|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

My first big boy driver (my parents put it together)

A quick recap. The start of my second golf season in 2006, my first "real" golf purchase was an 11.5* Cleveland Launcher (r-flex) that I got fitted for at an independently owned golf mart. I have tried replacing it over the years but I never could find the right club. Tired of being a shortknocker, I decided to go for something that was beyond my skill level according to the mainstream golf media. Found a Launcher on eBay for 50 bucks, 9.5* stiff flex. At first it felt a bit boardy, but after a month in the bag it is producing the longest and straightest drives of my "career." My scores are lowering as a result. Anyone else have a specific club that had a big impact on your game?
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    A quick recap. The start of my second golf season in 2006, my first "real" golf purchase was an 11.5* Cleveland Launcher (r-flex) that I got fitted for at an independently owned golf mart. I have tried replacing it over the years but I never could find the right club. Tired of being a shortknocker, I decided to go for something that was beyond my skill level according to the mainstream golf media. Found a Launcher on eBay for 50 bucks, 9.5* stiff flex. At first it felt a bit boardy, but after a month in the bag it is producing the longest and straightest drives of my "career." My scores are lowering as a result. Anyone else have a specific club that had a big impact on your game?
    My breakthrough club was the original Taylormade Pittsburgh Persimmon driver that I bought new in late 1979. Stiff steel shaft in 9*. Prior to that I had played my father's hand-me-down woods that were a mixture of wood-headed woods including the original McGregors with those Thunderbird-looking logos, you know the ones the best pros played in the 50's and 60's-- MT Tourneys or whatever and some Wilsons with laminated wood heads. Anyway, the Taylor metalwood I could hit farther and straighter than anything I'd ever swung. Best of all, there was no whipping to come loose and you didn't need to f*ck with a headcover because the bloody thing was all metal. Its demise came in 1985 when I was playing in a Philadelphia Eagles NFL Alumni charity event and, on one of the back nine par 4's that was the long drive hole, I ripped that Taylor so hard that the head snapped off the shaft in my follow through. The funny thing was that we all saw my ball take off straight and disappear over a slight rise in the center of the fairway. Since I never played the course before, I didn't know that there was a pond dead center where the fairway ended 315 out and my ball must have rolled into it because we never found it. I got it re-shafted for free from the factory but it was never the same and later the face collapsed and I got a free replacement again from the factory but it was nowhere near as good as the original. I'm hoping the 905R I've got sorted out will have the same impact.

I had an old Cleveland 13* three wood with a black X flex shaft whose brand escapes my memory. I bought it out of a bin in Brussels, because I was so frustrated with my long game... I didn't even want to try it first, just bought it on spec for 70 euros used. A bit beat up but not bad.

It was a revelation. I had thought that 13* was too strong and X flex was too much for me. But I never hit so many long, straight fairway woods in my LIFE.

That was in 2003. Since then I've replaced it with the HiBore XLS 13* three wood with the stock Fujikura X flex. This one's even better. three times this year I've hit it over 300 yards (downwind, downhill, dry fairways mind you but still).. I can count on 235+ of carry and generally get 245 or more out of it, well over 250 off tees. And I have total confidence in the accuracy of it.

Never in my whole golfing life have I had this much confidence in a three wood, or in any club. That first X flex Cleveland 13* got me going.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    My breakthrough club was the original Taylormade Pittsburgh Persimmon driver that I bought new in late 1979. Stiff steel shaft in 9*. Prior to that I had played my father's hand-me-down woods that were a mixture of wood-headed woods including the original McGregors with those Thunderbird-looking logos, you know the ones the best pros played in the 50's and 60's-- MT Tourneys or whatever and some Wilsons with laminated wood heads. Anyway, the Taylor metalwood I could hit farther and straighter than anything I'd ever swung. Best of all, there was no whipping to come loose and you didn't need to f*ck with a headcover because the bloody thing was all metal. Its demise came in 1985 when I was playing in a Philadelphia Eagles NFL Alumni charity event and, on one of the back nine par 4's that was the long drive hole, I ripped that Taylor so hard that the head snapped off the shaft in my follow through. The funny thing was that we all saw my ball take off straight and disappear over a slight rise in the center of the fairway. Since I never played the course before, I didn't know that there was a pond dead center where the fairway ended 315 out and my ball must have rolled into it because we never found it. I got it re-shafted for free from the factory but it was never the same and later the face collapsed and I got a free replacement again from the factory but it was nowhere near as good as the original. I'm hoping the 905R I've got sorted out will have the same impact.
    Sounds like a respectable golf tournament, but how incredibly stupid to put a long drive hole on a fairway that is only 315 yards long. I would have to use a 4 iron.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist
    Sounds like a respectable golf tournament, but how incredibly stupid to put a long drive hole on a fairway that is only 315 yards long. I would have to use a 4 iron.
    Those were great events with real Playboy Bunnies as greeters, professional caddies (for those able to walk), great eats and drink and wonderful swag. But this was 1985 and most of the participants were well-healed old guys (like my father) and long retired football players and all those guys were walking wounded with permanently bunged up knees who were lucky to hit a drive 250.

I always remember the GBB 10 degree driver I bought about 10 years ago. I immediately got it reshafted with a Pro Force 75 stiff and it changed my game. I went from a wildly inaccurate sprayer to a straight long bomber almost overnight. It wsan't quite as consistent as bigger headed drivers, but that driver is still responsible for some of the longest drives of my life, including a genuine 300 metre bomb on a flat fairway with little wind. The longest drive of my life was a 330 metre bobmb, but that was on a fairway where there was a dry hard mound and down hill sloping fairway that gives you an extra 40to 50 metres of run if you reach the down slope, so in reality it was more like a 270-280 metre drive.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Bought a pgf putter with a balata face for $50. I kept leaving putts short so i thought, if i get a putter with a real soft face, i'm gonna have to hit putts harder to get them to the hole. Once i got used to seeing the ball actually make it past the hole, putting was fixed! Only downside was the balata face was so soft, the face only lasted for a few years.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    I almost gave up on baggin a 3 wood, after more than I care to count. Long approach shots, off the deck seemed elusive, and very much hit or miss. I have never hit a a easier to hit off the deck 3 wood, than the one I currently bag. I still rarely use it on a tee box, as I prefer a 3 iron. I,m currently cheating at golf, as I carry 15 clubs. I should drop the 4 iron, but they put 15 slots in my bag, I,m fillin the holes. I demoed a r9 3 wood awhile back, it sucked compared to my older cgb max 3 wood 15 degree in stiff flex. I ripped a 250 yard approach on a par 5 a couple weeks ago. Went as far as my drive, on in two. What a fun club.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

I've always had Vokey wedges and thats the one club/brand that will never leave my bag. A lot of golfers like the cleveland series but the feel and performance of the vokey out performs the cleveland by far.
    Driver: TM R9
    3 wood: Cobra S9i
    3 hybrid: Cobra Baffler DWS
    4-uw: Ping i10 steel stiff.
    52* wedge: Vokey SM
    56* wedge: Vokey SM
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

My breakthrough purchase was a dozen Pro V1Xs - I did play with NXT Tours previously, and now cannot believe that I ever did.

Pro V1, or similar from another brand are an absolute must, to not play with good balls is not golf at all.

Anyone else have a specific club that had a big impact on your game?
    My first HiBore Hybrid from Cleveland. 19*. Gave me the real option from long distance on par5 and gave me options on short/tight 4s.

I have since added the 16* HiBore.

They are now both shafted with steel driver shafts and are still in the bag. Feel great and perform better!

Quote Originally Posted by lm0159
    My breakthrough purchase was a dozen Pro V1Xs - I did play with NXT Tours previously, and now cannot believe that I ever did.

Pro V1, or similar from another brand are an absolute must, to not play with good balls is not golf at all.
    I agree. Most golf technology is rubbish, but there's no doubt that a premium ball makes a difference. The golf rags say that hackers will not benefit from a premium ball, I disagree. It's the only piece of technology that they haven't suggested the hacker invest in, and it's the one they should. Granted, not if you shoot in the 120s and lose 4 sleeves per round. I'm sure the OEMs have done enough research that show that there's no chance of a hack or a cheapskate paying 4 bucks a ball, so they serve us their crappy NXTs so we won't buy pinnacles.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

I agree. Most golf technology is rubbish, but there's no doubt that a premium ball makes a difference. The golf rags say that hackers will not benefit from a premium ball, I disagree. It's the only piece of technology that they haven't suggested the hacker invest in, and it's the one they should. Granted, not if you shoot in the 120s and lose 4 sleeves per round. I'm sure the OEMs have done enough research that show that there's no chance of a hack or a cheapskate paying 4 bucks a ball, so they serve us their crappy NXTs so we won't buy pinnacles.
    There are different opinions out there for sure. In the 2010 Golf Digest Hot List for balls, 1 guy said premium is the way to go. In another test, players were given balls that had the markings blacked out or something. Guys were basically shooting the same scores if I remember correctly with premium and non premium. I have the magazine at home so I am going off (limited) memory.

Ive seen great golfers play rocks and Ive seen horrible golfers tote ProV1.....

Im with you though - I think it makes a difference - especially from the 100yd and in game.
    Last edited by Lord Helmet; 08-05-2010 at 07:56 AM.

I've had a few "aha" moments in my club selection days, and they have turned me from a club ho into a club hoarder (of my current clubs)

Epon EMB driver combined with Axiv-X shaft (that's the model name, not the flex!!)
    By far the most forgiving, straightest driver I've ever had. It's about as long as a Golf Gear Tsunami I had several years ago that was really long, but it is so much easier to control the Epon

Alpha Rx LowPro hybrids. I'd been looking for an easy to hit, solid feeling, forgiving, accurate hybrid for a long time, and this one fits the bill. I had to send one head back because it had a closed face, but once I got one with a neutral face angle, it has worked like a charm

Scratch AR-1 / EZ-1 mixed set irons; probably only the Mizuno MP-60's have felt better, but these are the most accurate and consistent irons I've ever had.

Scratch wedges, with sole grinds to match my swing style. People can mock, ridicule, flame, and say whatever they want, but they give me the best results, and are easier to hit accurately than any others I've had

Heavy Putter. Some people love them; some hate them. The B1 center shafted head matches well with my pendular stroke. I'd been through several putters in several years before I found this one a few years ago.

All of these clubs work great for me, but everybody is different, and what works for me might not work for you.

I haven't bought a new club in well over a year, which is related to my satisfaction level, not the economic conditions of the country. In fact, I feel deeply concerned, wondering if my failure to continue my club-hoing habits has in any way contributed to the current recession........
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Scratch wedges, with sole grinds to match my swing style. People can mock, ridicule, flame, and say whatever they want, but they give me the best results, and are easier to hit accurately than any others I've had
    Did you get fitted or did you fill out the questions online and it spit out a club? Just wondering.....

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I've had a few "aha" moments in my club selection days, and they have turned me from a club ho into a club hoarder (of my current clubs)

Epon EMB driver combined with Axiv-X shaft (that's the model name, not the flex!!)
    By far the most forgiving, straightest driver I've ever had. It's about as long as a Golf Gear Tsunami I had several years ago that was really long, but it is so much easier to control the Epon

Alpha Rx LowPro hybrids. I'd been looking for an easy to hit, solid feeling, forgiving, accurate hybrid for a long time, and this one fits the bill. I had to send one head back because it had a closed face, but once I got one with a neutral face angle, it has worked like a charm

Scratch AR-1 / EZ-1 mixed set irons; probably only the Mizuno MP-60's have felt better, but these are the most accurate and consistent irons I've ever had.

Heavy Putter. Some people love them; some hate them. The B1 center shafted head matches well with my pendular stroke. I'd been through several putters in several years before I found this one a few years ago.

All of these clubs work great for me, but everybody is different, and what works for me might not work for you.

I haven't bought a new club in well over a year, which is related to my satisfaction level, not the economic conditions of the country. In fact, I feel deeply concerned, wondering if my failure to continue my club-hoing habits has in any way contributed to the current recession........
    I loved the heavy putter for awhile, but I somehow developed some feel for a short time and sold it. I still think it's the answer for the yips, but the putter I have now (Ebay no-name ripoff of 2-ball design) tracks very well in my hands and does not deviate from line as much as lower weight putters usually do for me. My hands have minds of their own. But the secret of this putter is a combination of a GIGANTIC flat topped grip that takes away wrist hinge action AND the fact that it's bent almost vertically so I can sort of dangle it and rotate my shoulders to make the swing. Normal putters with flatter lies are just useless for me, I cannot translate a flatter lie into a straight stroke.

I putt almost from my shoetips and feel the putter dangling in my hands like a clock pendulum. That's about the only hope I have of getting it onto the right line.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

no..........

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins
    I loved the heavy putter for awhile, but I somehow developed some feel for a short time and sold it. I still think it's the answer for the yips, but the putter I have now (Ebay no-name ripoff of 2-ball design) tracks very well in my hands and does not deviate from line as much as lower weight putters usually do for me. My hands have minds of their own. But the secret of this putter is a combination of a GIGANTIC flat topped grip that takes away wrist hinge action AND the fact that it's bent almost vertically so I can sort of dangle it and rotate my shoulders to make the swing. Normal putters with flatter lies are just useless for me, I cannot translate a flatter lie into a straight stroke.

I putt almost from my shoetips and feel the putter dangling in my hands like a clock pendulum. That's about the only hope I have of getting it onto the right line.
    I dabbled with a Heavy a while back when I was really struggling on the greens. The extra weight really allowed me to get my stroke back, and now the Bettinardi is back. I think that the Heavy is a great putter to get as a practice putter as it really trains you to hit a pendulem stroke and takes your hands and wrists out of the stroke. I'll keep it as a back up and still take it to the practice green if I feel my stroke is getting a little wristy. Personally I feel they lack the touch and feel to use on the course, but as a training aid they are awesome. I can certainly understand why some guys use them on the course, but for me it's the perfect practice putter.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    Did you get fitted or did you fill out the questions online and it spit out a club? Just wondering.....
    Both.
    Initially, I bought one wedge after filling out the online questionaire, followed up with some conversations with the people at Scratch. The wedge allowed me to make shots I hadn't been able to do consistently before. I later added additional wedges, based on the same course/swing criteria, and they have worked in my hands better than the Clevelands, Vokeys, Mizunos, Feel, and Zodia wedges I had previously tried.

When it came to getting the iron set, they sent me some demo clubs to try, with different clubhead and shaft combinations. I could do my own demo at my leisure, then returned the demos. I ended up with a mixed set of long irons of the EZ-1 more perimeter weighted design, and the shorter irons through pitching wedge with the muscle-cavity AR-1.

I have found them knowledgeable, helpful, and they obviously want a happy buyer, so they go out of their way to make sure you get what they feel will give you the best results.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Thread Information