|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

question about wide soled irons???

anyone have problems hitting wide soled irons, such as the ping G2's...my previous set was wilson deep reds...and for the most part i hit them decent...bought the pings and thought my game would improve...but its only gotten worse...any suggestions

wide soles are actually meant to help players, and prevent amateurs from catching it fat, but even though they're made for amateurs such as me, i prefer using thin soled irons.
    Its all about opinion, the G2s also may have more offset than your wilson deep reds.
    i hope that helps

I demoed some CB...and i would chunk them...i'm used to blades...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by kirksey74
    I demoed some CB...and i would chunk them...i'm used to blades...
    Do you find the MP-32's a little wider and larger than some baldes ie Hogans, Titleist etc.... I had never seen a set up close until last weekend, and that was the first thing I noticed about them. I have hit the Hogans and Macgegors and I think both were a little smaller than the Mizunos.

I used to play with very thin soled irons - some Knight Golf Copper Tungsten BS which now look like blades compared to my Nike CPR. I guess the wide soles provide a greater cavity in the back too, They definetly easier to hit. If you've got new clubs the only thing you need is some confidence with them before shunning them. Hit 100 balls and then see.

BTW I am sorry to say this but Ping G2 is a piece of **** for the price.
    [FONT=Arial]Girish Dayalan[/FONT]

anyone got any suggestions for a new set...the pings are going back...gonna get something a little cheaper and buy a few other golf related items...ie new shoes...so what is all out there for clubs in between a blade and the wider soled irons like the G2's...thanks fellas...

Good call on that though many won't agree. There are some die hard ping fans here. Alteast you have the option. If I ever try to trade it here, I'd probably get the cost of the metal on the shafts back.

Anyway, don't wide soles per se. Perimeter weighted clubs or cavity backs can have wide soles or not. Blades are a totally different story. Their reward/penalize ration is very high.

I use nike CPR irons and they are excellent. If I don't hit the green in regulation, I am really pissed. But they again have wide soles. The callaway erc have thinner soles but they don't really come cheap at about $750. If you need game improvement irons though get the slingshots. Try them, can't hit a false shot with them. My friend just bought a set and every time he plays with me, I am always heading for his bag, rather than mine.
    [FONT=Arial]Girish Dayalan[/FONT]

Big Bertha 04 irons.... grrrrrrrr...... spent lots of money.......... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............. huge sloe.................. grrrrrrrrr............ hitting less yardage...........

that is because callaway is for women, real men hit clubs with soles less than 3 inches wide! JK!

I have Callaway Big Bertha 04's and the big sole doesn't bother me much.

Unhappy

Big wide soles

HHHMMMMMMM...........

Yuck not 4 me

Actually can't stand them but lots of people hit them really well

lol

Bounce angle on Ping clubs are HUGE.
    9 iron bounce angles:
    i3 -12 degrees
    g2 - 11 degrees
    mx-17 - 3 degrees
    mx 23 - 6 degrees.
    etc.
    Hold my Beer. I'm going to hit a high fade over that tree....

Won't you lose a ton of money trading in? I think id persevere with them for at least a couple of months and see if things get better I wish id taken my own advice with a set of Eye2 I had for just a couple of weeks a year or two ago I hit them great initially then every thing went wrong I think I started setting up very badly and of course its hard to get back to square from a bad set up its partly a problem I have, but the wry necks on the ping didn't help if id kept them I'm sure id of gotten used to it. I think I'm right in saying the G2's have the same curve between hozzal and head.
    If you?re sure you want to change try the Callaway Pro series big cavity back forgiveness with a thinner top line thinner sole less off set and less bounce.

I was waiting to buy my i3+ irons because I knew the G2's were only a few weeks away. The G2's came out and I hit a demo. They are clunky!!!!!!! One of my best friends who was also waiting on them, loved them and plays them still today.

I went with the i3+ much cleaner look, feel, and play then the G2's. Thin top line, thin sole, but the forgivness better then the G2 and this crazy thing called feedback that Ping left out of the G2. Obviously this is personal preference as is every club, Ping G2's were the #1 selling new iron last year. I am so happy that I play the i3+.

The i3+ was vastly improved over the i3 O-Size (which stands for Optimum size not oversize). The sole was reinvented after rigorous testing and it was well worth the effort.

Thread Information