|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Ten Finger Grip

Ten Finger Grip

Just wondering if any of you guys out there have a ten finger grip (baseball grip). Also what are the drawbacks and advantages(if any) of using the ten finger grip.

I personally grip the club with all ten fingers and lately have been fighting a severe hook with my woods. Would changing to an interlocking grip help me any?

Funny you should ask. I changed to a 10 finger grip last year and I have been striking the ball at least as good as I ever did when I overlapped. I just feel more comfortable that way.

I guess the one drawback, for me, is that with 10 fingers I tend to squeeze a little too hard. I have to consciously tell myself to loosen my grip sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by straight shooter
    Just wondering if any of you guys out there have a ten finger grip (baseball grip). Also what are the drawbacks and advantages(if any) of using the ten finger grip.

I personally grip the club with all ten fingers and lately have been fighting a severe hook with my woods. Would changing to an interlocking grip help me any?
    10 finger grip is not a baseball grip. Common mistake.

10 finger is simply when the club is gripped in the fingers, not in your palms.

I just heard a stat the other day that's there's only a few players on tour with that grip. Not sure if that's true. Probably because it's not taught much to youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauro
    Funny you should ask. I changed to a 10 finger grip last year and I have been striking the ball at least as good as I ever did when I overlapped. I just feel more comfortable that way.

I guess the one drawback, for me, is that with 10 fingers I tend to squeeze a little too hard. I have to consciously tell myself to loosen my grip sometimes.

exactly my problem.....I still feel more cofident with the ten finger grip when using my wedges and irons but when it comes to using my woods I tend to squueeze hard and turn my hands over resulting in some hooks....the funny part about the whole thing is that up until the end of last year I was always fighting a slice and now I rarely ever slice the ball. I was considering teh interlocking grip simply because it discourages me from squuezing too hard....but I just am not that confident with it.

exactly my problem.....I still feel more cofident with the ten finger grip when using my wedges and irons but when it comes to using my woods I tend to squueeze hard and turn my hands over resulting in some hooks....the funny part about the whole thing is that up until the end of last year I was always fighting a slice and now I rarely ever slice the ball. I was considering teh interlocking grip simply because it discourages me from squuezing too hard....but I just am not that confident with it.

It will take a little getting used to. I had the shanks around this time last year and the only way I kicked them was to change my grip. It was, and is now, an overlap, but I went to the interlock and it worked. I couldnt grip the club too tightly and it kept my hands working together. It felt un-comfortable to me so I modified it to an "inter-lap". Im right handed and so instead of my right little finger locking, it just fit into the gap there. It wouldnt fit all the way, but it does keep the hands working together a little better than a 10 finger grip.
    I hate bogeys.

I use the interlocking, but it is modified. I'm right handed, and broke my thumb years ago and had to change my grip. I still interlock, but I can not keep my left thumb pointing down the shaft. So I grip the club with my left hand like a baseball bat, which I have had to make lots of adjustments for because it caused a really strong grip. In turn it made me learn to hit the ball right to left, but I really have to think about a light grip, or that ball is going left hard. Before the injury, I used overlapping, if I did that now the club would fly out of my hands.

I have the ten finger grip learned golf that way and play well enough not to change. interlocking I can't stand the feel and overlapping is ok I can swing with fine it feels strong with my right hand and too weak with my left.

Tight fairways I use an overlap. Wide open fairways I use baseball (ten fingers) grip and get between ten and twenty additional yards. The hands seem to snap through better with the BBG...just don't have the control. This is for driver only. All other shots are with overlap grip.

When I was first learning golf, I was taught to use the interlocking grip, but it just wasn't a good fit for me because I have pretty small hands. The last couple fingers of my left hand would always come off the club at the top my backswing with some of the longer clubs, and I'd tend to hit really bad shots out of thick rough due to the club twisting in my hands after the clubhead would get caught up in the grass.

A while ago I switched from the interlock to the ten-fingered, and after the growing in process was over, I've been playing some of the best golf of my life. The key thing to remember when playing a ten-fingered grip is that it's still a golf grip, not a baseball grip.

That means the club should be held more in your fingers than in your palms (as with all ways of gripping the club). For me, the best check is to grip the club, and then lift my hands up and look at my middle knuckles. If they are all in a straight line down the length of the grip, I am in pretty good shape. I still do this before every shot as part of my routine. If you played alot of baseball before golf, when you look at your grip, the middle knuckles on your right hand might be closer to in line with the knuckles closes to your wrist on your left hand, because you are used to that type of grip.

baseball grip for me. i was diagnosed w/parkinson's 2 yrs ago, and it's mostly in my left hand, so it helps...

Olde Sycamore Golf Plantation - Charlotte, NC
    When I first started playing I used the ten fingered grip because of all the years of baseball I played. What I figured out was that I tended to have too much right hand action in my swing. I tried the Varden overlap.... couldn't feel comfortable. I then switched to the interlocking grip and haven't changed in over 15 years. What is funny is that most of the pros that I see use the overlap grip except for Tiger and maybe a few others. Go with what is comfortable and work with it till you get the right results.

Quote Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post

I originally wrote this to a person that didn't care ... so I copied and pasted it here for you. At least you seemed serious about golf so I wanted to put it to good use.

Yes, I wanted to respond to that person who said that the Ten finger grip isn't for the better golfer. I hit an even par with it at a difficult long golf course. I switched to the overlapping grip (vardan grip) because of pressure I felt to get the right grip. I was going to golf school and I wanted to be correct in all things. Well this set me back for some time. I hit thousands of balls to finally feel somewhat comfortable with the varden grip. And I used this grip for two three summers. I never totally was able to get back to the feeling that the ten finger grip gave me. Now finally two days ago I had enouph with the so-called correct grip, varden overlapping grip. I spent one day practicing the 10 finger grip again. And BOOM ... I was quickly back to a far more accurate swing and shots. For me the Baseball grip feels natural and comfortable. Now I can get back to my original 7 handicap that I had before I switched. Now i expect to go far lower than that now that my confidence can't be shaken by doubters. I know from experience that this grip can be superior if one is willing to stick with it (for the person who likes it better). I'm not talking about distance either, which ofcourse it can bring. I'm certainly talking about short wedges, mid irons, and driver. The mind and body can work this out for the person who develops the vision for this grip and swing along with it. The mind will work with the body as a person continues to swing the club. The people who think that the baseball grip will cause a hook too often are wrong. The mind will direct the body to create a different swing path to offset this tendency. And the mind and body don't forget previous errors in the swing path. I am unable to hook because my mind will not allow my body to swing the wrong way. Ofcourse this is after I have hit many, many, many buckets of balls---day after day--week and after week--month after month---year after year. And for me this is a fun process. Why? Because I have faith that the mind, spirit, soul and body are always working naturally to correct problems if you trust and believe in yourself .... that all things can be worked out with much time spent on the range.

I keep recounting but i still come up with only eight fingers. Am i deformed?
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins View Post
    No you're normal Dave. It's FD that's the deformed one. Ever since he had the extra, nostril sized fingers surgically attached he's had to go to the 10 finger grip. The upside is that he's booger free...
    Last edited by noshuz; 06-20-2011 at 10:45 AM.
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Quote Originally Posted by restfulateaseswing View Post
    I originally wrote this to a person that didn't care ... so I copied and pasted it here for you. At least you seemed serious about golf so I wanted to put it to good use.

Yes, I wanted to respond to that person who said that the Ten finger grip isn't for the better golfer. I hit an even par with it at a difficult long golf course. I switched to the overlapping grip (vardan grip) because of pressure I felt to get the right grip. I was going to golf school and I wanted to be correct in all things. Well this set me back for some time. I hit thousands of balls to finally feel somewhat comfortable with the varden grip. And I used this grip for two three summers. I never totally was able to get back to the feeling that the ten finger grip gave me. Now finally two days ago I had enouph with the so-called correct grip, varden overlapping grip. I spent one day practicing the 10 finger grip again. And BOOM ... I was quickly back to a far more accurate swing and shots. For me the Baseball grip feels natural and comfortable. Now I can get back to my original 7 handicap that I had before I switched. Now i expect to go far lower than that now that my confidence can't be shaken by doubters. I know from experience that this grip can be superior if one is willing to stick with it (for the person who likes it better). I'm not talking about distance either, which ofcourse it can bring. I'm certainly talking about short wedges, mid irons, and driver. The mind and body can work this out for the person who develops the vision for this grip and swing along with it. The mind will work with the body as a person continues to swing the club. The people who think that the baseball grip will cause a hook too often are wrong. The mind will direct the body to create a different swing path to offset this tendency. And the mind and body don't forget previous errors in the swing path. I am unable to hook because my mind will not allow my body to swing the wrong way. Ofcourse this is after I have hit many, many, many buckets of balls---day after day--week and after week--month after month---year after year. And for me this is a fun process. Why? Because I have faith that the mind, spirit, soul and body are always working naturally to correct problems if you trust and believe in yourself .... that all things can be worked out with much time spent on the range.
    Say thar sunshine. While I appreciate you trying to help someone out, it appears that straightshooter hasn't posted here since 2005. I doubt that he'll ever see this.
    team obnoxious
    ===============================================
    WITB: Hybrids. The ones that took FamousDavis down......

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins View Post
    No you're just not very good at counting.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by noshuz View Post
    No you're normal Dave. It's FD that's the deformed one. Ever since he had the extra, nostril sized fingers surgically attached he's had to go to the 10 finger grip. The upside is that he's booger free...
    I've always preferred the two finger "six pack" grip.
    Last edited by famousdavis; 06-20-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

Thread Information