|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: shaft flex

shaft flex

OK, here is my question.

Does too stiff a shaft make the ball flight left or right?
    Does too weak a shaft make the ball fly left or right?

I put a nv65 stiff in my TM driver and now I go straight or left. (not hook just an occasional pull). With the stock MAS65 = high cut.

Make sense?

I know it goes either way, but I'm not exactly sure, but I am sure that a certain flex can make you hook/ slice the ball if its not suited to your swing (roughly.)

It also has to do with your swing. I swing a Graffoloy prolaunch, and I hit it great, then I take my old TM360XD, and I can hit that as well, not as long, but a couple range visits and it'll be straight, not as long, not as dependable, but doable.

Wait, did what I just say have anything to do with the topic? Sorry its late.

With a shaft thats too stiff you will tend to see two things a loss of distance and a loss of height poor shots will predominantly go low right with a shaft thats to soft id expect to see predominantly big high hooks but I have read from others on this sight that soft shafts can cause irregular problems hooking one shot slicing the next.

This would probably depend somewhat on your existing club path. I know when I started to swing faster than the shafts on my old clubs can handle, my draw turned into a consistent push to the right (right handed golfer), and even an occassional push fade/slice. Just imagine the club head. If the flex is to much, the clubhead will be lagging behind and open at impact. The faster you swing the more open at impact, to the point where it may impart spin similar to coming over the top. If you are already hitting a fade it could possibly turn to a nasty slice.

I'm not certain too stiff of a shaft will make much of a difference on ball flight, outside of lessening the degree. You would probably hit more consistent and straighter, however you will be robbed of the distance that is generated by the flex of the shaft.

This is all really just thinking through the mechanics, not that I am an expert at this in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AJW
    I have read from others on this sight that soft shafts can cause irregular problems hooking one shot slicing the next.
    Thinking more about it, out of the faiway and Rough or when I didn't fully finish my swing, I would also get some nasty hooks as well.

My woods were pretty much a train wreck waiting to happen. I went from hitting a nice draw aiming down the right side bringing it back into play, to feeling like I was playing "Pin the tail on the Donkey". Spin around 3 times close my eyes and swing. I pretty much had no clue where my ball was going to end up.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Jayhawk
    Just imagine the club head. If the flex is to much, the clubhead will be lagging behind and open at impact. The faster you swing the more open at impact, to the point where it may impart spin similar to coming over the top. If you are already hitting a fade it could possibly turn to a nasty slice.

AGREED!!!
    With the stock shafts, stiff flex, I tend to hit high cut shots. With the Adila NV65 I hit straight shots with a boring trajectory. This goes against with many posts on the subject. I tend to agree with your assessment. I think the face is open at impact ever so slightly which causes the high cut shot - not a low drawl.

Actually a shaft that u can over swing or is not stiff enough four ur swing can be so loaded up that it does really weird stuff. I usually hook them I think its because I get so far ahead of the ball that I am already turning off the line when I make contact it always feels very strang to me when I take my regular swing with a wippy shaft. If I try to swing slower and time it I can hit some better shots and ever some high cuts and stuff but if I really grip it and rip it forget about it its a hook, Or a complete miss hit.
    Every set should come with a 2 iron!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Try swinging your wife/gf's driver....it will launch the ball right and you will feel the kick after you hit the ball.

guys you might wanna try this site

www.shaftfit.com

it is true temper's site so it'll fit you only for grafalloy and true temper shafts based on your info but it is pretty cool.

i play r580 xd 9.5 loft stiff flex. My typical shot is a fade (right) low trajectory or high slice. Due to my swing speed not being fast enough i think.

I think too weak of a shaft means high cut shot for my swing. Now with the Adila N65 I am straight, boting trajectory and occasionally pull it dead left (which is more a fault of overswinging). My swing speed the last time I checked was around 100 mph. This was after surgery a few years ago and I sure it is around 105 mph now.
    This may be more a function of flex point rather than shaft flex.

Had a little chat with a pro today as I took a club in for regripping he said that a shaft thats too weak will exacerbate your natural shot shape. As most players who can over power a shaft tend to be quite good and lose their bad shots left this is the most common result but if you are a natural fader its possible to start slicing shots even with a sound swing. Seamed reasonable to me.

The shots I hit were high with a slight cut (not a fade or slice). They were from 260-300 yards but typically more like 280. I would rather drawl the ball. I tend to hit my irons straight but occasionally pull or push them (Ben Hogan Edge Pro, non-offset). When I played Callaway or other beginner style irons I hooked occasional and always drawled the ball because of the offset (whicjh I hate offset irons). I used to hit a drawl with my driver or straight. Yes, occasional I would hit a ballon shot or a slice or hook but typically straight or drawl.
    I am starting to think it is more a result of not keeping my head down long enough or shaft bend point or shaft torque instead of flex.
    Is the Grafalloy blue shaft stiffer than the Adila NV65?

The Grafalloy Blue may be a hair stiffer than the NV 65.

The real difference is the torque;
    Aldila NV 65 at 3.5
    Grafalloy Blue at 2.8
    Regardless of being regular, stiff, x-stiff the torque measurements are the same.

The Aldila NV 75 has the same torque at 2.8 as the Grafalloy Blue but the Aldila shaft weight goes up about 12 grams (from about 66 gram up to about 78 gram).
    Cheers,
    Jay

Whats a cut shot then? Its not British slang and from reading it in context in other peoples posts I thought it was a slice. Is it a push right goes straight just off line?
    Last edited by AJW; 06-09-2005 at 03:23 PM.

Cut shot is a fade just another way to say it because u cut across the ball I guess
    Every set should come with a 2 iron!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by jordoo
    Cut shot is a fade just another way to say it because u cut across the ball I guess
    Thats what I thought but ike has me confused
    "The shots I hit were high with a slight cut (not a fade or slice)."

Thread Information