|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

inexpensive clubs

I bought some new clubs approximately one year ago. I made the mistake of not testing them extensively, and to make a long story short they don't work for me. I went back to my old clubs which are "walmart" specials. Truth is a play much better with them. My question is what brand of club is of decent quality without the 500+ price tag. I plan to trade in my old set which should offset some of the cost, but I just can't justify buying an expensive set. I have been told "Armour" is good brand and not very expensive.

armour is good..

also adams has some good deals for not many quid

Adams
    MD : the forged oversize look sweet
    Progen : lots of good choices
    Snake eyes
    Raven
    Giant
    KZG
    I havent hit sets by each manufacture but i have heard good things about all of them.

Before deciding on new ones, do you know why the old ones don't work for you, is there something specific about them that is causing a problem? Losing distance, don't look or feel right, possibly blades that sting the hands on impact? Are you sure it isn't a swing issue that could be fixed with a $30 lesson? Only asking so you can get recommendation for clubs are different than the ones you have now and don't like. What clubs do you have now?

I would agree with GoMocs on a standard club, you can get a great set of Adams irons for around $200 at Dicks. Search Cubfanbob post for the last few days, he not only linked the Adams, but some Armours for about the same price, it was in a thread with "Zevo" in the title.

no its not a swing issue, I actually got a few lessons which got me on the right track. I bought the tour edge hybrid set, because I hit the ball fat and I hoped these clubs would get through the turf a little easier. Once I started to make consistent contact I realized that the clubs were to heavy and I actually hit the ball to high with those clubs. Also when I hit the occasional fat shot now with the tour edge clubs they really dig while my older clubs don't

Here is the thread I mentioned. Look at Cubfanbob's post. You may want to stay away from the second set listed, they are Adams as well, but they are the newer set which is composed on some Hybrid clubs, probably somewhat similar to the Tour Edge models you are getting rid of now. The GT's are pretty decent from what I've heard, and for $200 are probably pretty hard to beat, the 3rd set are Armours.

http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=3475

nice price

http://www.golfdiscount.com/Detail.bok?id=1275

includes free shipping and extra wedges

but first

check here, rockbottomgolf.com has some killer deals sometimes

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/irons-ironsets.html

Adams GT2 irons (set of 10) retail for $250-329, of course $200-$250 on ebay
    Giant GOLF gentle giant or GX2 (set of 10) for under $100 on ebay

If you can live with decent used sets, mizuno MX-20, Callway's X-14 (pro) would top my list, decent ones are under $200-300 on ebay, they are very forgiving and having the blade feel.

Driver and woods/hybrids ($25-$100, even new ones):
    Snake Eyes/Golfsmith/Killer Bee
    Adams
    Tour Edge

If you are looking to save a buck or two find a Trader golf near you. The one here in Buford, GA has LOADS of good quality used clubs.
    If you have money to burn, go to Dick's and get some clubs fitted for you. From what I hear, if you find a set you like, and they meet your requirements for weight, then getting them fitted with shafts to match your swing speed will probably be your best bet.
    If you really play better with the Wal-mart specials, then use them.
    Heck, I bet if you had them custom fitted, and found a shaft that suits your swing speed, you'd LOVE them.
    You might get funny looks from people at the store, but who cares what you swing, as long as you play well with them.
    As for hitting fat sometimes, that's more you than the clubs, unless you are using 30 yr old clubs that weigh a ton.
    I recommend Taylor Made, and get them fitted.
    I played with my neighbor's Ping eye2s, and liked them too.
    Hey, what do I know, I play with FZ300s...

adams GT2 Undercut

I like the Adams GT2 Undercut Irons alot. I have owned and traded away alot of expensive set of irons. These are the cheepest set of irons I have owned in a long time, but I score alot better with these. My friends think I'm lying about how much I have been playing because of my lower scores. The only draw back is I don't have people saying those are nice clubs how do you like them? But they are saying good shot. The local paper had an ad for these at Golf Galaxy for 199.00 (Plus 2 wedges). Also Bass Pro Shops had the same price ( I know that sounds strange but they have a nice golf section).
    Speaking of Bass the Bassmaster Elite 50 tournament is in town. And on the first day Kevin VanDam breaks the freakin lake record (11lb 13oz.) These pro fisherman are tearing up this lake like a pro golfer would tear up your local course. I thought I would just throw that out there.

thanks for all the help guys, I think I am going to go with rockbottom golf they have a set of Armours for 149, they have the same shape and look of my walmart clubs, which are "Knights" by the way. My only concern is I could not find any reviews for these clubs they are the 835 hot scots. I see a lot of reviews for the 845s and all have been good. I am just wondering why there are not more reviews of this club, according to the retail price they are more expensive than the 845s which leads me to believe they are a later model and they definitely look like a later model when compared to the look of the 845s. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by pogodo
    thanks for all the help guys, I think I am going to go with rockbottom golf they have a set of Armours for 149, they have the same shape and look of my walmart clubs, which are "Knights" by the way. My only concern is I could not find any reviews for these clubs they are the 835 hot scots. I see a lot of reviews for the 845s and all have been good. I am just wondering why there are not more reviews of this club, according to the retail price they are more expensive than the 845s which leads me to believe they are a later model and they definitely look like a later model when compared to the look of the 845s. Any ideas?
    I wouldn't give ANY credence to ANY listed "retail" price, so don't assume that the 835 Hot Scots are more expensive or better than the 845s. I think the 835 Hot Scots are indeed a "newer" model, but it's tough to find any definitive information since the Armour company has gone through a couple ownership changes in the past few years and the Armour website (www.tommyarmourgolf.com) is "under construction". I might suggest emailing Rock Bottom Golf and asking them.

I will say that I think the "newer" versions [shiny finish, no loft numbers on the clubfaces, cheap rubber grips instead of the Golf Pride Armour Tour Wrap] of the 845s and 855s irons are inferior to the originals. I bought a "newer" set of 855s irons from Golf Galaxy last summer and ended up selling them on eBay this spring and finding a set of the originals.

If you decide to go with the 835 Hot Scots, you might try buying them from Rock Bottom Golf via one of their eBay auctions - I just checked recent sales and those sets are have sold for between $88-125 on eBay the last week or so.

Caveat Emptor!
    Last edited by Cubfanbob; 06-04-2005 at 09:04 AM.

Thread Information