|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Drivers vs Swing Speed

I never believe anyone who makes absurd claims of enormous improvement in distance when using a new driver. Please!! Swing speed is swing speed. A different shaft may change swing speed some. The newer driver head may offer more forgiveness===more likely more confidence. Unless a golfer gets lessons or perhaps becomes more physically fit and flexible, an additional 30 yrs is out of the question. Please!!!!

What's an internet golf forum good for unless you can claim your new driver added 30 yards to you tee shots!!
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by vhootowl View Post
    I never believe anyone who makes absurd claims of enormous improvement in distance when using a new driver. Please!! Swing speed is swing speed. A different shaft may change swing speed some. The newer driver head may offer more forgiveness===more likely more confidence. Unless a golfer gets lessons or perhaps becomes more physically fit and flexible, an additional 30 yrs is out of the question. Please!!!!
    In the past six months, I have managed to rework some of my existing drivers to gain another 20-30 yards in carry and total distance. No lessons. No exercises or workout routines other than sqeezing a Gripp II ball. In fact, my swing speed dropped several MPH. How on earth did I manage that? Just a little setup modification.

Can't agree, vhootowl. I recently bought a new driver, killed a fellow inmate with it and they gave me another 30 years.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    Can't agree, vhootowl. I recently bought a new driver, killed a fellow inmate with it and they gave me another 30 years.
    That ain't nuttin. One of them Kennedy Cousins done kilt him a girl with a 9 iron and he got LIFE.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    I never keep a driver itb more then a couple yrs. I bought 2 of the same model, so I may use the same one for several yrs.
    I absolutely crush my current one 20 yrs further then any other.
    I played in a 4 man best ball last weekend, I love them, I was the last one to drive everytime, I would make sure we had a safe one in play, and would procede to grip it and rip it. I've never hit the ball so far as that day. Of course they played everyone of my drives except one. We finished 10 under with a 62 in second place.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

It's possible to gain 30 yards but ONLY under the following scenarios:

• Your current driver is persimmon or 43 inches long.
    • The shaft, loft and flex in your current driver is completely wrong for your trajectory and swing speed.
    • You just took lessons and learned how to swing correctly.

Otherwise, it's impossible to go from one modern driver to another and gain that much yardage. C.O.R cannot be improved upon and driver head size cannot go over 460cc. Therefore, a new driver will not provide even 20 yards of extra distance.

Also, don't forget the psychological factor of purchasing a new driver. We all hit it great during the first round and I strongly believe that we conveniently forget how far we've hit our past drives on a familiar course.

I've bought new drivers before and on certain holes I would claim "this is the longest drive I've ever hit!!". Upon further reflection I soon realized that I had indeed hit the ball to the exact same spot or even further with previous drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    That ain't nuttin. One of them Kennedy Cousins done kilt him a girl with a 9 iron and he got LIFE.
    If you've experimented with different shafts, there's a good chance you've found the difference between the best and the worst is at least 30 yards.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    It's possible to gain 30 yards but ONLY under the following scenarios:

• Your current driver is persimmon or 43 inches long.
    • The shaft, loft and flex in your current driver is completely wrong for your trajectory and swing speed.
    • You just took lessons and learned how to swing correctly.

Otherwise, it's impossible to go from one modern driver to another and gain that much yardage. C.O.R cannot be improved upon and driver head size cannot go over 460cc. Therefore, a new driver will not provide even 20 yards of extra distance.

Also, don't forget the psychological factor of purchasing a new driver. We all hit it great during the first round and I strongly believe that we conveniently forget how far we've hit our past drives on a familiar course.

I've bought new drivers before and on certain holes I would claim "this is the longest drive I've ever hit!!". Upon further reflection I soon realized that I had indeed hit the ball to the exact same spot or even further with previous drivers.
    There are 3 fitting criteria that you have overlooked - launch angle, spin, and angle of decent. Any or all of this could easily get you 25 yards over an ill fitted drive. I've watched it over and over in fitting sessions on a range using a trackman. I do agree that if you are reasonably fitted for a driver you are not going to get big gains in distance. But the average and dispersion might be tighter.

Furthermore, swing speed isn't "the" factor. What you is king is ball speed. To get optimum ball speed you need to hit the diver in the sweet spot to get a high smash factor. For me, I get higher swing speed with a light weight drive/shaft combination but I hit the sweet spot about half as often as I do with a heavier combination.

Also, if you live in a wet climate with soft soils like I do you might want two drivers. One the is lower launch, longer run (draw) driver for summer and a high launch, all carry driver (cut) for summer.

Thread Information