|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Pitching questions.......

Recnetly I converted over to the one plane swing with great success. The only area of my game I'M having trouble incorperating is pitching. The one plane is great but I'M getting the feeling that a different type of swing for pitch shots maybe required? Lately my pitch shots have driffted left, come up short, dead right from leaving the face wide open, no distance control, etc. Nothing consistant to build on.... I saw recently that the blob that is Dave Pelz and his finesse swing recomends taking the hips & shoulders back at one time and then through together. It sounds simple enough but I'M not so sure.....ANyone want to discuss pitching technique to help me out? ANy other one plane golfers face this issue and if so what did you do to overcome it?

I was given a quick chipping lesson at the end of my latest lesson from a local pro. This was the first chipping lesson for me (after 30 years hehe).

This is the technique I learned for typical chip shots:

Set up with your feet at a 45 degree angle away from the ball in relation to the ball and target
    Line up your shoulders at a straight line to the target
    Swing only using your shoulders and arms. There should be no movement with the wrists. Your shoulders, arms, and clubhead should remain on a line directly at the target during the entire swing.

This is very different from what I was doing including the set up.

For a bump and run shot, simply have the ball farther back in your stance.

For flop shots, use the same set up, but open the club face and swing outside-in (way outside).

I'm switching from using a 60 degree for all chips to a 56 degree for this technique.

Have fun!
    -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep it Simple

I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple. Don't open your clubface on a pitch. Use wedges of different lofts and vary where you put the ball in your stance to achieve different trajectories and spin rates. I carry a 48, 54, and 58 degree in my bag. You say what about the flop shot? I say forget it. It's a low percentage shot and most of the pros who deploy it have specially designed wedges with custom grinds that allow them to open the club face without hitting it fat. Mickelson even rarely hits a flop anymore. Of course, it helps not to short side yourself so that a flop is necessary to get up and down too. ;-)

I agree with the other post on stance, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee'd Off
    Recnetly I converted over to the one plane swing with great success. The only area of my game I'M having trouble incorperating is pitching. The one plane is great but I'M getting the feeling that a different type of swing for pitch shots maybe required? Lately my pitch shots have driffted left, come up short, dead right from leaving the face wide open, no distance control, etc. Nothing consistant to build on.... I saw recently that the blob that is Dave Pelz and his finesse swing recomends taking the hips & shoulders back at one time and then through together. It sounds simple enough but I'M not so sure.....ANyone want to discuss pitching technique to help me out? ANy other one plane golfers face this issue and if so what did you do to overcome it?

Thread Information