|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Caring For Forged Clubs.

Guys,

As some of you are aware I recently decided to purchase a set of Mizuno MP-30 irons, which I love. I've just read on the Mizuno website that in order to keep them in tip top condition and to prevent rust (which is a serious problem with all the rain here in Ireland), that I should oil them.

Now I'm just wondering what kind of oil I should use for this and how exactly should I apply it. Do I need to rub it in fully or should I sort of let it soak into the clubhead etc???

Also should I be doing the same with my wedges. The are Cleveland TA 588s with the gunmetal finish. If I should be oiling them should I use the same oil as above or special gun oil.

I've absolutely no idea about this so all information would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Noley
    Guys,

As some of you are aware I recently decided to purchase a set of Mizuno MP-30 irons, which I love. I've just read on the Mizuno website that in order to keep them in tip top condition and to prevent rust (which is a serious problem with all the rain here in Ireland), that I should oil them.

Now I'm just wondering what kind of oil I should use for this and how exactly should I apply it. Do I need to rub it in fully or should I sort of let it soak into the clubhead etc???

Also should I be doing the same with my wedges. The are Cleveland TA 588s with the gunmetal finish. If I should be oiling them should I use the same oil as above or special gun oil.

I've absolutely no idea about this so all information would be greatly appreciated.
    Noley

A quick light spray of WD-40 should do the trick. Only need to do it every now and then. Don't over-oil them.

IG
    You know me you know the score. Keep them satisfied in bed and they wont bother your golf - wise words from The Master, Feb. '05

Cheers dude, that's all I need to know.

Either that or Valvoline SAE 10-40........

Seriously, though, (and I know this may start one of those endless debates) with forged irons I'd strongly consider head covers to use during rounds and while driving to and from the course. Forged irons are more easily dinged by clanging clubs together than cast clubs. Clean and dry them after the round, and leave the covers off when you're not using them if you're in a humid environment. If you don't mind minor dings and scratches on your new beauties, then don't bother with club covers. But if you are interested in the cosmetics, the Club Glove iron covers work great.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Either that or Valvoline SAE 10-40........

Seriously, though, (and I know this may start one of those endless debates) with forged irons I'd strongly consider head covers to use during rounds and while driving to and from the course. Forged irons are more easily dinged by clanging clubs together than cast clubs. Clean and dry them after the round, and leave the covers off when you're not using them if you're in a humid environment. If you don't mind minor dings and scratches on your new beauties, then don't bother with club covers. But if you are interested in the cosmetics, the Club Glove iron covers work great.

I've already started the cleaning and drying process after every round, I'm really looking after these puppies. I hear you on the iron covers too, I've only had them for a few weeks and already I've got litle bag dings on my 6 and 8 irons. As long as I don't take a huge chunk out of one of them on the course with a stone or something I'll be happy enough. They are so pretty that if I was to really damage one of them I think it would be a very sad day in my life!

I play the Mizuno MP-33's. First couple of weeks I pleyed with head covers, but it made me crazy, slower play, lost a cover once.
    So I decided to take them of after the ride to the course. After a while I started to not use them anymore. From normal play, you will get straches on the sole, straches on the face from sand on the ball etc.
    I only use the head covers when flying cause the airport just throws the bag in the plane.

I'm still surprised how shiny the Mizuno's look after nearly 3 years. Have to say that after every shot the baby gets a rub with the towel.
    Still can use them as a mirror when shaving in the morning.

So don't worry about your clubs, you don't have to use the head covers in order to keep them shiny!
    "I'll always remember the day I broke ninety. I had a few beers in the clubhouse and was so excited I forgot to play the back nine."

Driver: Nak NP-1 9.5* Graphite Design Tour AD I-65 stiff
    3-wood: Alpha V5 15* Fujikura Rombax 7W06 stiff
    Irons: Miura Tournament Blades i2-PW TT DG S300
    Wedges: Mizuno MP-R 52* and 56* True Temper S300
    Putter: Scotty Cameron American Classic VII Napa Custom
    Ball: Taylormade TP red LDP

Caring For Forged Clubs

Noley,
    I would use a high quality gun/firearm oil such as Otters etc.I use a rag to apply ,waiting about a minute then wipping off.I have use gun oil for years on my
    clubs including the shafts and have not had a problem.Remember to wipe them
    down after playing and to apply a light coat of oil after a few rounds.WD-40 contains
    kerosine and the US Military has recommended not to use on metals.Motor Oils
    contain acids that may effect the metal.
    mgh52

Caring For Forged Clubs

Noley,
    I almost forgot another trick to club care! I was told to use car wax on graphite shafts, the soles and crowns of drivers and woods.Blemishes can be removed by a lite rubbing compound then rewaxing.A 3m Scotchpad and lite buffing will clean club faces.
    mgh52

Thanks for that.

A guy at my club said to me on Saturday that the best thing he knew for cleaning clubs was to leave them soaking in Coca-Cola for a couple of hours. I was worried this could eat completely through the gunmetal finish on my wedges, let alone what it'd do to the forged Mizunos. Anybody else ever head of this, and would it damage the wedges or am I being over protective?

Quote Originally Posted by Noley
    Thanks for that.

A guy at my club said to me on Saturday that the best thing he knew for cleaning clubs was to leave them soaking in Coca-Cola for a couple of hours. I was worried this could eat completely through the gunmetal finish on my wedges, let alone what it'd do to the forged Mizunos. Anybody else ever head of this, and would it damage the wedges or am I being over protective?
    I've heard the recommendation to soak clubs in Coca Cola as a method to deliberately get wedges to rust. I think I'd be a little cautious about that piece of advice.

Only ever heard the soaking in coke advice in relation to Beryllium Copper it strips off the patina and restores them to their original shiny metal finish I wouldn’t go soaking any thing else in coke its pretty corrosive

Caring For Forged Clubs

Noley,
    Forget the Coke!!! I have used it in a pinch to free rusted parts and to clean battery terminals!!You may want to remember another trick about rust by removing it
    with vinegar and a piece of aluminum foil.Pour the vinegar on the rusted area and rub
    the area with the foil then wipe off.This is a old car restorer trick.

As for your gun metal finish wedges you can use some gun oil and a pad
    of 000 or lighter steel wool to buff them.I have refinished about a dozen golf
    partners wedges with this and you can reblue them with a kit from a sporting
    good store.Be warned to keep the Mizunos at a safe distance from any such
    project as it is an acid based product and would take many pints to explain
    that thumb print on the trusty 7 iron.

Good Luck
    mgh52

true, My MP-32's have dings on them because I'm a walker and every time I walk I hear clink-clank-clunk...I would buy headcovers but that's like buying pink book covers for a text book. ???
    and plus its humid here all the time and they would rust like a mother.
    I do clean them before every round and WD-40 them about every 2 months.
    No rust has come up yet so I guess I'm doing something right.

I do have some dings but nothing serious.

Most of them are from taking divots and hitting a rock or something. I noticed there are more in my PW-7 iron than my 6-3irons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for all the advice once again guys. Actually I cleaned them last night. I used some washing up liquid and a soft bristled nail brush to clean the heads and the grooves. Then I dried them with a soft towel and WD-40'd them.

Must be the best cared for clubs in Ireland

My MP-32s arrive tomorrow, think ill have to get headcovers for them otherwise i can see them dieing within months. Whats the best way to clean my Cleveland CG10 wedges? WD40 aswell?

Quote Originally Posted by Beardsley
    My MP-32s arrive tomorrow, think ill have to get headcovers for them otherwise i can see them dieing within months. Whats the best way to clean my Cleveland CG10 wedges? WD40 aswell?
    If you get head covers (and I think it is a great idea with forged clubs), I've had the best experience with the ClubGlove iron covers. They actually stay on. Make sure you get the appropriate size, though. They come in regular and in oversize, so I'd guess you'd just need the regular size for the MP-32's. If you live in a humid climate, you probably won't want to leave them on all the time, though; just for transporting them in your car and on the course, when they'll be subject to jostling. Otherwise, rust can be a problem if there is a lot of humidity. I live in Southern California, basically an irrigated desert, so rust has never been a source of concern to me.

I live in the north east of England its always cold and wet and windy.

Anybody know if u can get Club Grove iron covers in the uk?

i've got nike pro combos which are also forged and my PW gets a bit of rust on it - sort of on the groove. it just scrapes off though and looks good as new!?! any thoughts on this? should i oil my clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Hoskin
    Noley,
    I would use a high quality gun/firearm oil such as Otters etc.I use a rag to apply ,waiting about a minute then wipping off.I have use gun oil for years on my
    clubs including the shafts and have not had a problem.Remember to wipe them
    down after playing and to apply a light coat of oil after a few rounds.WD-40 contains
    kerosine and the US Military has recommended not to use on metals.Motor Oils
    contain acids that may effect the metal.
    Where did you get your info on WD-40? It is flawed.

According to the WD-40 website (http://www.wd40.com):

"While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents."

Also:

"What about using WD-40 on my sports equipment?
    WD-40 is safe and effective to use on all types of sporting goods. Use WD-40 on your bike to clean, degrease and lubricate your chain, derailleur, gears, cogs, and moving parts. It will help remove stickers. Use WD-40 to clean and protect your gun. It will prevent corrosion and it won't damage bluing. Spray it on dirt bikes to protect parts and prevent mud from sticking. Use it on watercraft to protect metal surfaces from corrosion and to drive out moisture. WD-40 is also great for cleaning golf clubs and preventing rust on hockey skate blades."

And this is from Mizuno FAQ (http://www.mizunousa.com/faqs.nsf/faq01?OpenView&&Golf):

"My forged irons have rust showing up on the face of the club. Is this normal?

Yes, rust can happen. Forged heads are made of a mild carbon steel that is chrome plated. Once you start hitting balls you scratch the surface of the chrome which can eventually expose the raw steel to moisture and chemicals that can cause rust to form. The best way to minimize rust is to keep the irons dry at all times, wipe them after every shot and at the end of the round with a dry cloth. When cleaning use only a NYLON brush (no metal) and dry them with a dry towel. If you get some rust forming, spray the surface with WD-40 and clean with a nylon brush or Scotchbrite pad and wipe them clean with a dry cloth. Some high nitrogen fertilizers, sandy soil conditions and water with a high iron content can accelerate the production of rust. The use of iron head covers is not recommended as they trap moisture and accelerate the production of rust."

'nuff said.
    Last edited by maveric; 03-31-2005 at 07:05 AM.
    [B][COLOR=Blue][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1]http://grouchygolf.blogspot.com/ [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

Caring For Forged Clubs

GGB,
    Kudos to your research and WD-40 plug.I'am 53 years young and have used WD-40 since it's intro to the public.I have three gallons of it in my garage along with cars,dirt bikes,sportbikes and lawnmowers.I have used it on about everything for over 30 years and know what to use it on and NOT! Mizuno says use it, then use it!.They back their
    product and care advice.
    mgh52

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I've heard the recommendation to soak clubs in Coca Cola as a method to deliberately get wedges to rust. I think I'd be a little cautious about that piece of advice.

This method for rusting wedges works fantastic. Leave a wedge soaked in coke for 2 hours and it will clean the first layer of sheen off the club. Then set the club overnight and it will create a wonderful look to the club.

I've done it with all my wedges, they all look fantastic. I can't stress enough how amazed I was after trying this about 4 years ago. Every wedge in my bag has gone through this with nothing but A+ results.

Honestly, if you used a 5% hydrochloric acid solution, you'd get the same effect, it would just take longer.

Don't knock it til you've tried it. ;) Just remember to use the cheap cola, why waste money?

R35
    "35 on the front, 50 on the back....I love this game."

Olde Sycamore Golf Plantation - Charlotte, NC
    I own several sets of forged clubs. I play a set of 1986-91 Titleist Tour Model irons and I clean then each time I play a round. I also make very sure they are dried off and I try each time I play them not to hit them off "rocky" lies that will damage the chrome. I typically won't use them on "cow pasture" or "dog track" courses either. I also have iron covers for each forged set that I own which reduces bag rash too.

Thread Information