|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

A golfers worst nightmare....losing your game!!

I have sympathy for David Duval & the loss of his once great game. Why you might say? Because I have lost my game! For the last 4 years I teared into the game...practice sessions, lessons from a competant pro, lots of on course playing time. Earlier this spring I shot my best score which was a round of 75. Then total disaster...my game went on hiatus! Now my scores see me shooting 100+! It is so bad I can't even grip the club without feeling uncomfortable. My swing feels terrible and my hands seem to be twisting & my forearms feel like they are getting tied into knots! Went to see the pro and he was stunned! Gave me some drills and we tried to work it out! That was two weeks ago and my game has only gotten worse! My swing is all out of synch and I'M at the point where I want to walk away from the game and not look back......the only thing is I can't..well at least not yet anyway! I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong! Its not a mental thing either...I think alot of that mental garbage is overhyped BS anyway! Folks this is the worst thing I have ever had to go through in regards to golf! I was gearing up to play a state tourney in August but now I'M embarrased just to go to the range! My game was a house of cards and I don't think I can go with another 4 years of building! I'M so disgusted with myself, the game, and anything related with golf for that matter......no clue as to where and why my game is dead.....

Maybe it's mostly psychological. When you get tentative your muscles tighten or you decelerate through your swing or you stop watching the ball properly. Not that I'm good or anything but that happens to me sometimes. I just try to stay relaxed and keep my muscles loose, make sure I accelerate through, and keep my eye on the ball. Usually all it takes is one little thing to throw off a swing like not following through properly. I say just visualize what a good shot used to look like to you and keep that in your head before your swing. Who knows, it might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee'd Off
    I have sympathy for David Duval & the loss of his once great game. Why you might say? Because I have lost my game! For the last 4 years I teared into the game...practice sessions, lessons from a competant pro, lots of on course playing time. Earlier this spring I shot my best score which was a round of 75. Then total disaster...my game went on hiatus! Now my scores see me shooting 100+! It is so bad I can't even grip the club without feeling uncomfortable. My swing feels terrible and my hands seem to be twisting & my forearms feel like they are getting tied into knots! Went to see the pro and he was stunned! Gave me some drills and we tried to work it out! That was two weeks ago and my game has only gotten worse! My swing is all out of synch and I'M at the point where I want to walk away from the game and not look back......the only thing is I can't..well at least not yet anyway! I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong! Its not a mental thing either...I think alot of that mental garbage is overhyped BS anyway! Folks this is the worst thing I have ever had to go through in regards to golf! I was gearing up to play a state tourney in August but now I'M embarrased just to go to the range! My game was a house of cards and I don't think I can go with another 4 years of building! I'M so disgusted with myself, the game, and anything related with golf for that matter......no clue as to where and why my game is dead.....
    From reading your forum postings alone (1 and 2 plane swings, among other things), you're trying too many things at once.

Why not just take a break from golf and when you're ready, work on just one thing and nothing else.

Again, don't get too technical or 2nd guessing -- it's a silent killer to your swing and game.

You might also want to try a technique I learned about a few years back to help you relax before a round of golf----drink 2 Budwieser's and 2 shots of Black Sambuca before you leave home. This can also be done at the course if they have a fully stocked 19th hole, although it will cost you more. The amounts and types of beer/liquor can be personalized to suit your tolerance and taste preferences. If you're worried that it didn't quite give you that needed edge, stuff a few more brews and/or a flask in your bag. If, on the other hand, you're worried you may have had 1 too many, then you're probably screwed. However this effect can be minimalized by continuing a hearty imbibing pace to the point where you will either forget or not give a carp about your bad day on the links.

Try Starting Your Swing With Your Hands A Little Forward/ Then Feel Like You're Really Turning Them Over. This Traps The Ball, And Keeps Your Swing On Line. It's Probably Not The Best Advice, But It Sounds Like You Are Really Struggling.
    When I Developed Parkinsons I Really Sweated It Til I Found The Right Combo Of Meds. I Used This Method Til I Got My Feel Back. Good Luck...

Have you tried videotaping your swing? When I taped mine, I was astounded at what I saw. I'm sure an instructor who knows what he is doing could do more with the video, but I learned a lot just doing it myself in my backyard hitting into a net.

I felt that way about this time the past few seasons including this season. I start out okay, take a few lesson and play worse, then start playing well again. I'm at rock bottom right now, but I know I will start playing well.

I couldn't have played any worse in a tournament yesterday, but I still managed to get bogey or par on most holes. If you really want to score like when playing a tournament, you can almost always salvage at least a bogey if you have been playing a long time. I had to just get back into play several times yesterday just to give myself a small chance at saving par. I even won 2nd Net thanks to a perfect handicap (10). With a 9 handicap I wouldn't have won anything. Golf seems to reward anyone that doesn't give up. Don't give up.

Here is the round, btw.

http://www.mygolfdomain.com/round_view.php?round=503
    -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i have a lost and found bin for my game. Sometimes i feel great while sometimes i cant seem to catch the ball right. Sometimes the swing is right, just not the contact.

I have had many times where i have thought i have lost my game. The cure for me every time my game gets out of time, is to start golfing only taking 3/4 swings. A short back swing with a full follow through helps me regain tempo and gain control of my shots. It amazes me every time how far a ball will fly with what seams like very little effort. A slower back swing with a slight pause at the top can also help you regain tempo.
    Last edited by golfsalot27; 06-06-2005 at 06:42 PM. Reason: add a thought

Don't worry man! The more you make yourself believe you're a has-been, the more you'll become one! Sometimes I think, "Wow, my game is falling apart." I actually think I'm crazy playing a game where one day I can be so skilled, accurate, long and straight and the next day look like I haven't touched a golf club my whole life.

It comes with the game, so you're in a slump. Perhaps take a break, a 2-3 week break, a friend of mine is in one right now, usually a low 80's shooter, hes shooting mid 90's, so he's decided not to play golf on the course until the 25th of June.

Man its a game, you aren't playing competitively, relax, have fun with it, and you'll enjoy yourself more and most likely post better scores.

This sounds like a mental problem to me. I recommend that you take a break from golf and do something relaxing. You have to clear your mind. Once you come back, you'll be on your way to finding your game. This will work, I (almost) guarantee it.
    [B][COLOR=Blue][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1]http://grouchygolf.blogspot.com/ [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by maveric
    This sounds like a mental problem to me. I recommend that you take a break from golf and do something relaxing. You have to clear your mind. Once you come back, you'll be on your way to finding your game. This will work, I (almost) guarantee it.
    This is what I think, and what I am doing right now. I've spent the last 3 weeks feeling similar to the original poster. Spending 3-4 days at the range trying to iron out my issues and, 2 days a week on the course knowing I haven't fixed the problem.

After the rounds this weekend, I put my clubs up for the week and don't want to think about what the issue may be, or even swing a club or practice all week. I will be playing this weekend to see how it goes. If it is the same I plan on doing the same next week, and will only be playing once next weekend. I figure the issue is primarily worse on the course, maybe if I don't take the baggage on the course, the problem will be solved. If not I will probably take another lesson in a few weeks. If my wife and I didn't play together, I would probably just take 2 weeks off, but If I have issues this weekend, I will just take them as practice rounds and hit Mulligans and enjoy the round, or just tee off with my 6 iron after the first couple holes.

Anytime I've been away for golf for a week or two in the past, I went back with a fresh uncluttered mind, and usually played really well. I know in the time this has been going on, my iron play has taken off, probably because I am not thinking at all about my irons and just letting my body swing the club.

The truth is that ur mental states effect u physically and what started as a couple of bad swings turned into a mental thing and then into a physical swing problem. We have all battled with losing our games some worse than others . But reamember anything lost can be found just look where u last used it (the golf course). When my game is in a bad way i just play i never practice because it gives me to much time to think about stuff when u play its just one shot and then the next u still can manage the course without a swing and before u know it ur hittin better and better.

Good Luck I Know it Sucks
    Every set should come with a 2 iron!

This thread is starting to give me a hankering to want to go rent Bagger Vance, I might have to do that tonight

Sneaky right hand.....

Well this morning went for a tune up lesson to salvage myself & game. The Pro again watched me swing with awful results...until he said AHHHAAAA! He had me swing again and then stop just before impact! Lo & behold I was disgusted at what I saw! My right hand on the downswing was creeping under the club causing it to open! Add in the body trying to compensate for this & you get miserable ball flights & all sorts of problems! The funny thing is I would take a neutral grip in my set up and the right hand with a mind of its own would start twisting trying to get under the club! I could not even feel this action since my grip preasure is light! The Pro gave me one of those Momentus weighted clubs with a molded grip that places your hands in a neutral position and had me swing it for about 10 minutes! I could feel the difference after a few swings...my feel was returning.....no weird type feeling in the hands....the forearms rotate back and through nicely now...and power was there as well! After a break I began hitting shots with the irons and there it was......my game! A grip issue of all things! I thought I always had a good grip but that damn right hand messed it up! The cool thing is my Pro gave me that weighted club for nothing since someone had left it on the range a few months ago and he has several already......not bad!

That's good to hear!!!

I just got back from the library, and I did check out Bagger Vance

Last year I started off the season with a considerable improvement in my game, dropping 10 strokes really quick, then I dislocated my ankle and couldn't play for about 2 months...pretty shaky when I started again. This year I did the same thing. I was getting in at least two rounds a week, and was getting my game back to a decent level fairly quickly. To keep the peace at home I cut that back to once a week. The last two rounds I played were two weeks ago...one on a windy Saturday where I lost at least a dozen balls and stopped keeping score on the thrid hole, and then the same thing on a course where I have a memership and had shot a mid 80 the week before...stopped after my third shot on the par 4 10th, that I chipped from one treeline half way down the fairway to the treeline on the opposite side. I got so disgusted I threw my new shafted 7-ion at a rather large tree, snapping it in half, and walked off the course feeling like a total idiot. I am going back for the first full round since that nuclear melt-down, and am hoping I can at least put together a reasonably decent round tonight...if not, there will be a nice set of clubs for sale in the parking lot...shoes and membership included...I have to get rid of my irons anyway...I have no confidence with them at all.

consistancy.........

Consistancy....it is something we all search for in our games! My bad patch saw me going from hitting crisp shots to not even being able to grip the club! I also belive that I suffered from to much research into different types of therioes in regards to the golf swing! Why did I do this?...I was searching for something better...more consistant! After my lesson this morning and getting my game back on track I had a good talk with the guy. The gist of it their are many different ways to swing the golf club that will work and be consistant. The trick is to find which method works for you! What works for one guy doesn't work for another...In my case the method that works for me and generates power & accuracy is that old line 'Swing the Clubhead' ala Ernest Jones & most recently Manuel De La Torre. This swing principal sees the arms as the primary mover in the swing and everything else going along for the ride! I have had alot of success with this method! I got off track because I heard so many that say it is wrong & the legs initiate the swing! Well I tried this method and it did not work for me and as my Pro said anyone duffer or Pro who says there is only one sound way to swing a golf club does not know what they are talking about.........nuff said!

Quote Originally Posted by golfsalot27
    I have had many times where i have thought i have lost my game. The cure for me every time my game gets out of time, is to start golfing only taking 3/4 swings. A short back swing with a full follow through helps me regain tempo and gain control of my shots. It amazes me every time how far a ball will fly with what seams like very little effort. A slower back swing with a slight pause at the top can also help you regain tempo.
    This is superb advice and I use this same technique during a round when I feel it coming apart.

If I am on the range and just cannot get any feel - I go to the 3/4 shot. If I ever shank one on the range - I immediately hit 10 3/4 shots.

And during a round, when I am losing it and need to make a pressure shot - I will use the 3/4 shot.

Give it a try on the range in the next day or so. Start with very small swings, only about a half swing just to begin making solid contact. Stay with these very small swings until you are consistenly striking it. Increase swing length only when you are consistent at the prior length.

Continue until swinging 100%.

Rinse...repeat.

Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

Bravo out.

[QUOTE=Bravo35223]And during a round, when I am losing it and need to make a pressure shot - I will use the 3/4 shot.

When you feel the need to make a 3/4 shot on an approach at the course do you use your normal club for that distance or do take an extra club?

Several years ago I went to the range every day for about a week, with the sole goal of seeing distance lost on 3/4 backswing iron shots. I found that I gained about 10 yards over my full shot, as well as accuracy. Ever since then, my iron shot is a 3/4 backswing.

Unfortunately with my woods or anything under a 5 iron, I lose accuracy as well as distance on a 3/4 swing. I think doing this with a longer shaft kills my tempo, as well as body coil.

Lot of great advice on this thread!

The only thing I would add is sometimes you just need to take time off. Away from the game. When I hear you say "now I'M embarrased just to go to the range"... you said something else.

Every so often you really need to take off a couple weeks, not days, weeks! Just get away from it, do all the things that don't involve golf. Come back a couple weeks later really wanting to play and practise. It makes a big difference just having that burning desire, not the "this is what I do" attitude.

I play and practice so much I find myself in this slump a couple times a year. I may not balloon to a hundred but I see my score slowly rising where breaking 80 is a chore. The best players in the world take time off. Why shouldn't we?
    Cheers,
    Jay

Well, the results of that round are that I still have my golfclubs, and I landed a 165 yard shot just over a foot from the pin and hit the flag, making that my closest thing to a hole in one yet. I played ok, but my driver, usually my weapon, got me into quite a bit of trouble...I guess I should have expected to be a bit off after a two week hiatus, and I was trying to drive 300 every time, which will probably do more harm than good anyway. Of all the great advice so far, I think Jay hit one that is very obvious...taking a break from it made me go back at the course with the frustration of two weeks ago behind me, and my mind set was much more productive - looking for reasons why somehting didn't hapen the way I tried it instead of just getting impatient. Of course I did lose my patience with the guy who played in our group...kept telling me that I was set up to hit my drive into the tree line in the middle of my backswing. I thanked him the first time, informing him that I would take my chances, told him I did not appreciate his interruption of my swing the second time, then told him I would aim my drive at him if he did it again and gave him the option to take his chances with my accuracy...he was probably safe, but it did shut the fool up...is there a rule about throwing fellow golfers instead of your clubs during moments of frustration???

Taking it easy.....

I too like the idea of taking a break from the game to get back on level ground....It is interesting to note that some PGA players both past and present don't belive in everyday practice. When trying to hone your game I have read that 2 trips to the range should be the limit a week. As for the short game & putting alot of practice is needed to devlop the elusive word we call 'feel.' I kinda like this approach since it is cheaper

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Tee'd Off
    ...A grip issue of all things! I thought I always had a good grip but that damn right hand messed it up!...
    Gripping the club incorrectly is often the main problem with most amateurs.

The best tip/drill that I have ever seen to achieve the proper grip came from Butch Harmon. It has done wonders for my game. Good luck.
    [B][COLOR=Blue][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=4]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1]http://grouchygolf.blogspot.com/ [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

I think taking the week off on practicing took all of the garbage out of my head. I can gladly report that I had no snap hooks on my woods as was my problem. I had a lower than normal trajectory on my driver. However, 220 on the fairway is far better than 100 yards in the weeds. It is definately not as embarrassing, like the snap hook. By the end of the round I started to get a little more loft and even less draw. I think I had the ball to far out towards the toe after seeing my early impacts. Being able to get the ball off the tee definately makes the game more fun to play. By the last two holes, I did have some in the 260-270 range that I see on good shots. I could even feel those shots in my hands and ears, which has not been the case for a while.

I'm actually looking forward to my round tomorrow, instead of dreading it all together.

If my ball-striking feels iffy and I just can't get good momentum going, I will go to the chipping range to get the feel back. Also just going back to the basics helps me.

When nothing seems to work, go back to the fundamentals.

To me, this book is one of the best:
    The Modern Fundamentals of Golf:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Hope things are working out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by masayako
    When nothing seems to work, go back to the fundamentals.

To me, this book is one of the best:
    The Modern Fundamentals of Golf:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Hope things are working out for you.
    I went out and bought this book on Thursday, and read it on Friday. I plan on reading it again this week. Although it is only $12 on the book. I saw it was $24 on the amazon link.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Jayhawk
    I went out and bought this book on Thursday, and read it on Friday. I plan on reading it again this week. Although it is only $12 on the book. I saw it was $24 on the amazon link.

So glad you bought it. Make sure to dig into words and not just the pictures. It explains a lot of important ideas which cannot be described in the pictures. The 1st part about Grip and 2nd part about backswing are so so so important. I see so many golfer hacking the balls in the range day and night with wrong grips and incorrect backswings. Makes me sometime jsut want to walk pu to them and tell them what they do wrong. Definitely not trying to say I get my swing 100% right, but everyone should get the fundamentals corrected before able to enjoy golf...

Best of luck, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by masayako
    So glad you bought it. Make sure to dig into words and not just the pictures. It explains a lot of important ideas which cannot be described in the pictures. The 1st part about Grip and 2nd part about backswing are so so so important. I see so many golfer hacking the balls in the range day and night with wrong grips and incorrect backswings. Makes me sometime jsut want to walk pu to them and tell them what they do wrong. Definitely not trying to say I get my swing 100% right, but everyone should get the fundamentals corrected before able to enjoy golf...

Best of luck, guys.
    It seemed to help. When I get in a funk, I get to thinking so much, it's good to get back to fundamentals. Having a snap hook recently, the comment is always, "You are so close to a perfect swing", which is nice to hear until I see my ball go 100 yards deep into the woods. I also went to the range with impact tape for the first time in a while, and may have worked out some issues with that process. Now just the issue of tempo, which is coming around. The way I've been hitting my Irons, putting and chipping. If I can get my woods under control, I really think I can post scores in the 70's again for the first time in 3 years. Their getting close.

Thread Information