|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

R7 Quad vs. All the rest

So i was thinking, and i wanted to know what everyone thought of the "revolutionary" R7. It certainly got al ot of publicity with its new found weight moving system. So do think that the R7 beats out the rest of the competitiion, and there is a lot of competition...Big Bertha 454, Nike Ingnite, MacGregor Mac-Tec, Nicklaus Air Max, Zevo Compressor, Cleveland Launcher, R580, R5 dual...and the list runs on. So do u think the R7 tops all the rest or are there better conventional drivers?

I think its a great driver, and I'm glad the screw thing hasn't made SUCH a huge impact on the PGA tour. I understand that most pros use this club, but do you think they need the options it provides? Pros draw and fade the ball on command, they dont need a little weight to do it.

But still a great club, and the price is down, so why not?

the weight changing might be gimmicky, but the thing that sold me is it is the best looking 400cc driver on the market IMO

I think the R7 is one of the sharpest lookin sticks out there too. Although I like the feel of the Titleist drivers.

though the interchangable weights is a new touch, competetive golfers have been adjusting club weighting for years......lead tape......all the top line drivers are going to give you the same thing, max c.o.r., super forgiving face, etc...personally i like something that i know isnt going to get in my way, mentally or physically, the less bells and whistles the better.....i think so anyway. i just picked up a titleist 905T, clean, simple, and you get exactly what you expect every time....

I tried the R7 driver in different lofts and different OEM stock shaft flexes, and couldn't find anything that would make it work for me. I think the shafts just didn't match my swing. It was a meaningless issue about the moveable weights, because I simply couldn't hit the thing consistently at all. I then went out and demo'd a Taylormade 510 TP with a more substantial shaft, and it is still in my bag nearly a year later. I'm sure the moveable weights make some difference, but if the shaft isn't right and the results vary from left to right back to left, and hardly any are straight, there's no fixing that with moveable weights! Others absolutely love their R7's. That's why there is variety and choice. No one club or shaft is good for everyone.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

the r7 quad isn't bad but the moveable weights won't make you a suddenly great driver when you slice every drive 200 yards, then switch something like 10 grams around, i think the nike ignite is completel underated.

Quote Originally Posted by hubijerk
    though the interchangable weights is a new touch, competetive golfers have been adjusting club weighting for years......lead tape......all the top line drivers are going to give you the same thing, max c.o.r., super forgiving face, etc...personally i like something that i know isnt going to get in my way, mentally or physically, the less bells and whistles the better.....i think so anyway. i just picked up a titleist 905T, clean, simple, and you get exactly what you expect every time....
    I agree with you, because i would probably concentrate to much on the wights instead of my shot. I personally like the cobra 460 sz. It's a solid driver just lke the R5 dual.

I think its a good driver for the better player launched at a time when all the OEMs are offering excellent drivers. The most amazing thing about it is how well marketed its been, the movable weights were a unique selling point that allowed it to compete in a very competitive market even at an inflated price.

I love my R7. I have it set neutral and leave it alone, although I did change the shaft.

TM started the metal wood revolution years ago with "Pittsburg Persimmon" and continues to be a leader in metal woods.
    Cheers,
    Jay

I agree with Dorkman that the stock shafts on the R7 are somewhat inconsistent. I switched to an R7 from a 983K recently. At first I didn't really like it but then I switched out the shafts from the stock shaft to something that fits my swing better and it's made a huge difference. The movable weights help a little bit but as a previous poster said, the weights aren't going to create any miracles.

Overall, I like the look and feel of the R7 and the 400cc size is pretty forgiving. However, I don't think it's that much better or worse than any other top line driver from other companies.

It is all a mater of preference, but I never liked the feel and the performance of the R7. When I hit it side by side with a Callaway 454 and Launcher Comp, the R7 performed the worst of the 3. I am sure it fits others games better. But I will stick with my Comp.

/bd

i think its almost unfair, but i dont like it, i would use the Callaway FT-3 big bertha Fusion, i have a ERC fusion and it is the s***
    "I was with my buddy Chip, a white guy, he was drunk, i was high, we were driving around and we got pulled over for speeding. i was nervous, chip who was driving was was drunk, the car smells like weed. i was gonna loose it. chip on the other hand was calm and relaxed. he didnt even turn the radio down. if you got pulled over wouldnt you turn your radio down...[U]Unless you want to get your ass beat to a soundtrack[/U] " Dave chappelle-killing them softly

I know I'm going to piss off a lot of people, but G2 all the way..

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfn

Amen brother! If any club out there should be illegal, it should be that G2, man how the ball flies off my clubface.

Makena North Maui,Challenge at Manele Lanai

R7

I might be a little biased since i'm a Taylor Made guy(at least with woods and rescues) but i think the R7 matches the hype. I have the R7 TP with the Fujikura fit on 11 stiff shaft,and this club is a monster.Granted the weights are slightly gimmicky and won't cure a swing flaw,but they do help if you have a relatively solid repeatable swing.It can be unforgiving,and some don't like the sound it makes,but i'm sold. Drivers are obviously a highly personal feel choice, especially in the upper echelon big money category.

Quote Originally Posted by dgolfer
    So i was thinking, and i wanted to know what everyone thought of the "revolutionary" R7. It certainly got al ot of publicity with its new found weight moving system. So do think that the R7 beats out the rest of the competitiion, and there is a lot of competition...Big Bertha 454, Nike Ingnite, MacGregor Mac-Tec, Nicklaus Air Max, Zevo Compressor, Cleveland Launcher, R580, R5 dual...and the list runs on. So do u think the R7 tops all the rest or are there better conventional drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfn

I hit the G2 this springe a freind has it the shaft he had was a touch flexable 4 me but I was surprised at how live the face was.
    Every set should come with a 2 iron!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I seriously doubt Retief goosen or sergio Garcia has the R7 set on DRAW or FADE...i'm sure its set at neutral...they're just swinging it to publicize Taylor Made...although the weight changing ability may help golfers that are inconsistant..

like BP caddy said...they fade the ball and fraw the ball on command

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I demoed the R7 once and hit the ball pretty straight but not that far. I'll stick with my 454 because it combines the two. The Cobra 460 is also really good.

Thread Information