|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Question Please Help Newbie with Questions!

I have a couple of questions thought maybe a couple of you might help me out. First of all I love this sight have found lots of interesting reviews as well as insight and instruction. I am just getting back into golf after a 2 year hiatus. When I last played on a regular basis I was just getting my game to be consistently in the low 90's and actually broke into the 80's a couple of times. Since I have been back I seem to have developed a couple of swing flaws. First I seem to hit the ball reall fat at times if I even hit it at all. By that I mean sometimes I hit the ground so hard behinf the ball that I take a very deep divot and miss the ball entirely. The divot seem to start away from my body and go towards my left foot.( I am a right handed golfer). The other problem is I seem to pull the ball alot which would probably coincide with my divot direction. Sometimes I pul very badly sometimes very little. I don't always do these things but they do make me think about before every swing. PLEASE HELP. any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Greg:

Please go out now and get some lessons. Starting fresh is a great great opportunity to get new, and correct methods into your game. I would find a pro and commit to a series of 3-4 lessons over the summer with much play and practice in between.

Your fat shots are the result of a downward movement with your head and shoulders. The reason your divot points toward your left foot is because you are starting your downswing with your hands and shoulders - which is causing the "over the top" move that is absolute Death to a good golf game - and by far - is the most common swing fault in golf today. Your swing plane is likely very wrong and as you play and practice now - you are grinding this bad swing plane/movement into your "muscle memory". This is why - as you begin anew - you have a wonderful opportunity to get lessons and learn the game properly. Your golf mind at this point is "tabla rosa".

This cannot be corrected on the internet. You must have someone with you in person. A $250 investment in lessons over 3 months will pay huge dividends for you in the future.

You should get lessons if you have the time and money I find the lessons with the camera set up are really good so u can c urself and understand what they want uto do.

Anyway you are swinging outside in. Coming over the top .And diping ur lest shoulder.

If u imagine a line that goes from ur target through the middle of ur ball.U are starting on the outside or far side from u, and then when u make contact u r coming in or closer to u in other words crossing the line. Pro's keep there club on the target line for very long time in both back swing and follow through. Drill set two clubs parrallel to target line behind ball one on either side.Watch ur backswing and make it stay between them.Place tee parralell to target line in front off ball like 6 in and a foot.Make sure u swing through then on ur follow swing.

U also need to consentrate on keeping ur left shoulder at the same hieghth throughout ur swing if u dip then its deadly and can cause that big divot and lots of fat shots.

I think that u are also picking up ur hands.They should swing back like they are hanging at the end off ur arms. When the natural swing of ur arms makes the arms start to arc upwards ur hands just go with them don't try to lift the club because then u have to come down whatever u go up instead of just swinging down.

Good luck hope this helps get a lesson or two it can really make a diff.
    lol

Absolutely; lessons ASAP. The more you practice bad habits the harder it is to eradicate them later.
    A good pro will spot the flaw immediately and offer suggestions on how to do it right. DON'T go out and buy new equipment until the flaw is fixed.
    Good luck and welcome to the board.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Thread Information