|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Custom clubs vs. normal clubs

Hello, I am a relatively new golfer using my dad's old custom clubs. They're Callaway clones, and he is 5'11", while I am 5'6". He got them made custom a few years ago so they have different lies, shaft lengths, lofts, offset, etc. The thing is that I'm learning on these clubs, but I want to get a new set, probably the TaylorMade OS. But...should I get that new set before I get too comfortable with my dad's clubs, especially since they have different specs than normal clubs? B/c i don't want to develop a swing around my dad's clubs, then have to re-tinker my swing all over again once i get my own set because they're normal specs...

Depends on how different from "standard" they really are. If they're not +length they can be bent back to standard lie/loft etc.

If you want new clubs anyway I'd say go for it but hit lots before deciding ANY club is the club you want. Ads+names may sell clubs but feel and performance is what should close the deal for you. I felt very disconnected from what was happening at impact when I hit the TM OS's. I didn't have any problems hitting them straight and high but the feel wasn't what I was after (and the look of them at set-up disturbed my eye).

Welcome to golf... enjoy it. Lessons will reward you far more than equipment will unless the clones are pure crap.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

Hehe thanx for the reply neverman. Yeah, I drop by Copeland's to try different clubs every few days, but so far the TM OS and the Nike Slingshots feel the best. I'm taking lessons too, so part of me feels like I should wait until i finish those before getting the new clubs.

Shaft lengths between you and him are probably only different by around 1/4", I'm guessing. The lie and possibly the shaft flex will be the biggest difference, and possibly only the lie. I'm not sure of your gender, but this may have an impact on the shaft flex as well, unless you are male or a fairly athletic female then it may not matter. I think I would go with the clubs until you develop your swing then get fitted. You would probably suffer more later (mainly cost wise) on if you were too buy new clubs now, as you may then have to buy new ones after your swing develops. When you get new clubs, I don't think you will have to change your swing, so much as you aim. You may find that you hit his clubs left of center if you are right handed (guessing the lie on his). If the shafts on his are regular flex, they should work great for beginning. If they are a stiff flex, your distance and accuracy may vary a little from normal. Another consideration though that may matter. If the clubs are not cavity backs, but instead blades or musclebacks, you might find them alot harder to hit, as they are alot less forgiving than cavity backs.

My wife was 5'6 and start playing with a standard set of clubs, which are normally designed for someone who is roughly 5'10-5'11", I believe. She played with them for about 3 1/2 years, when switching to the new ones with a flatter lie and more flexible shaft, she did not conciously change anything in her swing, but she did have to readjust her aim. It took her a little while to get used to the new clubs, but not any longer then me, and mine were fairly close to standard.

Fyi, I will say I am in no way an expert at this, but just my opinion. Then again, if you really want new clubs, it's not necessarily a bad option, just could be more expensive. They do have uniflex shafts now that may allow you to use them for quite some time, the shaft is probably the key thing that may change in time.
    Last edited by PA Jayhawk; 06-06-2005 at 04:10 AM.

Thanx for replying Jayhawk! I think the big difference that I notice with my dad's clubs is that I have to choke up a lot so that I can get the club bottom flat on the ground, b/c if I don't I end up further away from the ball and the club face is pointing slightly left. (BTW I'm a right handed male) His clubs are cavity back, graphite shafts. I'm not really worried about having to buy new clubs after my swing develops though. For one thing I'd rather buy a nice set now and learn around those, plus I have a friend that works at Copeland's so he'll get me a discount, so I want to exploit him while the going's good. =)

I was wondering with whether I would need to get the clubs custom fitted, but the shop pro said I probably wouldn't need to, plus if your wife didn't need to i think I'll be able to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by banpei
    Thanx for replying Jayhawk! I think the big difference that I notice with my dad's clubs is that I have to choke up a lot so that I can get the club bottom flat on the ground, b/c if I don't I end up further away from the ball and the club face is pointing slightly left. (BTW I'm a right handed male) His clubs are cavity back, graphite shafts. I'm not really worried about having to buy new clubs after my swing develops though. For one thing I'd rather buy a nice set now and learn around those, plus I have a friend that works at Copeland's so he'll get me a discount, so I want to exploit him while the going's good. =)

I was wondering with whether I would need to get the clubs custom fitted, but the shop pro said I probably wouldn't need to, plus if your wife didn't need to i think I'll be able to manage.
    My wife did get fitted for her new clubs. At 5'6" she got clubs which were standard for women, but in fact 2 degrees flat compared to mens. The standard set she used where the old ones.

I'm not sure it would be beneficial to learn by choking down on the club, that would probably get really old really fast, and at normal length, it will go left with a more upright club.(especially if it is visually noticable). Clubs fit for you may be the better way to go. If you don't want to get fit and wait but just get a cheaper set, you may see if they have womens clubs with a regular shaft, as opposed to a flex shaft that are sometimes standard in womens clubs (this may have been what the pro shop had in mind?). Another option is to shorten the shafts on the ones you have, however, in doing so you are going to lose distance (as you will by choking down on the club). Probably just a better option to get fitted if the money isn't a big issue.
    Last edited by PA Jayhawk; 06-06-2005 at 11:03 AM.

Thread Information