|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Launch Angle

Launch Angle

Is there any reason that my balls go up and down like a U shape when i hit my irons. I hit the 7 iron around 155, but they all go in a U shape, but i notice my friend and other peoples go up like an arch and come down like a U?
    Thanks

That's nothin. My balls go up like an O and down like a P.

i think you're balloning your ball and i think a reason for this is you are possibly hitting it fat - turf before ball.

Assuming that your swing is fine, check your ball position in your setup. Try setting the ball in the middle of your stance and gradually move it forward to achieve your desired trajectory.

i dont think i catch it fat, i catch normal sized divots i think
    nothing really with 3-4 iron, a lil shallow ones with 5-6, and normal sized for rest of clubs
    can my weight transfer be causing the ballooing of balls?

U-flight

I find I tend to get that type of a ball flight if I unload my wrists too early in the contact. When I pull through and snap the wrists a bit later my flights are a bit lower and longer.

oh thanks
    but i dont really feel a wrist snap through my swing it kind of just levels it self out at the ball? could an early release be causing this?
    and also with iron shots sould i turn my hips to the left (im right handed) or should i push them forward?

U-flight

Your hips question...do you mean through impact or at address...my stance is slightly open at address (right foot set up right of target...I'm a lefty), and I rotate through with my swing so that my belt-buckle points at the target on my follow-through. Shifting your hips forward will probably mess around with your balance, which will result in inconsistent contact. Also (and I am definitley no expert), putting too much weight on your forward foot will tend to cause a higher ball flight. As I said, for me the difference comes when I change my impact. If I make more of a pull through motion at impact I get a nicer trajectory, but I have a wierd swing anyway (I only go about shoulder-height in my back swing to get more control and better balance...I get plenty power from there down).

oh, i meant on the down swing, do you turn my hips or push them toward my target?

I reckon the shafts in your irons might be too stiff for you. Its spin that will give you the arching trajectory you are after. If your shafts are too stiff you'll lose spin - even if you manage to launch it high through some compensation. If the feel of your shots is a bit "boardy" rather than sweet and snappy then this could be your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by swanny241069
    I reckon the shafts in your irons might be too stiff for you. Its spin that will give you the arching trajectory you are after. If your shafts are too stiff you'll lose spin - even if you manage to launch it high through some compensation. If the feel of your shots is a bit "boardy" rather than sweet and snappy then this could be your problem.
    Just to elaborate a little more, a softer tip will also have the effect of improving your ballflight. For example, if you're currently playing Dynamic Gold R300 you would see a difference in moving to a Dynalite R flex.

Good luck.

right now im using graphite shafts, and i feel theyre not stiff enough for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bhangra
    i dont think i catch it fat, i catch normal sized divots i think
    nothing really with 3-4 iron, a lil shallow ones with 5-6, and normal sized for rest of clubs
    can my weight transfer be causing the ballooing of balls?
    a fat shot is when you catch the turf first then the ball. a BIG fat shot will result in a lot of distance lost but a slight fat shot tends to help "balloon" the shot...

Wink

I had a friend with the same problem. His shafters were not stiff enough. So the distinces on his longer Irons were all bunched up like u describe.They all went supr high 4 long Irons. Anyway He went to a stiffer shaft which I recommended 4 about 2 years and now everything is cool.

Good luck
    Jordoo

Well you sure got a lot of conflicting advice there Captain, so heres some more.
    My understanding is that a softer shaft will promote a higher ball flight provided the kick point remains about equal.
    If you feel happy with your swing and are getting good results why don't you play around with some different shafts either ask friends if you can borrow a couple to take up the range or use the demo irons at the range. If you are having other problems book a lesson and have a pro look at your swing it might be that the high ball flight is caused by a flaw in set up or swing.
    Dynamic Golds are designed to hit a lowish trajectory and dynalights are intended to help the low ball hitter get height. If those graphite shafts came in a beginners set ill bet they have a low kick point and a soft tip to get the ball up as quickly as possible. The El-70 by True temper is a nice graphite equivalent to the Dynamic Gold which you might like to try.
    As for your question about hip turn the advice used to be to press the hips towards the target at the start of the swing but then during the eighties people like Ledbetter changed popular opinion and turning the hips to the left (for the right hander) has become popular wisdom

You mentioned weight shift. If you "hang back" (your weight rebounds to the right side for a righty after or through impact), chances are that a significant number of your shots will go high, not terrifically far, and come almost straight down at the end of flight. Depending upon your hand-eye coordination, hanging back on the right side also causes occasional or frequent topspin shots.
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

thanks guys
    but i think from what ive read, the problems are that my shafts are to flexy and i should try a later release point

Thread Information