|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Callaway Heavenwood Question

I was hitting the Callaway 3H RH Steel Heavenwood club at a local golf shop and decided to make the purchase. I was hitting it well in the practice area and then did so again on the mats of my local driving range.

Well, I played 18 for the first time this year last Sunday and every time I took the heavenwood out and tried to hit the ball, I just drove it deeper into the ground in front of my lie. This happened three times.

I believe that my swing angle is too steep causing excessive back spin. I think I just need to use more of a sweeping motion to produce better ball strikes. This is my first time with a utility wood. I heard great things about them. Although I was hitting my 3 iron fairly well, I thought I would give this a try.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong. Any others make the transition from a long iron to a rescue wood and want to share their reasons for succeeding. I appreciate any advice you all may have.

I hit my 2h on long par 3 and narrow par 4 and 5's. I get decent results when I use a fairway metal type of swing which is more sweeping than trapping but you must still hit down a little bit on the ball. It sounds to me like you really didn't know what you were in for since you hit the club off the mat initially. It is always a good idea to at least demo off grass. It sounds like you are getting a bit over the top so try keep your head behind the ball when you make contact.

Good Luck!

Callaway's heaven wood feels bit strange for me, the weight distribution of the head feels wrong in my hand. I can't normally hit 80% of the 3 irons, but handle 90% of fairway woods alright, maybe 90% of the true hybid like Snake Eyes quick strike, Sonartec transition MD etc. Never like the half size fairway woods. I 'd try Ping's HL 3 iron, it 's one of those 20% 3 irons I can hit well and long.

Sometimes I start the fairway wood 2-3 inches behind the ball, it would smooth my downswing and force me to sweep through and give a long follow through

I tried a Heavenwood, but found the shallow face difficult for me to hit well. I am used to playing Taylormade Rescue Mids and now more recently, Hogan CFT hybrids. I find the Hogans very easy to hit from a large number of lies. The Heavenwoods were "touchy" for me; it was hard to find the balance between too fat and too thin. That's just my opinion, though. Others love them......
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I would agree that a fairway wood type swing is better for the Heavenwood and a lot of hybrids. I was going to sell mine early on with a problem of a very low trajectory but have grown to love it. Hope you start hitting it better.

Quote Originally Posted by progolfer33
    I would agree that a fairway wood type swing is better for the Heavenwood and a lot of hybrids. I was going to sell mine early on with a problem of a very low trajectory but have grown to love it. Hope you start hitting it better.
    I also had the experience of a lower than expected trajectory with the Heavenwoods. I expected a higher trajectory, based on the low face height and presumably low center of gravity.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I have the sonartec 19* 2i equiv. rescue and love it. I could sweep it or hit down on it and it flies great. I personally like to hit down on it. Love this club. Thinking about getting a 3i one also even though I hit my 3i pretty good, I think I could do better though. Don't care for the heaven wood. Weight distribution seems lousy and feel of club head. As long as the people that bought them like em great!

shaft and your down swing angle typically plays more role in ball trajectory given the same head design; heavenly wood just seems to have unqiue weight distribution apart from other woods, might take longer to get use to. I'd play month or two with at least 5 rounds, reshaft if you still think it's too low, dump it if it still doesn't work.

Sonartec is a great utility club, but its loft typically plays to 1-2 club (2-4 degree) stronger than the same loft of most of the other woods on the market, at least in my hands (~ 90 mph on driver swing). For example, the 17* plays right to most of 13-15* 3 woods, 15* I had for a few months, can't get it longer than 17* most of the time, probablely suited for 100mph+ swing. Wish the face width could be 0.5" less.

Thread Information