|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

13 degree driver???

Thinking on a 13 degree Nike Ignite driver....don't know my swing speed..thoughts on such a lofted driver? I am a 47 year old duffer who has trouble getting loft on my drives.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMocs
    Thinking on a 13 degree Nike Ignite driver....don't know my swing speed..thoughts on such a lofted driver? I am a 47 year old duffer who has trouble getting loft on my drives.
    That seems a little high. Never even heard of a 13 degree driver. Maybe find an 11 or 12? Or tee it up higher maybe.
    "Always repair your divot."

They call it the Unlucky 13 Ignite. Hope its not that for you.

I would recommend such a high a loft only if most of your tee shots keep really low or you want an abnormally high tee shot. But if you are near a custom fitting system, get it done.
    Last edited by WhoElseButMe; 03-17-2005 at 07:10 AM.
    [FONT=Arial]Girish Dayalan[/FONT]

I slightly disagree with some of the other opinions expressed. 13, 14, and even 16 degree drivers now are fairly commonplace, considering the consensus that a 15-17 degree launch angle is optimal for players with swing speeds less than 95 mph. High launch and low spin is the best combination for getting maximum carry distance with your driver, and only a very upright swing plane is likely to be consistently accurate if your angle of attack is 4 to 6 degrees upward. Try this experiment sometime and you'll see what I mean. Position yourself on an upslope of several degrees, tee up several balls, and hit driver shots toward a specific target. There are a lot of different golf swings, so anything is possible, but most golfers are more accurate with a lower angle of attack than a significantly upward angle.

If you use a high-lofted driver such as 13 or 14 degrees, pair it with a shaft of medium or firm tip, and your good shots will fly high and straight without the "ballooning" that tip-soft shafts tend to produce through excessive spin.
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

Ping even makes a 15.5 degree 400cc G2 EZ head for slower swings.
    Usually the shot that got you into trouble is gonna get you out.

13* is fine. The problem today that people don't understand is that if you don't swing at about 110mph or more you shouldn't be under 10 degrees. Hell, even if you do swing that fast you may need 10* or more. Golf balls spin less now and more loft on a driver does nothing but help. MANY tour pros are playing much more loft than they used to. So, yeah, if you're a 47 year old duffer I'd go for it. Also keep in mind shaft flex and such will also have a bearing on your trajectory. Or, do what many "duffers" should...use a 3-wood instead. That's right, suck up the ego and use a 3-wood. Good luck with your new Ignite. They're a solid club.

Have you tried moving the ball around in you stance? Moving the ball up in your stance might help promote some ball flight. That seemed to help me.

Wouldn't a 13 degree driver pretty much be a 2 wood? As College said above, why not try using your 3 wood off the tee. This would free up a slot in your bag for an extra wedge.

You don't get that big for giving head with a 3 wood for more consistent drives. My swing floats around 120 to 125 and I hit a 10* degree driver but I also have a steeper swing path. Drivers are all about the launch monitor nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobwedge
    You don't get that big for giving head with a 3 wood .
    How big is one supposed to get after giving head with a 3 wood?! lol
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

LOL typo!

Hey GolfMocs,

There's nothing wrong with a 13* driver.

The optimum launch angle is between 12 and 14*. If you do not achieve it with your current driver relative to your swing speed, go with the 13* driver.

If you do not know what your clubhead speed is, go to a club fitter and you can easily find out . If your clubhead speed is not high, choose a shaft that fits your swing speed and go with the 13* driver.

If you are a low ball hitter, move the ball position forward in your stance and go with the 13* driver.

A friend of mine whose a Clubmaker/Teaching Professional is a short hitting but deadly accurate low ball hitter (he hates it when I call him a short hitter). He has a clubhead speed between 103 and 105 mph and can carry his driver about 255 yds. Last summer, he was playing a 10.5* Maltby CT250 driver with a Grafalloy Blue Pro Launch regular flex shaft. This summer he will be playing a 12* Maltby CT250 Flight Control driver with a Grafalloy Prototype Comp NT regular flex shaft. He indicated that with this driver-shaft combination, he expects to see an additional 10-15 yards of carry by way of increased loft and the latest shaft technology.

With that said, I say get fitted first and don't be afraid to go with the 13* driver if that's what you need.

while watching the tourny today the announcer was talking about his 13* degree driver and said he loves it. other than that I have had no experience with them but if it's sidespin that's your problem, get it and try.

Thread Information