|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Guidance?

Guidance?

I have been playing golf for a long time and I have now reached the handicap of 9. I have played with the same set of clubs since I started and I feel that it is time to change clubs if I am going to be able to get a lower handicap. Although I could get a lower handicap with these clubs beacuse golf is mostly about your swing and mental game but I am simply a bit bored with the clubs I`ve got right now.

The only clubs I have changed are the putter and the SW, the rest is old.
    Right now I play: Wilson Firestick Graphite Irons, Never Compromise Beta|Zi putter, Cleveland Sandwedge and some cheap Callaway copys as Driver and Metalwoods.

I am going to buy a new set of irons and a new Driver and a Spoon and a 5 Metalwood.

The problem is that I don`t know what to buy. I have been testing a couple of clubs and I hit them good, atleast better than my old ones. The key word for me is FORGIVNESS. I want clubs with a big sweet spot and almost a butter like feeling on impact.

I have been thinking about the Taylor Made R580 for Driver and Callaway Steelhead Plus as Spoon and 5 metalwood and Ben Hogan Apex Plus or Callaway X-14 as irons.
    All regular shafts.

Anyone who can give me a feedback on that club selection or give me some tips on even better clubs? I am 19 years old.

A little side question too, is a low lofted driver harder to play than a high lofted driver if the shaft are identical? Lets say a 10.5 degree and a 9 degree driver.

Thank You!

Ok, lets sum the advice your are going to get here at GR. 'demo'; 'what's works for me, won't work for you' ....Get the drift? No concrete advice.

I feel that though its best to demo and see for yourself, the reason people ask for equipment buying advice is to draw on the expericences of people who have already used them or maybe people like me who can't demo much and just have to order off ebay based on reviews. So I'll recommed what I have tried and tested.

The TM R580XD is a good choice. I have the r7 and the Nike Ignite 460CC. I feel the Ignite is a bit longer than the r7 but r7 has a more manageable head. And you would need a VERY consistent swing path to benefit from the cartridge settings. So its in essense the same as the R580XD.

Irons - Not many would recommend any Nike equipment. I have used the Callaway ERC Fusion (prob the cosliest set of irons, crap like honma aside) and the slingshots. The slinghshots are way better. That's my opinion. X-14's aren't my cup of tea but I'd recommend the mizuno's MP-33, if you are looking for blades.

A word about the hybrids. Consider a TM mid rescue or CPR by Nike. They provide great accuracy with distance. I am a low handicapper too but have problems hitting long irons like 2I, 3I. Also they are very good for second shots on par 5s when lies aren't that good. These are very easy to hit. If you have a slice problem the nike CPR is a better option as it has a major draw bias.

Side Question - I find that the 10.5 just has a very high ball trajectory and not suitable in windy conditions (again for ME). I don't find it tougher to hit but then I never had any trouble getting the ball in the air.
    [FONT=Arial]Girish Dayalan[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by WhoElseButMe
    Ok, lets sum the advice your are going to get here at GR. 'demo'; 'what's works for me, won't work for you' ....Get the drift? No concrete advice.
    I forgot to say that, ofcourse I understand that you can`t give me an direct answer on which clubs I should buy since you haven`t seen me play.

But the fact is that I am in a somewhat similar situation as you, my pro shop only has old clubs for demo and I have not tested any clubs of the ones that I have been thinking of buying. So I have to rely on what other people say.

I realize that the difference between getting a set of irons or a driver from TM,Callaway,Titleist,Nike,Ben Hogan or Mizuno is very small. You will probably learn to play the clubs you buy within a couple of weeks as long as they are not blades or have a badly suited loft or shaft flex.

Maybe I should reformulate my question:

Which drivers,irons and fairway woods are the most forgiving and has the biggest sweet spot without lacking in lenght ? Although this is also a personal opinion for everyone.

Taylormade 540 or 580XD or Titleist 983K. General rule of thumb is to hit a driver that gives you an effective launch loft of about 10 degrees. But the labeled loft on the drive is not necessarily the effective loft depending on your swing. So demo lofts and get something that is mostly carry and just 10-15 yards of roll.

If you talking cavity back irons, Apex Plus are nice and I love Mizuno MP-30's.

Good luck

For irons, also consider the Cleveland TA 5, 6, or 7 series, the Mizuno MX 20 or 23's, or the Tommy Armour 845's.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Thread Information