|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Driver Swing Speed and Shaft Flex

I am looking to get fitted for a new driver and my current swing speed is right at 115. I have always hit stiff to X-stiff shafts on all my clubs. Well not the putter. I am hitting my average drive around 265. Here's the question...if I slow down my swing speed when does it get to the piont that I should consider using another shaft flex? I have been told to try and slow my speed to achieve better and more consistant shot control, but I do not want to lose a lot of distance. Will a regular flex hurt my distance?

Just say no to reg flex

Going from x to r is a big move. The r will probably give you more distance but might be impossible to control at your speed. I would think moving to s is the right idea but also keep in mind that different manufacturers use different swing speed ranges for their flex designations. The Aldila NV's are listed as reg flex for swing speed between 90-100 but many manufacturers would say that 90-100 is their s flex. Good luck and actually hit as many combinations as you can before you buy.

Thanks. I am in the process of hitting as many as possible. The one thing that I find interesting is how golf shops differ in what they push you towards. I never thought that it would be this hard to get a straight answer from shops. They are trying to sell the BIG ticket items.

just another thought...you might want to try some graphite design shafts because I think they offer alot of their shafts in a R/S flex which is supposed to be between reg and stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by therealdude
    just another thought...you might want to try some graphite design shafts because I think they offer alot of their shafts in a R/S flex which is supposed to be between reg and stiff.
    Harrison shafts also have a lot of A/R, R/F, F/S shafts. If the shaft isn't tipped, it plays the softer flex, and is butt cut to the proper length. If it is tipped, it plays the firmer flex, and is butt cut a smaller amount to make the same length.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Find a demo range that is not pushing for sale

You swing speed starts to go into pro range, mine average around 90 mph. But I can tell the differences among various combinations of head designs and shaft differences. Labels on the shaft does not indicate too much, you have to test them, find one which you can point and smack consistently, you will be amazed how different head/shaft combination could do. For example, I have a stiff purple ice on Adams Redline, regular on 3 wood (not as good in control) and X on 7 wood; When I hit Taylor Made X-580 with purple ice, balls flying all over the place.

These days shafts also differ in tip flex, the softer one can gain additional distance but with X-stiff upper shaft; tip size also matters, to me, 0.350" tip could feel much more stable. I found torque less than 3.5 works lot better for me to tighten the dispersion.

The stiffer shaft I can't hit, but quite suitable for you are SMT shafts (Accuflex etc), Grafalloy Blue or simlar; YS-7,8 and 9 or other high end from Grahite Design could suit you well.

Downflex could impact your ball direction dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonplayer_fl
    I am looking to get fitted for a new driver and my current swing speed is right at 115. I have always hit stiff to X-stiff shafts on all my clubs. Well not the putter. I am hitting my average drive around 265. Here's the question...if I slow down my swing speed when does it get to the piont that I should consider using another shaft flex? I have been told to try and slow my speed to achieve better and more consistant shot control, but I do not want to lose a lot of distance. Will a regular flex hurt my distance?

The standard theory is, you should GAIN distance with a softer shaft, but lose control. The standard theory is you should use the softest shaft you can control, presumably giving you maximum distance. Manufacturers use very different standards for what they call regular, stiff, X, etc., so you really can't compare them. Fittings, fittings, and fittings should help - i.e., seek out the opportunities to get "fitted" by different pros, with different manufacturer club/shaft combos, etc. - don't let them try to make you take it personally as far as who you should believe, or buy from: you should get a sense after several fittings as to what is really best for you, as well as who is best for you to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonplayer_fl
    My feeling is that anything over 95 should have an X Stiff shaft, particularlly with graphite shafts.

However, there's something wrong with your numbers. You say you have a 115 mph swing yet you only hit the ball 265. Your swing speed is actually more like 90-95, or you have a terrible driver, you make terrible ball contact,or your playing a 1980's circa ball.

At any rate, you got some issues. Do you know by any chance what your ball speed is off the club? It should be about 50% more than swing speed. If it's not then you need to play with your shafts, and get your swing under control.

Me for example, I can hit the ball just as far with a nice-easy swing as I can when I swing as hard as I can because of improved contact, and better extension.

Thread Information