|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Which one of these package sets should I choose for my golf start?

Hello

I am starting to play golf in a club this weekend. Have played a little pay and play previously.

I have decided to buy a beginners set, and have found these 5 wilson package sets, in the same price range.

Wilson X31
    Wilson 1200 XCG
    Wilson CGi Ultra
    Wilson 1200 MOI
    Wilson Draw RX

1. Can you tell me which of these sets would be best, of what the difference is?
    2. Are they all alike, and would it for a newbie like me, just be easier to pick out the "coolest bag", because I won't feel a difference?
    3. I am 184 cm tall, I guess i have no problem buying a set with standard length.?

I can put in links to all the sets, but all the sets can of course be googled or found on pricerunner.co.uk. If you need the links, let me know and I will find them.

Thanks in advance

To question 1 and 2, they are not all the same but I would go for set #1 because it is the only one without an acronym or adjective in its name. Anytime I've used equipment with "MOI", "DRAW", "RX" or "Ultra" in its name, it has been an unrewarding experience. As far as your height, there are other factors to consider. Like your build, weight, arm lenth, and leg length. I am roughly your height but I am built thick with longish arms and short legs commonly referred to as "knuckle-dragger". Therefore, I can use clubs with shorter shafts quite well. Or longer shafts with flatter lies. Depends on the club. Those Wilsons are likely to be made of cheaper cast steel so they would likely not take well to attempts to adjust them. If you live in an area with shops that sell used golfing equipment, you may be better off finding one with a kindly proprietor who will fit you to a set that is cheaper than the new kit. Because if you find out the your new Wilson purchase is not for you, entry level golf gear's resale value approaches absolute zero. If you buy some used stuff, take a few lessons, and come to enjoy it while improving, you can trade up your used gear for better clubs. Start out with some decent used forged irons and learn to hit them properly. That's yer ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    To question 1 and 2, they are not all the same but I would go for set #1 because it is the only one without an acronym or adjective in its name. Anytime I've used equipment with "MOI", "DRAW", "RX" or "Ultra" in its name, it has been an unrewarding experience. As far as your height, there are other factors to consider. Like your build, weight, arm lenth, and leg length. I am roughly your height but I am built thick with longish arms and short legs commonly referred to as "knuckle-dragger". Therefore, I can use clubs with shorter shafts quite well. Or longer shafts with flatter lies. Depends on the club. Those Wilsons are likely to be made of cheaper cast steel so they would likely not take well to attempts to adjust them. If you live in an area with shops that sell used golfing equipment, you may be better off finding one with a kindly proprietor who will fit you to a set that is cheaper than the new kit. Because if you find out the your new Wilson purchase is not for you, entry level golf gear's resale value approaches absolute zero. If you buy some used stuff, take a few lessons, and come to enjoy it while improving, you can trade up your used gear for better clubs. Start out with some decent used forged irons and learn to hit them properly. That's yer ticket.
    Very good advise. My only slight point of difference is that the irons do not HAVE to be forged. There are plenty of good cast irons out there (older models) that are not cheap shovels. Also the faces on cast irons show less wear with use so re-sale on a 3rd hand set can still be ok.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I suggested forged because in the USA used sets can be much cheaper and in better condition than used cast irons plus forgings are softer in feel that might appeal to a beginner (or a veteran).

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer
    Very good advise. My only slight point of difference is that the irons do not HAVE to be forged. There are plenty of good cast irons out there (older models) that are not cheap shovels. Also the faces on cast irons show less wear with use so re-sale on a 3rd hand set can still be ok.
    I really think you are slipping, OP . . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Thread Information