|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

5W average distance

Hi guys,

I'm new here. Nice to meet you guys.
    With a 5 wood, what is the average distance a 6 fts guy usually hit?
    I know it's a crazy question to ask. Yes, I will check my swing speed
    this weekend soon. I haven't done that yet.
    I just want to get a ballpark figure of my swing speed. I usually drive the ball ~200-210yards (avg) with a 5 wood.

Quote Originally Posted by masayako
    Hi guys,

I just want to get a ballpark figure of my swing speed. I usually drive the ball ~200-210yards (avg) with a 5 wood.
    My Driver Swing Speed average is 102 (down from 105), tested on a monitor last Friday. So my 5W speed is probably mid to upper 90's. This will also depend on you shot shape, and the loft of your 5w. I hit a draw and get about 225-230 yards average. If you hit a fade, it may be shorter.

Edit 1 - I am 6'1", and use a Ping G2 5w 17* loft with a stiff steel shaft. Before switching, I had an Adams Original Tight Lies with a Regular shaft and 19* loft. I hit this about 15-20 yards shorter, before it became unpredictable with my swing speed.
    Last edited by PA Jayhawk; 06-14-2005 at 03:38 AM.

Well I`m 5`9 185lbs late 40`s with a 110 swing and I getter out there about 225-230.
    If you can do that consistantly it works.

I am 6''3, 235lbs, with a driver swing around 110 (usually 115 but I took some off since switching drivers). I have a Nike T-40 5 wood that I carry an average of 220. The roll depends on the state of the fairway and whether the ball lands in said fairway.

Quote Originally Posted by masayako
    Hi guys,

My fairway wood swingspeed is around 90 mph, and I hit my 5 wood about 200, so I'd guess your swingspeed for that club is low 90's, and your driver swingspeed is probably just under or right around 100.
    Don't get obsessed with swingspeed. Work on a smooth tempo and accuracy!
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    My fairway wood swingspeed is around 90 mph, and I hit my 5 wood about 200, so I'd guess your swingspeed for that club is low 90's, and your driver swingspeed is probably just under or right around 100.
    Don't get obsessed with swingspeed. Work on a smooth tempo and accuracy!
    I think there is a transition point for beginning golfers where they have to come to appreciate the importance of swing speed and distance versus repeatable distance. I agree with dorkman 100% on his point...don't worry about the swing speed as much as the accuracy. When I was trying out one set of irons this year, I was hitting the 6 in a simulator. The salesman (friend of mine and a really good golfer) was in with me and I was averaging 170 carry. I caught a couple really clean and they went out around 205 (with roll). He looked at me grinning and said ''nice miss''. Me, impresed with myself for hitting a 6 iron over 190 carry , looked at him and asked ''miss''. He simply said that my average was 170...what good would 195 do me if I needed 170...don't count on flukes. Knowing where the ball will go most of the time is much more important on the course than hitting a club as far as possible...hence me constantly having my arse handed to me by older guys half my size, who hit much shorter than I do.

dorkman put it best...learn how far you carry your 5, keep it straight, and then use it when it fits the shot. I used to try to force the club to fit the shot..a mistake I still make from time to time but I am getting better at it.

BTW, Masayako, I was referring to myself with the beginner comment as I have no idea how long you have been playing...just adding my 2 cents to what drokman said...hope I didn't offend.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Jayhawk
    My Driver Swing Speed average is 102 (down from 105), tested on a monitor last Friday. So my 5W speed is probably mid to upper 90's. This will also depend on you shot shape, and the loft of your 5w. I hit a draw and get about 225-230 yards average. If you hit a fade, it may be shorter.

Edit 1 - I am 6'1", and use a Ping G2 5w 17* loft with a stiff steel shaft. Before switching, I had an Adams Original Tight Lies with a Regular shaft and 19* loft. I hit this about 15-20 yards shorter, before it became unpredictable with my swing speed.

You're actually hitting a 4 wood now which has to account for some of your distance gain and perhaps all.

I don't have a 5 w but have an 18* that I hit 250 plus. Havn't measured swing speed in a couple of years it use d to be just over 100mph with my 5i back then.
    Every set should come with a 2 iron!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

excellent point by Brent....

I am 6'1 , 185 lbs. My 5w distance is 230 (carry). no idea what my swing speed is.

Quote Originally Posted by therealdude
    You're actually hitting a 4 wood now which has to account for some of your distance gain and perhaps all.
    Hence the reason I mentioned it will depend on the loft of the 5w, and gave 2 examples. There really is no industry standard. Ping calls 17* a 5w, callaway calls it a 5+, Taylormade calls it a 5 (or at least 18*). Obviously the brand you have calls it a 4. To me it is still a 5w, as that is what it says on the club. Tight lies also has a 24* 7w, which is what most consider a 9, Ping has a 20* 7w which is a 5w in some brands.

I also have to side with Dorkman and Brent, my woods and driver are so messed up because of bad tempo, I only wish I had 40 less yards and the consistency I had a year ago.

Granted, I did hit consistently at one point with this speed, but it is a heck of a lot easier to speed up then to slow down. Work on tempo and accuracy, forget about speed and distance. It will come naturally in time, then you will have to learn to deal with it. My swing speed is probably only down because I spent the better part of the last month trying to slow it down. All for 3MPH.

I'm 15 years old, 5'10, 120 pounds i hit my 5 wood 200 yards including carry and roll, straight, no draw. I probably could get a little bit of extra distance from a draw.

5'10 and 120? Is that even healthy?! EAT BOY!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott777
    I'm 15 years old, 5'10, 120 pounds i hit my 5 wood 200 yards including carry and roll, straight, no draw. I probably could get a little bit of extra distance from a draw.

tahts exactly like me
    except somtimes my 5 wood goes like 30 y ards right

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bhangra
    tahts exactly like me
    except somtimes my 5 wood goes like 30 y ards right
    you can easily fix that. just work on closing the club face before impact so that you make square contact. I used to do exactly that also.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Nadeau
    I think there is a transition point for beginning golfers where they have to come to appreciate the importance of swing speed and distance versus repeatable distance. I agree with dorkman 100% on his point...don't worry about the swing speed as much as the accuracy. When I was trying out one set of irons this year, I was hitting the 6 in a simulator. The salesman (friend of mine and a really good golfer) was in with me and I was averaging 170 carry. I caught a couple really clean and they went out around 205 (with roll). He looked at me grinning and said ''nice miss''. Me, impresed with myself for hitting a 6 iron over 190 carry , looked at him and asked ''miss''. He simply said that my average was 170...what good would 195 do me if I needed 170...don't count on flukes. Knowing where the ball will go most of the time is much more important on the course than hitting a club as far as possible...hence me constantly having my arse handed to me by older guys half my size, who hit much shorter than I do.

dorkman put it best...learn how far you carry your 5, keep it straight, and then use it when it fits the shot. I used to try to force the club to fit the shot..a mistake I still make from time to time but I am getting better at it.

BTW, Masayako, I was referring to myself with the beginner comment as I have no idea how long you have been playing...just adding my 2 cents to what drokman said...hope I didn't offend.

Brent/Dorkman,

I totally agree that accurancy is much much more important than swing speed.
    i've been in the game for 2 yrs.and thinking about improving my accurancy day and night.

right now, i reach the point in whichi can only drive my clubs straight 45-50% of the time.
    Other time, it just go a little left or a little right. My problem is due to an inconsistent backswing plane. I'm working on it and becoming more consistent.

Anyway, you didn't offend me at all. I'm still a learner, of course. No one can really graduate from golf. =)
    Last edited by masayako; 06-14-2005 at 06:19 PM.

Thread Information