weighing 2 grams each, tapped to the end of the grip... it should be just about d0 but it doesn't look that great with hockey tape holding it on! lol thx a bunch

2. Buy a heavier grip and have that installed. Or, if your not happy with the shaft, replace it with something about 8 - 10 grams lighter. This will get you into the D1 range.

Quote Originally Posted by funamotoa
    i just purchased an r7 quad, and was wondering if there was an easy, and good looking way to reduce the swing weight. right now its at d2, and i want down to about d1 or d0... can anyone help? I am currently using four dimes, each weighing 2 grams each, tapped to the end of the grip... it should be just about d0 but it doesn't look that great with hockey tape holding it on! lol thx a bunch
    If you just bought the R7 Quad with stock shaft and considering another shaft.... you may want to go with a slightly heavier shaft and new grip to go with head.

I reshafted my R7 along with a new grip and also got the TP Weight Kit upgrade that allowed me to change the swingweight of my driver.

How open are you to experimenting? Quite a few golfers are now using "backweighting" or counter-weighting on the golf clubs--particularly the driver and the putter. One method is to drill a 3/8" hole in the butt of the grip (down the shaft), then push a short 1/4" carriage bolt with one or two nuts screwed onto it into the hole. With a little electrical tape wrapped around the nuts (so they won't come loose or rattle), you leave a little space between the nuts and the head of the bolt. Then you lubricate the whole deal with some silicone or WD-40 and shove it into the hole in the grip, which should be just large enough to permit the nuts to pass through but small enough for the rubber to squeeze closed in the space between the head of the bolt and the first nut. Et voila! You can take a permanent marker and "paint" the head of the bolt black, and, because a carriage bolt fits pretty flush to the surface, it'll be almost undetectable at the butt of the club.

Without a gram scale and swingweight scale, you'll have a hard time achieving a precise swingweight, but placing a bolt inside the butt end of the shaft will definitely lighten the swingweight. Those who use this method claim that it allows them to use lighter shafts and maintain better feel for the club in their hands. Haven't tried it myself, but I'm not averse to your trying it....
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

Golfsmith has a little plastic plug that goes into the butt end of the shaft, then you can add weight to that to lower the swing weight. Works well.

World Woods Golf Club - Pine Barrens course
    Quote Originally Posted by funamotoa
    You're kidding right??

Unless you're a very good golfer with a VERY fine sense of feel, you'll never notice the difference.

If you're not kidding, next time you re-grip, cut 1/2" off the butt end of the shaft. That'll do it.

Don't backweight the butt of the shaft. It's an excercise in futility that adds weight to the club while messing up the balance.

Swingweight is a number. Nothing more. If the club feels OK, use it like it is. Like I said above, 1 or 2 points will make little to no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_h
    You're kidding right??

Unless you're a very good golfer with a VERY fine sense of feel, you'll never notice the difference.

If you're not kidding, next time you re-grip, cut 1/2" off the butt end of the shaft. That'll do it.

Don't backweight the butt of the shaft. It's an excercise in futility that adds weight to the club while messing up the balance.

Swingweight is a number. Nothing more. If the club feels OK, use it like it is. Like I said above, 1 or 2 points will make little to no difference.
    no im not kidding, i can feel the difference... thanks for the info.... i guess i could simply just grip down then... thanks

Thread Information