|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Ball strategy for a duffer in a select ball tournament....HELP!

Okay guys, help me out here, will be playing in my first ever four man select ball tournament. What that means is that we will each hit , then pick the best from each and all hit from there til we make it.

Is it permissable to switch balls in between shots?

I am thinking if you can switch balls, then for the drive you just go with a long distance ball. Then you switch to a softer ball as you approach the green. Is it legal to do this?

Any other tricks of the trade?

Thanks.

I believe that the rules state that you must play the same ball from tee to green unless it is lost. You may switch balls between holes but not on any one given hole.

Someone with a rule book may have a more precise ruling, but I believe this is the case.

GoMocs............

Where I live that kind of tournament is called a "shamble", as opposed to, I guess, a "scramble". Since the format for both kinds of tournaments is really "illegal", that is, it's not a legal golf tournament format, I would say go ahead and do what you are suggesting. As long as that particular tournament doesn't have a rule about switching balls.
    A lot of folks around here switch balls during scramble tournaments.....they use a "driving ball" then switch to their regular ball from there on.

I have played in a few of these and many folks switch. They use one ball to get to the green and have their favorite putting ball from there. I agree with just do it unless your "tournament" has rules against that.

Play well.

Since the whole format is non rule conforming each tornament can decide but I have never heard of any not letting u do that in a scramble its pretty lax format.

Why is the scramble format so popular in charity tournaments? Is it because it if a faster game, more enjoyable for lesser players?????

I am playing in my first on June 3. Very timely thread for me. I had the same question about the balls myself.

One additional question though- If your ball location is selected to play from, can you pick up and clean your ball??

Guys:

I've probably played in 50 charity scrambles...

1) Sure go ahead and change balls. You are picking your ball up all the time in a scramble because much of the time you are playing from one of your teammates position on the course. I'd change balls without hesitation...

(I usually play with Pro-V1x or U-Tri Tours which are expensive..for scrambles I always save some inexpensive but long flying balls like Pinnacle Distance in my shed. I'll take these dudes out and use them on the drives...I dont care if I lose them because they are cheap...Then on the approach, I'll switch to the high spinning Titlest or Precept)

2) As a generality, in most scrambles I have played in, they permit moving the "selected ball" one clublength from where it stopped. So you may pick it up, clean it and find a nice tuft of grass to put that puppy for your ideal lie.

Scrambles are very very lax events with a bunch of beer drinking and the organizers are counting on the players to followed a relaxed set of rules...

Have fun and always make sure to have your worst putter go first on the green and your best putter go last...

Driving theory?

Should you have your first guy who drives be the one most likely just to keep it in the fairway? Thinking if you do that, get a decent shot out on the fairway, the other guys can just grip it and rip it and not worry.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMocs
    Should you have your first guy who drives be the one most likely just to keep it in the fairway? Thinking if you do that, get a decent shot out on the fairway, the other guys can just grip it and rip it and not worry.
    You are on target in a big way here...get one out there in the fairway and let your big gun come in last and Grip It and Rip It...

ok 1) its against the rules period. 2) The official ruling like earlier stated is that you play the same ball tee to green unless its lost ooooorrrrrr if it is broken.

i wouldnt try it.... it isn't worth suspension from the tourney

but...

But Benguk..this is a select shot tourney. You literally pick up your ball and not hit it unless it is determined to be the best one of the four.....not a normal medal play tournament

Quote Originally Posted by GoMocs
    But Benguk..this is a select shot tourney. You literally pick up your ball and not hit it unless it is determined to be the best one of the four.....not a normal medal play tournament
    but it says the rule covers all types of play.

Give your head a shake you fella...

Benguk..... Are you really that serious about golf? Or are you not old enough to play in a scramble? I am not a very good player, 18 handicap, your what a 25? Anyways, these are just for fun, there wouldn't be any type of suspension for changing your ball. I always use a really hard ball off the tee in a scamble then switch to a precept after, even if we use my drive.

Just my opinion, try not to hold it against me..

Jay

I don't understand Benguk's issue. The whole format is contrary to the rules of golf. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to legally use a score from a scramble for handicap purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay72
    Benguk..... Are you really that serious about golf? Or are you not old enough to play in a scramble? I am not a very good player, 18 handicap, your what a 25? Anyways, these are just for fun, there wouldn't be any type of suspension for changing your ball. I always use a really hard ball off the tee in a scamble then switch to a precept after, even if we use my drive.

Just my opinion, try not to hold it against me..

Jay
    Exactly! Most of these are charity or corporate tournaments and I use the word "tournament" very lightly.

Thank you.... my ponit exactly....

Bottom Line

USE WHATEVER BALL YOU WANT WHEN YOU WANT, AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO FEEL LIKE YOU ARE BREAKING THE RULES.

Yes, a Scramble is a team golf format that was put together primarily for charity tournaments.

In addition to playing in charity scrambles, my traveling golf group has played afternoon scrambles for 20+ years, after our morning individual rounds are completed. We do this because the team dynamic can be a blast...and a bunch of beer drinking while watching a teammate hit the huge drive or drain the 25 foot eagle putt is great.

Remember, you are picking up your ball all day and moving it and so are your teammates. Say you hit your drive 200 yards into the woods and your teammate hits it 275 right down the middle. You are moving your ball effing 75 yards!! And then you are dropping a clean ball onto a prime spot within a clublength of your teammates ball...

Sure - change that ball without hesitation. What if you lost yours in the woods? Are you going to return to the tee and hit again? Hell no - you blaze by in your cart and chug right up to your teammates postion, drop a brand new ball down and blast away...

Yep.

I've played in scrambles before, tons o' fun. Don't know what I was thinking with my earlier comment; mea culpa.

Thread Information