|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Unhappy I there Any One Left

So much talk about fairway woods are their any of us left who would rather hit a long iron?
    I have an 18* that is great but would much rather be in 2i,3i or 4i range on a par five. Am I the only one or does anyone else still enjoy there long Irons.

Quote Originally Posted by jordoo
    So much talk about fairway woods are their any of us left who would rather hit a long iron?
    I have an 18* that is great but would much rather be in 2i,3i or 4i range on a par five. Am I the only one or does anyone else still enjoy there long Irons.
    I still hit them, but I had to go with cavity backs for a little more forgiveness. TA7's over my older MP-14's. Hard to hit blades consistantly anymore. I am not planning on buying hybrid clubs anytime soon either.

i dont carry any fairway woods with me, i have a utility 3 iron and then irons.
    So im wiht you m8
    COME ON THE IRONS

I still have blades but will conceed that when I get older my Hogan apex II might be too hard to hit. I have a set off nice forged cavitty back Peerles PHD's Those long Irons are easyer to hit but distance is not as consistant.

I used to carry 1i and no Farway wood, but I feel like I can do the same things with my 2i and since adding my 18* i WOULD NEVER GO BACK its very versitile.

Nice to know u guys are out there.lol

I play 2i on the par 5's 75% of the time and on the long 200+ par 3s. I rather have the iron in my hand over the 3 wood but sometimes being 275+ to the pin I will give the 3w a shot. I was talking to a pro shop guy about my next set of irons and told him that I want to have a 17* or 17.5* 2i which ever makes me happy instead of the 18.5* Im hitting right now. That way I can get the distance of a 1iron with the club head of a 2iron. I've watched people with their irons and some of them I think should stay away from 4i and up. I don't base that on the slices or hooks from drivers cause I've watched some amazing iron players that couldn't hit woods for nothing. It also takes years of work to get the long irons to go straight or long enough to justly play them. Also when golfers get older and smoking that 2/3 isn't possible anymore hitting the woods makes more sense. -keep pumping the irons

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jinusow
    I play 2i on the par 5's 75% of the time and on the long 200+ par 3s. I rather have the iron in my hand over the 3 wood but sometimes being 275+ to the pin I will give the 3w a shot. I was talking to a pro shop guy about my next set of irons and told him that I want to have a 17* or 17.5* 2i which ever makes me happy instead of the 18.5* Im hitting right now. That way I can get the distance of a 1iron with the club head of a 2iron. I've watched people with their irons and some of them I think should stay away from 4i and up. I don't base that on the slices or hooks from drivers cause I've watched some amazing iron players that couldn't hit woods for nothing. It also takes years of work to get the long irons to go straight or long enough to justly play them. Also when golfers get older and smoking that 2/3 isn't possible anymore hitting the woods makes more sense. -keep pumping the irons
    I heard a great tip the other day for playing more consistant long irons...Take your 3, or 2, and pick a spot about 50 yards away and try to land the ball as close as possible to your target. Dont set up all fancy like, just a simple address, and a half punch like shot, hit smooth and easy, dont force it. When you can do that often, lengthen your target to say 70 yards, and continue to land you shot at that range. As you slowly lengthen your you target you'll realize just how far you can hit with the most minimal effort. The same technique is applied to your driver, its amazing how hard it is to hit your driver 50 or 70 yards. Hope this tip helps anyone, its sure helping me!

I bet if you get blades u could have ur 2i bent to that degree u wanted. I have to get mine checked every year and there are always 2 or 3 that are off they are soft enough to bend.
    I think u can also bend forged cavity backs like that if they are not too offset.

I will never stop pumpin the irons.lol

I never could hit long irons as consistently as I'd like. I'm much happier with hybrids and lofted metalwoods for ease and predictability vs. long irons.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I never could hit long irons as consistently as I'd like. I'm much happier with hybrids and lofted metalwoods for ease and predictability vs. long irons.
    What long irons do u leave out and how many woods do u carry?

Quote Originally Posted by jordoo
    What long irons do u leave out and how many woods do u carry?
    I play a driver and 3 wood always, and usually a 5 wood. Usually I use the Hogan CFT hybrids to replace my 3 and 4 irons, and start with regular irons at the 5. If I know I'm going to be playing on a very hilly course with elevated greens and/or a lot of short greenside bunkers to carry, I'll use a 7 wood instead of the #3 hybrid to get a higher lofted shot and more spin for sticking greens (unless it's windy, then the 7 wood never gets out of its cover). I can also vary the number and loft options on wedges so I can go from 2 to 4 wedges based on the type of course and conditions, and what longer clubs I want to play.
    Basically, I adjust the mix of woods, hybrids, and wedges to match the course and expected playing conditions.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I have given up the long irons. I carry driver, 3 wood, hybrid 3 iron, hybrid 4 iron. I much prefer the hybrids to the long irons. I wouldn't imagine I will ever go back to the irons.

I will say that it was hard in the beginning with my regular playing partners ribbing me. However, after they realized how well I was able to play balls from the rough with the hybrids, I have converted a couple of them. They are easier to hit for me.

To each his own, though. There is no combo that is right for everyone.

I can hit a 4-iron well and work when needed too but for some reason and can't hit a 3-iron to save my a--. So I carry a TM Rescue mid in 19* and choke about 2 inches for 3-iron distance and use full shaft for 5 wood distance. The only wood I carry is a 4 wood but hitting a 2-iron consistenly well (I can hit 2 and 3-iron consistenly poorly) is a goal I don't think I'll achieve soon.
    Last edited by therealdude; 05-12-2005 at 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling error

Yeah, I will be getting a set of forged irons, but because I play left handed it's not like I can get them cheap and besides I'm going to spend a lot of time tweaking the clubs that way they "feel" prefect on each shot. I guess that I'm a real feel golfer I dislike graphite on clubs My 3w has a steel shaft because graphite is like sponge you get little feel. I like to think that is why I developed such an amazing skill for the 2 iron. Also, being as I spent years never hitting a driver because I sliced horribly; therefore, I only hit my 2i off the tee. Here's a funny story about my 2i that I like to tell. I play high school golf and one year my coaches changed to new guys. The coaches didn't know how I played they just went by the year before ranks and the first tournment on the 12th hole the coaches are watching me get up to the tee with a distrubed look on their faces like I mustn't be good. I smoke the 2i about 230 and they get excited like lets see the driver I must be JD or something. Too bad the coaches were losers and thought because I was a junior at that time they couldn't fix my driver swing. 5 years after high school because I can afford the cost now I fixed my swing at the range in 3 months.

i have experimented with long irons, i own a slingshot 2 iron but frankly I would rather hit the ball with a broom stick. I own a 18* hybrid and might get another higher lofted mabe, but im at 14 clubs for now.

Quote Originally Posted by jinusow
    Yeah, I will be getting a set of forged irons, but because I play left handed it's not like I can get them cheap and besides I'm going to spend a lot of time tweaking the clubs that way they "feel" prefect on each shot. I guess that I'm a real feel golfer I dislike graphite on clubs My 3w has a steel shaft because graphite is like sponge you get little feel. I like to think that is why I developed such an amazing skill for the 2 iron. Also, being as I spent years never hitting a driver because I sliced horribly; therefore, I only hit my 2i off the tee. Here's a funny story about my 2i that I like to tell. I play high school golf and one year my coaches changed to new guys. The coaches didn't know how I played they just went by the year before ranks and the first tournment on the 12th hole the coaches are watching me get up to the tee with a distrubed look on their faces like I mustn't be good. I smoke the 2i about 230 and they get excited like lets see the driver I must be JD or something. Too bad the coaches were losers and thought because I was a junior at that time they couldn't fix my driver swing. 5 years after high school because I can afford the cost now I fixed my swing at the range in 3 months.
    I'm with u on the steel shafts. Love the feedback but I have found that the 75 gram stiff proforce shafts with cord grip are pretty good and if u get stiff tips it s very hard to over swing them.Cord grips give a little added feel. I play s-300 in everything other than my driver and 18* and of corse the putter.lol If u hit a blade with steel shaft and full cord don't reallly need to look to c what happened u always know.

I plan to stay with my Titleist 690 MB long irons. To me, it just comes down to how you feel about gimmicks. I bought the 690 MB's to get away from gimmicks and concentrate on my swing.
    -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i carry a driver, 3 wood (recently switched to graphite in 3 wood, i don't miss steel at all), 19* hybrid, 3 iron down. i really don't mind hitting long irons and a 2 iron used to be my money club, BUT since i haven't had the time to practice lately...i switched to a rescue.

I can't use a 5 wood though, it just seems awkward hitting a wood that only goes 235-240ish.

Talking

real men hit two irons, while hybrids are great if you can hit a two why not?

Thread Information