|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Driving...Trajectory & Distance

When driving into the wind is it a better option to go low off the tee as wind resistance would be more at a height. And does a low trajectory cut into your distance?

I am not sure but wouldn't lower trajectory drives have more roll?

Also some tips on how to hit drives with lower trajectory? No Idea, I have hit them only by mistake. Most of my drives have a decent high trajectory. Tips appreciated as always.

Thanks
    [FONT=Arial]Girish Dayalan[/FONT]

There are a number of methods to accomplish lower trajectory, but which one to use depends upon the player's skill, tendencies, equipment, and so forth. Usually teeing the ball lower helps, unless you adopt a steeper angle of attack and impart a lot of spin to the ball. Also, playing the ball a little farther toward the rear foot (just an inch or so) can help, as does a flatter swing plane and more of a sweeping, "picking" motion through the ball. When I want to be sure not to drive the ball too high, I like to "hover" the club behind the ball rather than grounding it at address. This helps me to produce a swing that is flatter at the bottom and reaching past the ball on a level plane rather than swinging upward through the ball. Setting your shoulders more level (rather than having a pronounced "droop" in your right shoulder) also helps to create a more level swing.

Practice a swing that is more around your body than up and down, then SMOOOOTH it through the ball, and you should get a shot that's no more than half the height of your normal tee shot, and rolling pretty well on touch-down.

As to your original question, I'm wavering a little on thinking that it's best to try for a markedly lower shot into the wind. Yes, if the wind is 30 mph or more, a "normal" tee shot will get gobbled up. But ultra-low tee shots can't always be counted on to roll very far--if at all--and dramatically altering your swing may result in a snap hook into a very bad spot. What you certainly don't want to do is to swing very hard with a steep downward motion. The resulting shot will have so much backspin that it's likely to land behind you when launched into a sizeable wind. Very light grip pressure and a smooth swing will tend to produce a shot that--if not lower than a gopher's knees--at least will carry a fair distance before coming to ground and is more likely to split the fairway than land two fairways over.
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

Practice a swing that is more around your body than up and down, then SMOOOOTH it through the ball, and you should get a shot that's no more than half the height of your normal tee shot, and rolling pretty well on touch-down.
    jc@bg hit the nail on the head. I have a tendency on pull hooking when I do this so I just aim more right. Takes some practice but the ball is a real bullet through the wind.
    Usually the shot that got you into trouble is gonna get you out.

Thanks a lot jc.....will try on the range next time around.
    [FONT=Arial]Girish Dayalan[/FONT]

Practice makes something....I forget what. But seriously, it's fun to try hitting different kinds of shots, and all kinds of practice--if you concentrate enough to see some results but don't beat yourself up about it--improves your skills and your feel for the clubs. Go for it.
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

Thread Information