|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Titleist 681 vs. Mizuno MP-14

I was wondering if anyone has tried both of these sets of irons and could give me some imput on how they are alike, different and which one they prefered. please be specific. thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by titleist944
    I was wondering if anyone has tried both of these sets of irons and could give me some imput on how they are alike, different and which one they prefered. please be specific. thanks
    I've played with both. The MP14 is a little bit smaller head, and has a little lower center of gravity. In addition, it has really "old school" lofts. The 3i has a loft of 23* and the PW has a loft of 50*. The 681 really has a much lower ball flight. Bottom line: both are great irons, just depends on what you are looking for.

I've owned 3 sets of MP-14s (still have 2) and a set of 681s, and I'm currently playing the relatively new 680s. To add to/agree with the previously reply, heads on the 14's are smaller and shallower, which some people (me included) prefer. Edges on the 14s are more rounded in nature. I felt the 681s had sharp-looking edges, which I thought cheapened their appearance. My 681s had DG S300s, and I thought they just felt hard and harsh, and consequently after about 6 rounds I sold them. Found a new set of the 680s not too long ago and I think they're a big improvement over the 681s. The Titleist stamping on the back of the 680s looks a lot higher quality than the 681s, IMO. The lofts on the 14s are indeed very weak - I changed mine to 21,24,27,31,35,39,43,47 and they play fabulously at those settings. Mizuno used a heavier head in 2000, the last year they were made, and consequently, shortened their standard length by 1/4" to keep the swingweight the same, so depending on the year you're looking at the length may be different. I'm a big fan of both Titleist and Mizuno in general, but I'd give the nod to the 14s over the 681s, and would call the 14s equivalent to the 680s. A lot of it is personal preference though. I have a new never-been-hit set of 14s if you're interested. Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andyville99
    I have a new never-been-hit set of 14s if you're interested. Andy

I probably interested, pm me the details.

Thread Information